Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

Ram factory brake controller

This topic may be beaten to death at this point, but I’m looking for any info or advice anyone can provide.
Long story, short...my 2016 Ram’s brake controller doesn’t apply enough braking pressure to the forest river eco trailer I tow. With the gain set to 10 on heavy electric(factory owner’s manual suggests the heavy electric setting for trailers over 10k lbs, but mine is only ~5k lbs loaded) it feels like I am just downshifting one gear while coasting if I manually engage the brake lever on the dash with no pedal pressure.
First question is, what should it feel like when manually applying the brake lever on the controller when the brakes and controller are operating correctly? Should it brake relatively hard, or is a downshift type feeling normal?
Second question is, has anyone had similar issues AND had a definite fix from Chrysler? What was the fix? Are there any case numbers or anything I can provide to my dealer for proof of an issue?
Their “shop foreman” was a bit...rude and dismissive of my concerns. I do understand that the trailer brakes are supplemental, and not designed for primary stopping. However, even the factory manual states that the trailer tires should lock up at 25-30mph when setting gain.
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #2

Check the trailer brakes first. Make sure they are adjusted properly. My first camper
That was brand new would not lock up the brakes adjusted brake controller trying to make them work better. Adjusted brakes on camper then had to tone down the brake controller. Check trailer brakes first.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your trailer brakes aren't working properly. I have a 16' enclosed tandem trailer that weighs somewhere in the 4500-5000lb range. With my controller on small
(light?) electric and set on 5, you can feel it drag significantly when you hit the brake controller. If I cranked up the controller to about 8 or 9, I could probably stop the truck on level ground using just the trailer brakes.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #4

Thats normal for a Ram OEM TBC. I've had two Rams, a 2012 and now a 2018, both with OEM TBC. Neither would lock the brakes on my trailers when usuing the manual slide lever. However the OEM TBC will stop the trailer perfectly fine while towing out on the hwy. It's the in town part thats lacking.
I've read that Ram TBC's are setup to work that way. It's like Ram has reduced the boost level under 25 mph. It was worse on my 2012 so I installed a P3. The P3 was awesome. Very controllable. My new 18 is lots better than the 2102. I was thinking I'd need the P3 from the 12 in it but it works so much better that I'm sticking with the OEM.
No it won't lock up the brakes at 25 mph so you can adjust the gain. However out on the open road it works great. If I need to stop from 35-65 mph and hit the brakes then I can tell the trailer brakes are working good.

FYI I'm towing 9300 lbs, 6.5 gain, light elec. 2018 6.4 2500.

I would suggest you 1st jack up the tires so they spin freely and make sure your TT brakes are working properly. There's an adjustment wheel on the back of the brakes behind a rubber insert. YouTube adjusting trailer brakes.
2nd take it out on the open road and hit the brakes hard at 35-60 mph. If you feel you're stopping in the right amount of time then all is good.
If not then you may have a blown seal and need the brakes rebuilt.

FWIW I towed the same TT with a 2010 F150 and a 2012 Ram 2500.
The F150's TBC was fantastic. The Rams sucked. I knew the TT brakes were perfect since they work perfect with the F150. The Rams TBC sucked. Hence the P3. I think Ram has worked out some bugs in their TBC since then because my 18 is much better.
If after making sure your TT brakes are fine and you still can stop properly then maybe try a different dealer for the Ram.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

I agree with everyone else, the trailer brakes need adjusting. But also realize you don't want the trailer actually locking up. A tire locked and skidding provides less friction and stopping power than the brakes slowing the wheels. Brakes are at their peak performance just prior to lock-up.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #6

The TT brakes have been checked and adjusted twice by the dealer. Also, it has done this exact thing since new off the lot. I’m having a friend bring their truck over this afternoon to check with his. That way, I can eliminate either my truck or the trailer as being where the issue is.
Even the factory ram owner’s manual describes setting the gain at 20-30 mph and adjusting until just before tire lock up on the trailer. I understand I don’t want them to lock up, but even the ram manual states they should when setting gain levels.
It’s very disappointing to pay to have the factory controller installed on my truck and not have it operate as designed per the factory manual.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

Towing 5500 lbs with a 2017 Ram 1500. Mine is set at level 6. Definitely stops the trailer, and at level 7 the trailer wheels will lock up at lower speeds. You definitely have something wrong.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Yep, definitely something wrong. Not much better off now after trying with my friend’s truck, though. It definitely can be felt through the brake pedal, but the manual lever on the controller is about the same sensation. Going to adjust/check the trailer’s brakes tomorrow or Monday and see what I see there.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #9

I have one. You have to use the arrows on the steering wheel and in the menu system there are different setting for different braking types. Start with finding that and selecting the correct setup. Mine has worked fantastic, but I had to set it up properly first.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

I’ve tried both light electric and heavy electric in that menu with no discernible difference.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

I would look to see if the brakes are working. Have someone step on them then hold an old fashion compass next to the wheel. The needle will move if the magnet is energized and working. Then look at adjustments. They are not auto adjusting.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
have you checked the fuse in your rams fuse box... my ram had a blown fuse in the trailer brake circuit

There should be one fuse specifically for the electric trailer brake.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #13

Also check connections. Bad connections can cause a high current draw which will end up being a voltage loss, which can also result in weak brakes. Make sure you have a ground wire and don't rely on the coupler to ball contact for a ground.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
have you checked the fuse in your rams fuse box... my ram had a blown fuse in the trailer brake circuit

There should be one fuse specifically for the electric trailer brake.

You got me thinking because that would make perfect sense! Unfortunately, it was fine. I had a friend bring his truck over to test the trailer. It did the exact same thing. The trailer is going back to the dealer this coming Wednesday, so I can demonstrate the issue. We’ll see what happens then.

Tags
brake