Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Ramtruck.com

So I'm looking at TVs and the Ford site is really easy to use. Just pick the truck and then the options you want. It starts with pretty much all the F series trucks. Then there's a slide bar for towing capacity and as you slide it over trucks fall off the list. At about 19K only duallys are left.

I decided to look at Rams too but no matter what I do I end up looking at options for a SRW 1500 with about 11K towing. Even if I start at the page for the 3500 dually and click on "Build it" or whatever. And if I click on the "Search Inventory" I still only get SRW trucks. Anyone know the secret to this?
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah their website is painful....

Lets just start with what you want to tow.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Yeah their website is painful....

Lets just start with what you want to tow.
That is a good question. I'm starting to research this now. My wife will finish college (late start) in about 2 years at which time we'll back to the US for at least 3-5 years. The current plan (dream) is a full timing in 5r as I really don't want any roots or state residence unless the state is Alaska and I think you have to live there a year to get that. So all I really know is that I want a 4 seasons 5r mainly for us 2 but with a fold out couch for guests if my daughter comes to visit. I don't plan to be north for any snow really but there are parts of the country where cold weather can swoop in and catch you off guard. I also figure if the trailer is better insulated for the cold, it should also do better in the heat.

So I know I'm going to need a good TV and thinking diesel dually. Either Ford of Dodge.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

On the ram site I just pick the truck and the options. I don't really see the issue?
If I want to build a 3500 it gives me a 3500.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

JMO but the GM site is the worst.
Never had issues with the Ford or Ram sites.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

A combo like this will serve you VERY well!

(admin, it's not for sale)

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

That's about what I'm looking for.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #8

not sure I understand,

If I understand the OP correctly, you're getting to the point where you click "Search Inventory" ??
I noticed this phenomenon when searching for a TV also. The sites are using your location for that inventory search. You might try expanding your search area if possible. You'd be surprised at the vast expanse of areas where the dealers never order DRW for their inventory. I remember expanding my search to about 500mi. I was in a large metro area with lot's of dealers who implied DRW was basically a custom order. A very large volume dealer several hundred miles away had numerous brands & models to choose from or coming into inventory.
Those sites also make it difficult to determine the actual installed equipment. So you want to use the view "window sticker" (linked to Manufacturer by VIN) option and look at installed options, [example] GVWR-13500 DRW $1200. Otherwise it was listed as GVWR-11200 std. for SRW. also larger dia. rims
Good luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 AM   #9

If I go to ramtrucks.com and select a 3500, then Build and Price.

Then I pick say, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew 8' box. Then at the bottom it says Towing 10,980 lbs. ???

Then I go through and pick the air ride, 5er prep, DRW, luxury group. And there's no more mention of towing capability.

Then if I view inventory (200+ miles) and sort by best match I get 300 pages with none better than a Low match and none of the icons showing a dually. I see from some of the Window stickers some are dually but what PITA to click through a list like that.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

This is where you go to find your towing capacity.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf
You can also find the payload rating there too. But that will not be the true payload. Need to figure in any options to the truck for the final payload number.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #11

My thoughts are you are looking at this backwards, FIRST pick a trailer, determine it's loaded/wet weight.

Then, pick a truck that can safely tow it. With out knowing what weight you are towing, you have no way of knowing how much truck you need.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:10 AM   #12

Well, it seems all the 5ers I've been looking at are in the 16-18K range, loaded. And I've read a few TV discussions on here with comments like "no one ever complained about having too much tow capacity. I don't want to go too overboard but I also don't want to have 'just enough." No problem having a safety margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
This is where you go to find your towing capacity.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towi...ing_charts.pdf
You can also find the payload rating there too. But that will not be the true payload. Need to figure in any options to the truck for the final payload number.
Looks like for a rig like yours there's only a few on the list that will do.

So much easier with the Ford site. Just drag the bar to the amount of towing capacity you need and the non-players drop off the list.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
A combo like this will serve you VERY well!

(admin, it's not for sale)

Beautiful rig, Cummins!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
Well, it seems all the 5ers I've been looking at are in the 16-18K range, loaded. And I've read a few TV discussions on here with comments like "no one ever complained about having too much tow capacity. I don't want to go too overboard but I also don't want to have 'just enough." No problem having a safety margin. Looks like for a rig like yours there's only a few on the list that will do.

So much easier with the Ford site. Just drag the bar to the amount of towing capacity you need and the non-players drop off the list.
If you are in the 16-18K wet range you are in the DRW truck market. It is not only the total weight, it is the pin weight to also consider. My trailer total weight is around 14.5-14.9K depending on loading, but my pin weight is between 3200-3700lbs. (about 23%) I see a LOT of folks with SRW short bed trucks towing WAY over their limits. I hear, Yea, put air bags on it and it tows great.

Plus you might want to double tow, like I do at times, and a little extra truck is nice.