RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #155

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
Funny story. So I had a free 30 day check-up appt with the dealer, where they would fix anything for free that we noticed since the purchase and do a free n-point inspection. It was free, so I took it in.

I figured I'd try and get them to adjust the WDH for free, rather than me messing with it. Was hoping to have a pro do it, not totally sure of myself being new and all. Plus, I remember for a fact that when they first installed it they did it wrong bc they never hitched it to my truck until I pulled off, so how could they have known the adjustment was correct?

So I explained the situation (that all the tongue wt was going to the rear axle and it wasn't done correctly at first) to the guy. He looked at me crooked and went and got their house "expert." I explained to him, and he said "the WDH doesn't distribute wt to the front axle, that's impossible. It just distributes the wt here (pointing to the hitch and A-frame area)". I told him the manual says otherwise, and explained the process of measuring the wheel-well height before and after and adjusting the spacer washers and bar height. He said "I've been doing this for 3 years and never measured anything before, you're fine. In fact, it should be lowered." I knew it actually needed to be raised, based on my previous CAT scale slip and instructions in the manual. But I didn't want to sit there and argue, so let him do his thing and just did the adjustment on my own at home. Glad I invested in a 300ft/# torque wrench (which will come in handy putting the snow plow on my tractor every year as a bonus, and takes place of the multi lug nut tool in my truck bed.)

To think all the other newbies who got their install done there over the last 3 years has an incorrect WDH setup. Would've been me too had I not joined this forum! I can't express enough gratitude to everyone in this forum who's given me advice. I'm still a rookie, don't get me wrong, but already ahead of a 3-year pro "expert"!!!
This a a great story Eddy. Forums are a great way to expand our knowledge, all we have to do is be willing to learn whether it's what we want to hear or not. Well it's a great story right up until the 'expert' didn't know WTH he was talking about.

My 72 year old EX retirement buddy has remained willfully ignorant his entire life and why he's my EX retirement buddy. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
CIDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #156

Just thought I'd pop back in here and report that the Ram is working out really nice. Got about 3000 mi on the trailer already. Made it to SD and back and it was an absolute pleasure. Random last minute vacation of our dreams. The new lifestyle is a game changer for our family, and it's hard to imagine life without the RV. Things could've started out smoother with my towing situation, but wouldn't change anything if it would've meant ultimately not getting an RV. The Bullet is heading for winter storage soon, but already booking sites and looking forward to next year. Thanks again everyone who helped me on this thread!
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:02 AM   #157

Great to hear a happy success story.

Having an RV, I agree can be life changing and surprising how comfortable a travel trailer can be. Much better than staying in a hotel for example.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #158

Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow up report. I bought my RV in 2017 and agree, it's a life changer.
CIDE is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags