Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #29

[QUOTE=jacknife;5182393]. Inline 6’s have 25 percent fewer parts vs a V8

I get tickled every time I read this reply from the Cummins crowd. While they do have 25% fewer pistons, rods, valves, and their related components, this is just a fraction of the parts that make up a modern engine. I bet the percentage is much closer to 5 then 25. That being said, I’m in the camp that says you can’t buy a bad pickup these days.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #30

[QUOTE=Theunz;5182828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
. Inline 6’s have 25 percent fewer parts vs a V8

I get tickled every time I read this reply from the Cummins crowd. While they do have 25% fewer pistons, rods, valves, and their related components, this is just a fraction of the parts that make up a modern engine. I bet the percentage is much closer to 5 then 25. That being said, I’m in the camp that says you can’t buy a bad pickup these days.
That reply drives me wild myself. There arent 25% fewer oil fill and drain plugs, or coolant systems, or fans, fuel filters, air filters, yaknow, the wear items.

I honestly havent seen enough of the latest generation of trucks on the road to think anyone could have enough miles on one to make an educated statement on reliability of the new trucks. I dont even think if i had one for a work truck id have 50k miles on one, which really isnt enough to make a good statement about reliability.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:19 AM   #31

Jshopes81 - I agree 100%. These engines have been changing every 3 or 4 years as they are still trying to be cleaner burning engines. The things that brake are all the same. The exhaust system has the same parts. Agree, not enough data to know which engine is more reliable than the others.

OP - my last dually was a 2012 Ford and now I have SRW gasoline F-250. If I had to buy a new dually I would look at them all. I would even try to test drive a dually with the Ford gas 7.3.

If you look on YouTube TFL Truck I think they did a short 66 mile MGP loop with all the trucks. Youtuber Tow Piglet (who is an actual Hot Shot Trucker) did the 2020 F-350 dually towing freight a few hundred miles. Actually he did two mpg runs with different types of freight.

Other youtubers I watch are are Danger Industries who is a hot shot trucker in Novia Scotia so he has some mountains. He is using a 2017 F-350 but has ordered a 2020 F-350 King Ranch.

Then you have WorkPlayTV youtuber who uses Ford trucks to plow snow and run his excavating business. He is using a myriad of trucks from a F-550 to SRW F-250. He does his driving impression of a 2020 F-350 SRW truck that he bought.

If you search YouTube for 'Hot Shot Trucks' you will get a lot of hits. Watch some and see if there are any guys you like but lots and lots of information if you have the time.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #32

With a hundred thousand dollars cost for the complete list of options and a 100k warranty on the engine just get the Ford truck and drive and enjoy
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:22 AM   #33

Here is a good informational video from Tow Piglet changing a tire on a dually truck. I find this youtuber likable enough same as Danger Industries I think is likeable enough. I had a dually for 6.5 years and would have struggled with a flat tire. Lucky, I had no flats.

https://youtu.be/ouopiSgOjts
Old 03-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #34

It is 25 % fewer moving internal engine parts . I didn’t say a word about fluids etc etc . You can obfuscate the obvious all you like but lift up the hood of 99 % of semis out and you will find an in-line 6 ! Not stating it is any better in fail rate than a V8 or a better engine ,just that the design is simpler and uses less parts in manufacturing the ENGINE !!
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
It is 25 % fewer moving internal engine parts . I didn’t say a word about fluids etc etc . You can obfuscate the obvious all you like but lift up the hood of 99 % of semis out and you will find an in-line 6 ! Not stating it is any better in fail rate than a V8 or a better engine ,just that the design is simpler and uses less parts in manufacturing the ENGINE !!
In the small diesels if you have an internal failure most of the time youre doing a long block and wont even be touching any of the 25% less parts.

I dont know if i uploaded it right but i see more of these than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200313-111925_Chrome.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	277903  
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:07 AM   #36
GBB

I too am Planning on uprading this year. Last two trucks were Ram diesels. Never had any problems. After watching youtube videos on all three I am liking the Ford ten speed tranny. How new is this tranny..wondering how it will hold up in long run.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Jshopes81 - I agree 100%. These engines have been changing every 3 or 4 years as they are still trying to be cleaner burning engines. The things that brake are all the same. The exhaust system has the same parts. Agree, not enough data to know which engine is more reliable than the others.

OP - my last dually was a 2012 Ford and now I have SRW gasoline F-250. If I had to buy a new dually I would look at them all. I would even try to test drive a dually with the Ford gas 7.3.

If you look on YouTube TFL Truck I think they did a short 66 mile MGP loop with all the trucks. Youtuber Tow Piglet (who is an actual Hot Shot Trucker) did the 2020 F-350 dually towing freight a few hundred miles. Actually he did two mpg runs with different types of freight.

