Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 PM   #1

RAM "Trailer Reverse Steering Control' experience?

Just picked up a RAM TRX for fun offroad times and it has the TRSC system with the dial under the touchscreen. I have no plans to tow my TT with the TRX, but I will probably end up towing a trailer with a side-by-side or other toys with it eventually so I'm curious to hear if anybody has tried out a system like this...??

I'm very comfortable backing a trailer now thanks to traveling a lot with the TT, so not sure I would ever use this but it could be helpful if my wife ever needed to back one since she's not comfortable doing that at all.

RAM's promo vid makes it look easy but most here probably know that backing in a TT can be a lot of work:

Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 11:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. I didn't know they had such a thing.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:02 AM   #3

Have Ford's version on my 2016 F-150, tried it once just to see how it operated, but haven't used it since. If you are experienced in backing up a trailer there is no point, but if you don't have experience or just never get the hang of backing up a trailer then it *may* be useful.

Problem I see with this tech is that it does nothing to help a user learn how to backup. There is a disconnect, in that you are not touching the steering wheel, nor are you using your mirrors, you're twisting a knob and watching your screen.

Personally I think an afternoon spent in a parking lot actually learning how to backup a trailer would be time better spent than "learning" this new tech.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Have Ford's version on my 2016 F-150, tried it once just to see how it operated, but haven't used it since. If you are experienced in backing up a trailer there is no point, but if you don't have experience or just never get the hang of backing up a trailer then it *may* be useful.

Problem I see with this tech is that it does nothing to help a user learn how to backup. There is a disconnect, in that you are not touching the steering wheel, nor are you using your mirrors, you're twisting a knob and watching your screen.

Personally I think an afternoon spent in a parking lot actually learning how to backup a trailer would be time better spent than "learning" this new tech.

For many backing a trailer has become second nature, I agree. I expect this technology will spread so it looks like it may become a lost art.

I don't agree that mirrors would not be used heavily, just as they are now. I seldom use the screen now when backing and don't understand why I would use it backing using a TRSC. The vehicle back up screen on my truck typically gives a great pic of the front of my trailer and little else.

Personally, I like the idea. New technology to assist with driving or anything else is often viewed negatively at the start. Seems to just be in our nature I guess.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Handy little doo-dad. Had two pickups with it now. It's not as versatile as they make it out to be. It won't cut the trailer as sharply as you might need, and it doesn't always see the trailer. In the video they briefly mention that the system can lose the trailer in low light. That happens quite a bit. Backing up my driveway during the day, when the trailer gets into the shade of the trees in my front yard the system would give up and stop working. What I liked about it the most is that I could let go of everything and it would back the trailer in a straight line. Even making little adjustments in steering to keep the trailer straight. I can do that too, but it's really convenient to have the truck do it for me. Point the trailer where you want it and it will steer the truck and keep the trailer moving backward in a straight line, even if the truck and trailer aren't aligned. Handy.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

^^
What he said.

People are headed towards being too dependent on technology and having no skill sets. What happens when the computer breaks?
2022 F-250 XLT CCSB 6.2, 4:30
2014 Arctic Fox 22g
Crabby97439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #7

My son just took delivery of his new 2022 Ram Off Road Edition truck which has the back up assist. He hasn't tried it yet but I'm hoping we can get a few tries at it this coming weekend. We have plenty of space so if something goes awry we can recover with no damage.
I'll give an honest assessment after the trial run.
I've backed up farm equipment since I was 12 years old, driven trucks over the road and have had numerous trailers. I take pride in my ability to point a trailer in the direction I want it to go. It'll be interesting to see a knob do the job for me. (Please leave that last line alone)
Old 11-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Handy little doo-dad. Had two pickups with it now. It's not as versatile as they make it out to be. It won't cut the trailer as sharply as you might need, and it doesn't always see the trailer. In the video they briefly mention that the system can lose the trailer in low light. That happens quite a bit. Backing up my driveway during the day, when the trailer gets into the shade of the trees in my front yard the system would give up and stop working. What I liked about it the most is that I could let go of everything and it would back the trailer in a straight line. Even making little adjustments in steering to keep the trailer straight. I can do that too, but it's really convenient to have the truck do it for me. Point the trailer where you want it and it will steer the truck and keep the trailer moving backward in a straight line, even if the truck and trailer aren't aligned. Handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby97439 View Post
People are headed towards being too dependent on technology and having no skill sets. What happens when the computer breaks?
Or as posted above, doesn't work in low light. How many times do you pull into your campground after dark? If all you've ever done is use the assist and it doesn't work in the dark, you better hope you get a pull through site because if you don't know how to back up your trailer, you're never going to do it in the dark.

All my wife has to do in the dark, is hold a flashlight pointed at a 45 degree angle to the ground giving me a target for the left hand corner of my trailer, and check for low hanging branches first, that's it.

I believe the Ford system might work a little better in low light / dark, although I've never tested it. Ford's involves placing a sticker on your trailer tongue that your camera looks for. It would show up pretty well with the camera light. And all this is dependant on the camera having a clear view, drive through rain, slush, snow and my camera is blind so you'd have to clean your camera and the sticker on the trailer tongue before ever hoping to use the assist.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
It takes more than an afternoon to learn to back a trailer. I’ve been doing it since I was 12. (My first job was launching boats ad a lot of “adults” were embarrassed as heck when a 12 year old kid got in and put their boat in the water.

In the last 53 years I have backed trailers, farm equipment, semis double and single many times for a living.

I still make mistakes. My experience has been those that poo poo technology think they can do it better, but can’t and therefore have stopped learning.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #10

We never know it all and there's always something new to learn.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
It takes more than an afternoon to learn to back a trailer. Iíve been doing it since I was 12. (My first job was launching boats ad a lot of ďadultsĒ were embarrassed as heck when a 12 year old kid got in and put their boat in the water.

In the last 53 years I have backed trailers, farm equipment, semis double and single many times for a living.

I still make mistakes. My experience has been those that poo poo technology think they can do it better, but canít and therefore have stopped learning.
A good teacher should be able to train even a poor driver how to backup a trailer fairly decently in 1/2 an hour. The Ram system is probably very similar to Fordís Pro trailer backup assist which works very well and is even easier to learn than backing up manually Ö. but has a very slow top speed. You definitely need patients to use it if you ever have a long distance to back up.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
A good teacher should be able to train even a poor driver how to backup a trailer fairly decently in 1/2 an hour. The Ram system is probably very similar to Fordís Pro trailer backup assist which works very well and is even easier to learn than backing up manually Ö. but has a very slow top speed. You definitely need patients to use it if you ever have a long distance to back up.
Teaching them how is one thing but actually getting them to do it is another whole ballgame. Some people just never catch on.
I've watched people try to back a trailer into a campsite and it became painful just to watch.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Teaching them how is one thing but actually getting them to do it is another whole ballgame. Some people just never catch on.
I've watched people try to back a trailer into a campsite and it became painful just to watch.
I have friends who can and friends who cannot. And they are all pretty good and experienced drivers.
Either "you get it" or you don't.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #14

I can not imagine the software needed to make auto backing work. At one time I towed a small boat, mid sized travel trailer and a bigger 5th wheel. Each backed differently. But each was easy. I doubt i woukd use any auto backing feature.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, trailer