Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RAM factory trailer tire monitoring sensors

Can anyone help with personal experience on trailer tire pressure sensors that work with the RAM factory option? I assume I'll need to have four sensors mounted inside the trailer tires. Where do I get these, the dealer is researching this so I must be the first to order this option. Here is the line off the build sheet.

Safety & Security Systems:Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System $345
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 06:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
Can anyone help with personal experience on trailer tire pressure sensors that work with the RAM factory option? I assume I'll need to have four sensors mounted inside the trailer tires. Where do I get these, the dealer is researching this so I must be the first to order this option. Here is the line off the build sheet.

No personal experience on that year make and model, but typically when ordering this 4 (or 6 if needed) sensors will be shipped with the vehicle. From my reading they are ready to use with the vehicle if shipped as a new build. It could require a setup at the dealership or repair shop/tire shop once the sensors are mounted on the trailer.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:

Your best bet is to go to a RAM specific web site. Even though RAM has "offered" the option for the last year+, it has only been available to order for the last several months, and just now coming on the new vehicles. From what is being said, you can not retrofit a truck with the system.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
No personal experience on that year make and model, but typically when ordering this 4 (or 6 if needed) sensors will be shipped with the vehicle. From my reading they are ready to use with the vehicle if shipped as a new build. It could require a setup at the dealership or repair shop/tire shop once the sensors are mounted on the trailer.
I wonder if they are internal or the valve cap screw on type? The sales person sent me this
talked to my service manager, and you do have to purchase the sensors. I will send you some information on them!
I will have to see, this whole uncertainty is making me lean toward an aftermarket brand. The option is $345 and if I have to ad the cost of 4 sensors aftermarket it will be.

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate your input.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
I wonder if they are internal or the valve cap screw on type? The sales person sent me this
talked to my service manager, and you do have to purchase the sensors. I will send you some information on them!
I will have to see, this whole uncertainty is making me lean toward an aftermarket brand. The option is $345 and if I have to ad the cost of 4 sensors aftermarket it will be.

I have not ever seen an OEM with external TPMS. If you are trying to make this function on your 2018 RAM system you better make sure it is capable of it. From my reading on it most 2020 domestic trucks have the option but not sure at all on 2018 models.

A good sensor like the Shrader EZ Sensors I sell part #33500 or the even newer version should be programmable to almost any domestic truck.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:

If it could be added to the on board, one less piece of clutter in the cab!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

I think this is a good option for those who travel a lot. I’m in looking stage. YouTube of folks who live in RV for months. Tire failure is issue. You do wonder if they noticed a tire was 20lbs low early. If overheating issue could have been avoided. One mentioned infrared temp gun. Checking brakes, bearings, tires during night refueling. If one thing hotter then rest. Consider why.
I do hand check of tires, hubs. But those things are cheap enough...
Larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #8

The tire sensors should come with your truck .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

The sensors will come with your truck . You will go thru the set up by using your screen in the truck . Probably be able to view an install on U tube .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To Everyone let me reply enmasse

I'm ordering a 2020 build to spec and working with and questioning 3 different dealers they couldn't answer these questions.

Less dash clutter was the main factor in ordering OEM system.

I would assume they would be internal sensors and read on one RAM forum that you have to buy them from the parts dept. and then others say they come with the truck (which the dealer can't confirm)

the few youtube videos just show the factory engineers giving the sales pitch and showing a basic set up. No sensor or parts info.

jacknife if you could steer me to your source that they come with the truck I'll use that to educate my dealer sales/service. thx

All your input is helpful and appreciated, Thank You
Old 05-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm ordering a 2020 build to spec and working with and questioning 3 different dealers they couldn't answer these questions.

Less dash clutter was the main factor in ordering OEM system.

I would assume they would be internal sensors and read on one RAM forum that you have to buy them from the parts dept. and then others say they come with the truck (which the dealer can't confirm)

the few youtube videos just show the factory engineers giving the sales pitch and showing a basic set up. No sensor or parts info.

jacknife if you could steer me to your source that they come with the truck I'll use that to educate my dealer sales/service. thx

All your input is helpful and appreciated, Thank You
I think the RAM name is TTPMS option (trailer tire pressure monitoring system). The sensors will be shipped withthe truck and they will, be internal sensors needing mounting on the trailer wheels. You can set up on the screen yourself or I imagine the selling dealer should do it complimentarily. Makes sure you have enough sensors if you have a 3 axle trailer or such.

If you do end up getting this, could you snap a pic of your sensors before having them mounted? I'd like to cross reference them to my current part numbers. Almsot sure they'll be Shrader sensors and I could use the ones I have to clone svereal sets should you own more than one trailer.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
from the build sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I think the RAM name is TTPMS option (trailer tire pressure monitoring system). The sensors will be shipped withthe truck and they will, be internal sensors needing mounting on the trailer wheels. You can set up on the screen yourself or I imagine the selling dealer should do it complimentarily. Makes sure you have enough sensors if you have a 3 axle trailer or such.

If you do end up getting this, could you snap a pic of your sensors before having them mounted? I'd like to cross reference them to my current part numbers. Almsot sure they'll be Shrader sensors and I could use the ones I have to clone svereal sets should you own more than one trailer.

Still on the fence about this option as dealers can not give me a definitive answer. I will report back if I get this option, I was advised production is likely 90 days.

Here are the group of line items from the build sheet.

Safety & Security Systems:Security Alarm $195
Safety & Security Systems:Remote-Start System $295
Safety & Security Systems:ParkSense® Front and Rear Park-Assist System $395

Safety & Security Systems:Blind-Spot w/Tag Trailer & Cross-Path Detection $695

Old 10-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #13

I ordered my 2020 RAM 2500 with this system. It came with 4 sensors that were in the box under the floor mat on the passenger side. My dealer didn't have a clue. They said it didn't come with sensors - surprise, surprise. I installed them in my new Grand Design 5th wheel and it worked great. I'm now going to order some more for my 3 other trailers. I can't find them online but will call my dealer in the morning. Based on the pic i took of mine, the part number should be P68433188AA.
barryets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 PM   #14

I learn something every time I dive into another thread

I was just reading through this thread, having bought a new 2020 Ram 3500 with UConnect last Thursday and being curious where this discussion was going.

I had already called my dealer on Friday after reading in the manual that the sensors should come with the truck, to ask where my four included tire pressure sensors were, and they never suggested that I look in the bin under the floor.

They were getting some to ship to me (they are 235 miles away).

I also didn't know there was a bin under the floor mat in the back seat. Nobody mentioned that when I was looking at and buying the truck on Thursday.

So when I read that here, I went out to the garage and pulled up the rear mat, and there it was, the bin. Inside was a bag with four tire pressure sensors in it. Also in that bin was a sleeve adapter for the slide-in hitch to go from Class V (2.5") to Class IV (2") stingers. I have already ordered one of these from Amazon because I didn't know the truck came with one. I guess I haven't yet found that in the 560 page owners manual.

There is always someone out there who has the answer, and that is the value of these kind of forums.
Thanks to barryets and to this community for teaching me something today.
RAMer-Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, trailer