Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 7 View Post
I am not sure what to expect in the near long term... My thought is that the reason they want higher RPM during regen is that some of the ash is blown through the SCR and out the pipe during the regen.
The reason for the higher RPMs during regen is to keep the exhaust as hot as possible which accelerates the regen process of burning off the soot. The owner's manual for my Kubota specifically states that, and there is a light on the dash that will blink until I raise the rpms up to a level that will get the exhaust temperatures hot enough.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regen 3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	388226

Name:	Idling engine.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	388227

And here's an excerpt from the owner's manual of a Jeep Wrangler with the diesel engine. Only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how I'm supposed to drive at highway speeds for 20 minutes when I'm out in the middle of nowhere on some gnarly trail.

Name:	Jeep diesel warning.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	388228
deserteagle5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how I'm supposed to drive at highway speeds for 20 minutes when I'm out in the middle of nowhere on some gnarly trail.
Attachment 388228
Just put it in lo and keep going
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:30 PM   #31

so why didnt you like the deleted 14? no way you could have had this problem out of it after the delete.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by john1981 View Post
so why didnt you like the deleted 14? no way you could have had this problem out of it after the delete.
I actually still have my '98. One of the first 24 valve Cummins trucks. That thing is insane loud. I have owned it for 20 years. I was a lot younger then and really thought the loud diesel truck was pretty cool.

I quit driving it and only used it for towing for about the last 15 years of my owning it, opting for more fuel efficient gas powered vehicles of various shapes and sizes and got used to the quite ride.

I got a hell of a deal on the '14. It was a high mile truck but it looked and ran fine until one day I got the 150 mile de-rate message. Eventually I found out the DEF pump was bad, and I could not find one (covid BS) and I did what many others do... deleted it. I put a muffler in it because I wanted a quiet truck.

Well, it was too loud for me, and the exhaust stunk up my shop whenever I started it. Petty... Perhaps but I didn't like it.

Then I found this '19 and fell in love with the truck. It was not cheap, but I really liked it and everything was in tact! 3 months into ownership, I get this emissions issue. I made the decision to try to save it rather than delete it, at least at first. Deleting is always an option if this doesn't pan out. The new shop I found told me there are ways to keep it quiet if I end up going that route.

It also should be noted that I am not a HP junky. I drive very conservatively and this truck out of the box will out pull my slightly modified '98 and do it a lot more quietly and efficiently. The Edge tuner I installed for the manual regen's will give me a lot more torque and HP if I elect to do so, but I don't see myself ever going off of "stock" unless I am experimenting with fuel mileage.

Hope this explains a little.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #33

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
While it's not necessary to drive it like you stole it, it is a good idea to drive it like it was intended. By that I mean, drive it long enough to get completely warm, and then some more. Other hints include driving it under load periodically, not just once or twice a year, and use the exhaust brake regularly.

FWIW, I've never seen my exhaust filter read out over 5-10%.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:39 PM   #34

While I don't know much about how Dodge handled service regents having been a Diesel tech for GM until 2015 the principal behind when it occurs is the same. If there are no DTCs set and the system that adds additional fuel to burn off soot in the DPF is functioning then Regen should occur. If you are able to trigger Regen, make sure the cooling system is operating properly the hood is open and the exhaust is clear behind vehicle. The engine will probably be throttled up to 2000 to 3000 rpms for up to a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes and then idled down slowly . Good luck
Old 03-17-2023, 05:51 AM   #35

Ran 1 Ton Dodge, Ford diesels in my small business when this DPF/DEF business started and it was always a cluster. Had a Friend with His new Freightliner (18 Wheeler) burn to the ground and they say it was the regen system went haywire. I know it's against the Law but would try to take that crap off. The only ones that make money are the ones that sell and ones that work on them. Have (2) 6.2 gassers (2017 Fords bought new) that pull my stock trailers around here in Texas and the new 7.3's come in to Dealer in April and we will see about those. Gas is way down on Power compared but at least I ain't left on the side of the rode with 6 or 8 screaming cows. Good Luck Folks.
glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:51 AM   #36

This happened to us on our 2019. Service manager said no way filter should be full. He told us to disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes. We did it for 1 hour and that cleared it. I’ll have to ask my husband if there was something else because I don’t remember.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:05 AM   #37

Mark,
I feel your pain relative to all of that emission BS on the diesels. All of my fellow firefighters who run the various brands of oil burners in their trucks have either deleted or tuned, or both. And some have eliminated the fuel pumps and installed FASS or Air Dog.

My Kubota skid steer has the regen, but thankfully, no DEF fluid. Had I realized that CASE made a skid without either DEF or regen in 2000 when I purchased the Kubota, I would have switched brands. Happy to say that my 2005 CUMMINS Dodge is still in great shape and in stock form.Good luck with your retirement!
Old 03-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Mark,
My Kubota skid steer has the regen, but thankfully, no DEF fluid. Had I realized that CASE made a skid without either DEF or regen in 2000 when I purchased the Kubota, I would have switched brands.
If the Case doesn't have a DPF then it uses a "passive" system which means it is passing the exhaust over a catalyst, regenerating constantly. This is the same system that New Holland and a few other manufacturers use. It has its own problems and you can go on the New Holland tractor forums and read all about them.

All newer diesel engines have either a DPF or DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) system on them. And they are all problematic. AND - they all work best if the engine is worked hard and hot.

But I'm surprised that your 23 year old Kubota has regen. I thought the Tier IV diesel engines requiring DPF or DOC didn't go into effect until around 2012?
deserteagle5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:05 PM   #39

I use Hot Shots Secrets products in my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition 6.7 Cummins and never see a regen light. I use their oil, 5-40 Blue or Green, and their EDT (Everyday Diesel treatment) in my fuel as recommended. it raises the cetane level and adds lubricity for the fuel pumps and injectors. We just finished a 10,000-mile trip from NC to San Padre Island TX to Monterey CA to Seattle to Las Vegas NV back to NC last summer/fall.
cdickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:38 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdickey View Post
I use Hot Shots Secrets products in my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition 6.7 Cummins and never see a regen light. I use their oil, 5-40 Blue or Green, and their EDT (Everyday Diesel treatment) in my fuel as recommended. it raises the cetane level and adds lubricity for the fuel pumps and injectors. We just finished a 10,000-mile trip from NC to San Padre Island TX to Monterey CA to Seattle to Las Vegas NV back to NC last summer/fall.
Your 2008 use DEF? If so, it's a coming. If only DPF, it will but might take a while to see the dreaded light. They all will alert you with something sooner or later.
glens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:50 AM   #41

Thor Owners Club
One thing I have picked up on in all of my research of late is that the 5th gen Ram's regent take care of themselves, and stock you will never know a regen is in progress, at least with any indication on the dash UNLESS the DPF gets to an 80% soot level. It then will give you the REGEN in progress, keep driving indication. If you make enough long trips soot level will never get that high.

After driving about 100 miles, as a matter of fact within the first 20, my soot level gauge went back of to about 40% and settled there. I am thinking it used that time after the 2nd regen to re-learn the levels is was at. The tech at ATI told me I would likely have to "burn" it 3 or 4 times to get it completely clean. The next time I get the truck warmed up and can be around it to monitor another regen I will run it again.

Might be a week or two before that can happen as the weather here is terrible the last 2 weeks. All interstates were closed in ND and SD yesterday because of blowing snow and compacted ice with very high winds and low visibility and since I make my living in those elements I get distracted with dealing with this stuff. Only a month left of winter here, regardless of what the calendar says!
Old 03-18-2023, 08:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
If the Case doesn't have a DPF then it uses a "passive" system which means it is passing the exhaust over a catalyst, regenerating constantly. This is the same system that New Holland and a few other manufacturers use. It has its own problems and you can go on the New Holland tractor forums and read all about them.

All newer diesel engines have either a DPF or DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) system on them. And they are all problematic. AND - they all work best if the engine is worked hard and hot.

But I'm surprised that your 23 year old Kubota has regen. I thought the Tier IV diesel engines requiring DPF or DOC didn't go into effect until around 2012?

I'm old, not the Kubota , it's a 2020. My Kubota tractor is 2000 era, no pollution gadgets on it. My mistake

Tags
cummins, exhaust