Other youtubers I watch are are Danger Industries who is a hot shot trucker in Novia Scotia so he has some mountains. He is using a 2017 F-350 but has ordered a 2020 F-350 King Ranch.

Then you have WorkPlayTV youtuber who uses Ford trucks to plow snow and run his excavating business. He is using a myriad of trucks from a F-550 to SRW F-250. He does his driving impression of a 2020 F-350 SRW truck that he bought.

If you search YouTube for 'Hot Shot Trucks' you will get a lot of hits. Watch some and see if there are any guys you like but lots and lots of information if you have the time.

Thanks for the recommendations for YouTube. I started this research early so I could make time to try to make the best educated decision possible.

I will test drive one, but I’m almost certain I’m going to go with diesel. Worth driving a gas one to find out.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
I too am Planning on uprading this year. Last two trucks were Ram diesels. Never had any problems. After watching youtube videos on all three I am liking the Ford ten speed tranny. How new is this tranny..wondering how it will hold up in long run.

I think the GM and Ford transmissions are a big selling point for them. Reviews that I’ve read and watched don’t show a true winner between the two.

The Aisin 6 speed appears to be proven, but had significant changes this year. I’ve read both good and bad IRT the Aisin.

I do agree with most that you really can’t go wrong with any of them. I will go into it with biases, but plan to drive all 3 of them for more than a typical around the block test drive. Drivability will be a large factor for me, as it will be my daily driver.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post

I will test drive one, but I’m almost certain I’m going to go with diesel. Worth driving a gas one to find out.
A back-to-back test drive will move you out of the "almost" camp I am betting.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
How new is this tranny..wondering how it will hold up in long run.
At least on the GM, friends I trust were telling me with the power these new engines were putting out, the tried and true bullet proof Alison was becoming viewed as a weak link in the chain. The new trannies are necessary to keep up with the engine output. I suspect the Fords were in the same boat. I can tell you, the 10-speed in the GM is fantastic, even if I there is insufficient data to know about longevity. (But mine also came with a lifetime powertrain warranty).
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #41

GBB - I am a Ford guy and will tell you that the 2020 GM trucks drive better than my very good smooth driving 2017 F-250.

One way I would describe the 2020 GM and even the 2020 Ford is these trucks now drive almost as nice as the 150/1500 trucks. Noise, Hashness and Vibration was reduced in these trucks. Makes me wonder how in the heck they will possibly make these trucks better in the future. They are darn near perfect in 2020.

OP - I will be interested in hearing what your driving impressions are after you do a few test drives. I test drove a 2020 SRW F-250 diesel 20 miles with 15 highway miles and was wowed. The 10 speed was smooth and the truck was powerful.

I test drove a 2020 GM 2500 6.6 litre gas truck and was also wowed. This truck had the old 6 speed transmission but drove better than my 2017 F-250 gas truck.

I came from a 2012 F-450 that I describe as being refined for 2012 trucks but it was not even close in refinement to the 2020 trucks. My 2017 I thought was refined until I drove the 2020 trucks. Refined means, smooth, quiet, good ride and powerful.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Thanks for the recommendations for YouTube. I started this research early so I could make time to try to make the best educated decision possible.

Currently only towing a 5800lb TT behind my F-150 Ecoboost which I am completely happy with and the ONLY way I would be talked into a diesel would be if I would be towing heavier. The ONLY reason for ME to choose a diesel would be for the exhaust brake. We live out west, on the dry side of the mountains and our trips are constantly traipsing back and forth over mountain passes. Uphills with a gas motor are fine and I'm sure the new Ford 7.3 would have more than enough power to pull our mountain passes. The problem starts as you crest the summit and start heading down. I personally try to never touch my brakes going down long grades and just use my transmission to hold my speed to a safe limit. Our current setup mentioned above works great in tow/haul mode and I have no problem maintaining a safe descent speed without needing any brake applications.

Now our 39' Class A motorhome on a Ford F53 chassis with the V10 was another story. It had plenty of power for climbing and I could maintain speed limit going up any of our passes but going down anything more than a 6% grade would have me either in 2nd gear but typically in 1st with 4 way flashers going while we crawled down the grade at 25mph, and the motor screaming away at 4-5000rpm. At those times I was really wishing I had a diesel with an exhaust brake. That RV was 26,000lbs and towing our Ford Edge.

While I have no doubt the new 7.3 will be a way better motor than the outgoing V10 there's no way I'd want to drive it down any of our mountain passes.

If we lived in Florida we'd still have that RV as it was great to have the bikes in the garage and a car once we setup but living out west, no way.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford