RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #113

We had...I say had a Thor RV for 4 months. It was not a good fit for us. Through this forum, we figured out how to match TV to TT. All that said, it was our experience that trading "up" is much better (less loss) than trading down. Trading an RV for a TT, we lost 15K. IMHO trading "up" with your TV will come out much better than trading "down" with your TT. "tuff" referenced a great video on Payload for TV's. Get your pencil and paper ready. Do the math with what you have, go from there.
D00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #114

Hey ep*, I just had an afterthought. IMHO, I wouldn't change a thing. Do the weight thing with the weight distribution hitch (WDH). Try it out. You said you had very low miles on your Ranger........you will probably get the same trade in value between 0 - 5K (do not know that for sure). You will know after checking it out IFF you need a change. Trade if you have to (IMHO).

BTW, The F250 was better priced and better payload than the F150. The F150 looked like it had similar numbers that your Ranger did..........let us know how it turns out.
D00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The 2.7 F-150 I believe is the lite version of the F-150's built so Ford would not have to build the Ranger. They came out with the lighter frame, lower GVWR trying to convince people that their was no need for the Ranger in 2015. The 2.7 is a good 'grocery gitter'.

I agree with them as their 2.7 F-150 got better mpg than the mid sized Colorado and Canyon plus better than the Toyota Tacoma.

But low and behold people still wanted the Ranger.

No to the 2.7 and yes to the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco-Boost 2018 or newer.
Sorry to bug you again, but you've been very helpful. If I was looking at Ram, is there anything specific I should focus on or avoid in their line? Other than higher-the-better payload? Its been a pain getting that yellow sticker info from the dealers without visiting their lots.
epeddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by D00d View Post
Hey ep*, I just had an afterthought. IMHO, I wouldn't change a thing. Do the weight thing with the weight distribution hitch (WDH). Try it out. You said you had very low miles on your Ranger........you will probably get the same trade in value between 0 - 5K (do not know that for sure). You will know after checking it out IFF you need a change. Trade if you have to (IMHO).

BTW, The F250 was better priced and better payload than the F150. The F150 looked like it had similar numbers that your Ranger did..........let us know how it turns out.
Will do. I just recently expanded my truck search to a 100 mile radius, and boy oh boy are there options. I guess it was just the 30-mule radius that was dried up on used trucks.

One thing that's barely been touched on was the interior of the Ranger. I bought it before the travel trailer thought was even born. Was never meant to be a family trip vehicle - we have my wife's Pilot for that. But after one trip my wife wasn't too happy with the Ranger interior. Cup holders, place for her purse, room for our small dogs, etc. So she's even more on board than all you fine people on a truck upgrade at this point. But then there's that pesky thing which she doesn't fully understand - the finances...
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #117

I'm in your boat, or was until yesterday.
Bought a new Tacoma, less then a year ago, and tricked it up,,,,,then a 30 foot 5th wheel, thinking, thanks to salesmen, gotta eat the tacoma but one of the million half tons for sale now will do it.

Here are the avg payloads for Ford and ram.
F150 or Ram 1500
Modest trim, cloth 2000 payload
Leather nav. 1700
F250 Ram 2500
F350 Ram 3500
We got the 3500, the 250 would've squeaked by, maybe.
I have a not long as you thread and all the good advice seems to be. Get more then you need, if you can swing it. Don't try it with the Ranger. Just look at your family and think,,,, not going where you should go could put you where you don't want to go.
ThePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
I did notice that. My first thought was that I could maybe use an air suspension. The tow expert family member brought up the air suspension at the beginning predicting that I'd need that. I don't think the WDH has anything that is adjustable. It's supposed to be automatic. Given I already have the WDH, would it make more sense to spend the money on bags?
Timing is everything - this just popped up on Youtube suggested viewings. It's an excellent explanation of the differences between airbags and weight distributing hitches, including the actual weight transfer involved.

I hope I can post a Youtube video here (won't embed)
https://youtu.be/XBZu39pQ8Gg
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #119

Looking at a Ram 1500. 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine. Payload 1776# (so +350# vs Ranger). Quad cab. It's at a great price point where I could immediately upgrade. It really is nice on the interior. Only thing that's missing that I usually consider a must is leather, but I'm willing to sacrifice that now. Should I be talked out of it?

I hear all the advice about going to 3/4 ton, but I just really don't want a big truck for my every day. I'd almost rather give up the camper and go back to tents. Maybe that will change after driving a 1500 for a while, and if it does, so be it I guess. If I need to trade in after a couple years (after I get used to driving around a huge vehicle, if we upgrade camper, after I save up some more money and pay down the loan, etc) it's not the end of the world. Might even consider a motorhome if we really do embrace the RV lifestyle. It's the whole trading in after 2 months that's my problem now.

My wife is in love with the 1st row cargo space and really wants that for our camping trips. So that's a bonus on top of the payload, longer wheel base, etc.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #120

If you get leather probably have to sacrifice 250-300 pounds pay load. Just go 3/4 little bit more. Like all the smart people say you won’t be sorry if you go to big you will be sorry if you don’t probably. I’ve been in this game 2 1/2 weeks so I really know what I’m talking about sarcasm wink.
ThePlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #121

That is as good as it gets. I too like the interior of the Ram. The ride without the trailer should be good enough. I say try to make your best deal.

Oh, I did hear that used vehicles are in short supply so you should get a bit more for your trade
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #122

Quote:
Looking at a Ram 1500. 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine. Payload 1776# (so +350# vs Ranger). Quad cab. It's at a great price point where I could immediately upgrade. It really is nice on the interior. Only thing that's missing that I usually consider a must is leather, but I'm willing to sacrifice that now. Should I be talked out of it?

I hear all the advice about going to 3/4 ton, but I just really don't want a big truck for my every day. I'd almost rather give up the camper and go back to tents. Maybe that will change after driving a 1500 for a while, and if it does, so be it I guess. If I need to trade in after a couple years (after I get used to driving around a huge vehicle, if we upgrade camper, after I save up some more money and pay down the loan, etc) it's not the end of the world. Might even consider a motorhome if we really do embrace the RV lifestyle. It's the whole trading in after 2 months that's my problem now.

My wife is in love with the 1st row cargo space and really wants that for our camping trips. So that's a bonus on top of the payload, longer wheel base, etc.

epeddy1. If you look at my signature, you will see what I am using as a TV and what I am towing. I have absolutely no problem with sway, bounce, semi's. etc. If you want more info, give me a shout.
adlereins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
epeddy1. If you look at my signature, you will see what I am using as a TV and what I am towing. I have absolutely no problem with sway, bounce, semi's. etc. If you want more info, give me a shout.
Nice! That makes me feel better. I think im going to pull the trigger on the Ram. Its got me and the wife excited enough to tamper down the pain of taking a big hit in the Ranger.

But I was thinking about it - the hit we're taking on the Ranger doesn't really go away the longer we own it. You take that hit the second you drive it off the lot, whether you trade it in 1 year or 5 years or 1 month down the road. You can say you get your moneys worth the longer you hold it, but in terms of raw numbers you're paying a markup for new the second you sign the papers - not when you trade it.

I had a good talk with the salesman while we were waiting where he made a great point (I know, salesman, ugh, but some are better than others). I said "I never really wanted a truck this big, and still don't really want it." (My amateur strategy is to always sound like I don't want it up until I'm signing the docs - the illusion of retaining leverage.) He said "I have 4 kids, and drive a minivan. You think I 'want' to be driving that (pointing to it)? Nope. I 'need' to drive a minivan. My situation changed when I got kids. Your situation changed since the time you got the Ranger - getting a camper, you 'need' a bigger truck."
Old 08-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #124

I already had a Honda Ridge a few years towing a small outboard powered runabout boat that weighed 2,800lbs. A few years later I bought a travel trailer that weighed dry 4,400lbs. I towed the trailer from the dealer on all back roads over some 2,600' mountains relatively easily. Lucky for me I used this trailer at local state parks for 3 years. The Ridgeline did pretty good at towing this loaded 5,000lb trailer on back roads.

So I got my $$$ out of the Ridgeline when I had to buy a bigger truck to travel more.

Your problem is you want to travel on the interstate for 10 hours within months of getting the new trailer instead of just camping local for several years. The Ranger could have done that with no problem. But no, you want to make a trip a few states away....thus you do need a bigger truck.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #125

Quote:
Nice! That makes me feel better. I think im going to pull the trigger on the Ram. Its got me and the wife excited enough to tamper down the pain of taking a big hit in the Ranger.

But I was thinking about it - the hit we're taking on the Ranger doesn't really go away the longer we own it. You take that hit the second you drive it off the lot, whether you trade it in 1 year or 5 years or 1 month down the road. You can say you get your moneys worth the longer you hold it, but in terms of raw numbers you're paying a markup for new the second you sign the papers - not when you trade it.

I had a good talk with the salesman while we were waiting where he made a great point (I know, salesman, ugh, but some are better than others). I said "I never really wanted a truck this big, and still don't really want it." (My amateur strategy is to always sound like I don't want it up until I'm signing the docs - the illusion of retaining leverage.) He said "I have 4 kids, and drive a minivan. You think I 'want' to be driving that (pointing to it)? Nope. I 'need' to drive a minivan. My situation changed when I got kids. Your situation changed since the time you got the Ranger - getting a camper, you 'need' a bigger truck."
I had 5 kids and never drove a minivan, thats what big suvs are for haha
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:38 AM   #126

Quote:
I hear all the advice about going to 3/4 ton, but I just really don't want a big truck for my every day. I'd almost rather give up the camper and go back to tents. Maybe that will change after driving a 1500 for a while, and if it does, so be it I guess.
I have not looked back on what your towing needs are, so don't take this as me trying to talk you out of the 1/2 ton, but just know that two weeks after you buy whatever you buy, you'll get used to whatever size it is. Then you'll get back in a little car for whatever reason at some point and freak out a bit about how small and dainty it feels. When I went from a little sedan for my daily to a half ton, then to a 3/4 ton, then to a DRW, they all took about two weeks to get used to, then the size just felt normal. When I jumped back in my sister's Tundra the other day, it felt like a little tin can to me.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags