Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #15

On my trailers I started off light. But I got tired of eating with plastic forks off a paper plates.

Soon had real heavier plates, silverware and pots and pans. I even carried a shovel bug killer I would spray around the campsite.

When I towed with the Ridgeline I towed light. My trailer had 3,000lbs of cargo capacity. I bet I added 2,000lbs of stuff. I carried drinking water in gallon jugs. And then started to take two bicycles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #16

I was going to write a long email, but saw jrollf said everything I was going to say.

You will get lots of other opinions, it's the nature of a forum based discussion.

So I will add my opinion:

I tow with a Toyota Tacoma, so I understand small TV towing. There is no way I would entertain the thought of towing a 29' TT with a Ford Ranger.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #17

I think you overdid the trailer, a common mistake. Did the same. But before you admit failure, go camping. Keep it light and local. See if this really is something you two want to include in your future. Maybe you will end up leaving the trailer at a campground for the season and then all is good. You might want to invest in a scangage, plugs into the OBD port on the truck and can provide transmission temps. Very important.

So bottom line yes that is too much trailer for a ranger. You may end up with a smaller trailer or bigger truck. But don't start selling and throwing money at the situation yet.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #18
laj

the only other thing i was thinking is you said you just bought the pickup. If you are going to trade it probably the sooner the better, might loose the least amount. trading this soon is always painful. hope you get it all figured out and start having fun.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #19

you can probably make it work if you tow conservatively and dont get frustrated knowing in advance that the truck will be stretched a little thin. go slower dont try to go too far in a day. at 29' that trailer will wag the truck a little and cross winds will be aggravating. I tow a 28' 6000# trailer with my ram 1500 4x4 ccsb and it tows fine but is quite a load for the larger than yours truck. get a good WDH and pack wise. as jrollf said you will be surprised how fast the total wt. will rise when you add your gear and food. my trailer is 4700# empty and 5600#+ when towing..usually closer to 6000#, so at least 900# of gear and groceries etc. and we pack pretty carefully.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #20

This thread could get long real fast. I expect you may be skipping additional posts by now, but here is my take:

You have the truck. You have the TT. No more planning is needed. The question is how can you use it? Is it safe?

Some posts recommend you load the TT and Truck. Yes, include all passengers and luggage. That is your starting point. Get axle weights and total weights. I use a local commercial CAT scale. You will not be welcome at most state highway weigh stations. You may need to weight twice, once with TT hooked up and once without TT to get tongue weight.

Next look at the stickers in the truck driver's door frame to get all the axle, tire, and combined weight maximums. If you are not exceeding any maximums you are ready to go.

Your driving experience will vary depending on the weather and the terrain. Slow down for safety. Forget that surrounding traffic is whizzing by. On one lane roads, periodically pull off and let your train pass.

I tow at 60 to 65 mph. My TT is not as close to limits as I guess yours will be. I am retired and not in a great hurry to get there and back by Monday morning. Gas mileage is awful. With a 20 mph tail wind I can get the same gas mileage when driving at 75. Cross winds and head winds are more common and have the opposite effect. Snow, ice, and even rain will have an effect. Slow down in all cases.

Safety wise, slow down! Reduced speed solves many issues. Speed and a heavily loaded tow vehicle kills! If towing seems uneventful and boring, that is the way you want it. If you want to "get there fast and then take it slow" leave the TT behind.

Don't surrender to the urge to get there faster. The truly heart pounding emergency maneuvers come at rare and unexpected times. You need reserve distance for stopping and swerving safely. You may not get a second chance.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #21

There's two factors involved in towing. Tow rating and the tow vehicles payload.
Whats the door sticker say you have for payload?
Also your Ranger has a max receiver rating of 750 lbs.
Dry (Useless) brochure tongue weight is 580. Now add 45 lbs for a battery, 40 lbs for propane, 100 lbs for the WDH and you're at 765 lbs.
What are you putting in the front storage compartments, under the bed and elsewhere in front of the trailers axles?
Even a modest 100 lbs of stuff would put the TW at 865 lbs.
Now add up what you put in the truck like passengers, bikes, firewood, BBQ, etc.
My guess is you're over the trucks payload capacity and well over the trucks receiver rating.
Time to look at an F150.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #22

You cant have "too much truck". The issue isnt can your truck pull your trailer...yes it can! The issue is stopping and control...esp. if you are in an a dangerous situation or worse yet in an accident. If the other "victims" can prove you are overweight for your TV...you are responsible.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
To epeddy. Please don't feel embarrassed over the replies. We have all made mistakes in the RV world and this is what this forum is all about. Helping others.

We enjoy our lifestyle and want to see others enjoy it as well. All our posts are meant as advice, not criticism.

Better to be embarrassed rather than in an accident.

Lord knows I've made some dumb mistakes.

We are in the process of a major change of rv. From a fifth to a coach and I am reading every post I can to gain information. Frankly I am amazed at the assistance that I have received.

Hope you get it all sorted out and enjoy many years of raving.
X2! We just want EVERYONE to be safe and enjoy traveling. I had to bite the bullet and trade my 1500 ram that I had for 3 months because after buying the trailer we wanted I quickly realized we didnt have near enough payload, plenty of towing power but very little payload. Went to a 3/4 and couldn't be happier, no white knuckles here [emoji111]
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #24

Thanks for all the advice. Another "tow expert" friend says if I get a load leveling hitch I would be all good. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate the honesty and not being too harsh. As you can expect, I'm sweating bullets and scrambling about what to do.

For what its worth, I'm already talking to the dealer about a F150 trade in, to see what the damage would be. [emoji853]
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You absolutely need a Weight distributing hitch and sway control. It doesn't change your capacity but it makes it safer. You have the setup now. Drive it and see what you think. You will know if you have to make changes all we can do is guess based on our past set-ups. I wouldn't plan on my first trip being a cross country trip or through the mountains. but local long weekends will be no problem while you are learning.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #26

So, I take it the towing from the dealer to your house did not go so well. I did not get that from your initial post. But you made it!!! Whew!!!

I did look up the Ranger wheelbase. It does not look so good for the Ranger. The wheelbase is shorter than my old Honda Ridgeline and I know how that went...not good at all.

If looking at a F-150 know they are not all equal. You want the one with the highest 'Occupant and Cargo weight should never exceed xxxx Kilos or xxxx' lbs ' numbers.

Here is a good video to watch.

https://youtu.be/mvWsPaWBmo0
Old 07-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #27

While you are at it, check out the F-250. I'm not a Ford man but I am a 3/4 ton fan.

Maybe the dealer has one with a hitch that you could take your trailer for a test drive.

Very glad you are rethinking this. Very best of luck.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #28

Xmcdog has a good point. There really is very little price difference between F-150 to F-250. F-250 is a lot more truck. I drive a F-250 not by some kind of luck. I drive a F-250 because I know I will be towing stuff.
Plus I have towed enough to realize I do not want a bad towing experience.

Get this - I am driving the smallest truck I can imho.

Tags