Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #99

The 2.7 F-150 I believe is the lite version of the F-150's built so Ford would not have to build the Ranger. They came out with the lighter frame, lower GVWR trying to convince people that their was no need for the Ranger in 2015. The 2.7 is a good 'grocery gitter'.

I agree with them as their 2.7 F-150 got better mpg than the mid sized Colorado and Canyon plus better than the Toyota Tacoma.

But low and behold people still wanted the Ranger.

No to the 2.7 and yes to the 5.0 and 3.5 Eco-Boost 2018 or newer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Camper View Post
Be advised, trailer tires are rated for 65 MPH max.
My OEM TT tires are rated for 75 mph.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
Door sticker on the Ranger says 1428. I found an F150 in my area with payload 1730 (based on VIN lookup, would need to verify). Is that 300 lbs going to be worth it? Not really finding any low mileage F250 in my price range at the moment. I do kind of want to stick with Ford.
Based on the 1428 payload for your truck and your trip report, I'd say you are good to go. Take it easy and you will be fine.

If you start looking at a bigger truck, skip the 250 and look for a 350. Down the road, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck!!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
My OEM TT tires are rated for 75 mph.
That's rare. Most are 65 MPH. What brand?
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Camper View Post
That's rare. Most are 65 MPH. What brand?
It is not that uncommon for a TT to use LT tires even as OEM. Mine are Goodyear, Wranglers if I am not mistaken.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #104

I am seeing 75mph on a lot of new trailers. I think it is the new normal speed rating on ST tires. Probably started by the Good Year Endurance tires.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #105

No towing with lite weights

Most seem to be concerned about towing. I am more concerned about stopping. A lite truck such as Fords Ranger series can not satisfactorily stop a 29 foot trailer at highway speeds. To attempt hauling with the described rig is risky, a accident waiting to happen.
rlbarkleyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus View Post
It is not that uncommon for a TT to use LT tires even as OEM. Mine are Goodyear, Wranglers if I am not mistaken.
That's good to hear. I see so many people at 75 or 80 and it scares me. I try to do 62 to 65, but often find myself doing 70.
Joe_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:57 AM   #107

OK, lets recap this. It seems that the MINIMUM truck should be a F150 with the tow package.
Question #1 Do you really want to go with the minimum ?
#2 70-80 mph while towing ? REALLY ? there is no way that can be called safe.
JMHO
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #108

Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbarkleyii View Post
Most seem to be concerned about towing. I am more concerned about stopping. A lite truck such as Fords Ranger series can not satisfactorily stop a 29 foot trailer at highway speeds. To attempt hauling with the described rig is risky, a accident waiting to happen.
I hear your opinion and I respect it. On the other hand, Ford engineers have significant expertise and have posted their analysis on the federally regulated weight stickers.

Who should I trust?
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
I really do appreciate sugar-coating-less feedback, so no worries at all about the honesty and perceived harshness. Thats why I posted here, to get some honest opinions.

Update: we completed our first camping trip this past weekend. It was about 1 hour away, all interstate driving. I took it easy in the right lane, about 65-70mph for the most part. On the way there I got behind an Ashley furniture semi and just followed him the whole way. It was honestly a very relaxing drive being able to concede to the slow traffic and not worrying about trying to maintain 80mph with constant lane changes and slow downs like I usually would. I didn't ever get that heart pounding feeling where I clenched the wheel.

The drive back was a little more nerve racking, but mainly bc it was Sunday morning. Anybody who's ever camped in WI on a weekend would know that southbound traffic is always a nightmare bc Chicago people invade our state on weekends, and especially during COVID summer. So its a mass exodus on Sunday. I never felt overwhelmed, but could definitely feel the limitations of my TV. There were a couple times when I finally felt that tug from a passing semi.

Unfornately I don't have the finances to just go out and upgrade my truck tomorrow. My plan is to make this Ranger work, taking it easy, allowing extra time, etc until I can manage the expense of a truck upgrade. We have about 5 or 6 weekend (so 1-2 hours max) trips yet this year, and then comes winter. Might just get some use out of this Ranger through the winter and just keep checking autotrader for the right 1/2 or 3/4 ton upgrade and jump on it for the 2021 camping season. I could potentially snag up a used truck if a great deal pops up, and sell my Ranger after, which gives me some flexibility of taking an opportunity when it presents itself rather than settling on what's available in the used market today.

The one caveat is that we have a flight trip planned in Oct, one week, that may need to be cancelled bc of COVID and travel quarantine rules. We've been tossing around the idea of a plan B trip with the camper to SD, which is about 13 hours from home (so 2 day trip I figure). Seems like a bad idea with the Ranger, and unpredictable SD weather in Oct regardless of my truck. But there's that too. So might even trade up before if we do end up going with plan B. The SD trip just sounds so amazing. I went as a kid and have fond memories. I'm going to get a few more trips under my belt and perhaps another weight check after we've had time to settle on what necessities need packed, before I decide whether to push it with the Ranger on such a long trip. My wife even suggested taking her Honda Pilot so the camper could be totally unloaded, bc she really wants to go and that might be easier/cheaper than upgrading the truck. But would be such a pain being split into 2 cars obviously.

One thing I never mentioned and seen brought up. I have an only child, age 7. And my wife is tiny, about 100#. So that limits my payload needs compared to the avg 2-3 child American family I suppose.
My experience has been a lot like yours. I owned a 2015 Tundra when I bought my last camper (32ft Keystone bumper pull.) I babied the Tundra, pulled it slow, close to home until i could upgrade my truck. I struggled with ½ ton vs ¾ and finally decided to save my egg money until i could find a ¾. Found a F250 Diesel in my price range this spring. I am glad I waited. Don't settle for the minimun when it comes to your tow vehicle. Get more truck than you need. Your comfort level will more than compensate for the increased price..
BroKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #110

You will not like a F-250 as a daily driver as much as a F-150. But you will like the F-250 much more when towing. Look at me, I towed a lot in my life so far, I have a F-250 6.2 Boss engine. A F-150 can tow my trailer but why not buy a F-250 to be more comfortable. The F-250 cost close to the same as the F-150 so I bought a lot more truck for close to the same $$$.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #111

If I was in your position, having to replace the Ranger (which is my daily driver), I'd be all over an F-250 simply for the bigger brakes, driveline and heavier overall chassis components. The F-150 just isn't 'enough' better than the Ranger IMO. If your wife complains about the F-250's ride, remind her it's for towing the trailer she wanted, not simply to fetch groceries.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #112

Actually the ride in a 2017 or newer F-250 is not bad at all. It is not as good as the 2020 F-250's but it is not bad either.

If buying a F-250 I would shoot for a 2017 or newer for the improved frame and improved driving dynamics.

Now to the F-150. I had 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 coyote engine towing a non areodynamic 5,500 travel trailer with just a drawtite WD hitch. I will tell you that was a very comfortable truck/trailer combination. The trailer was a Gulfstream Streamlite 22SLB so it was only 26' long. So comfortable I let the wife drive for a few hours.

The redesigned 2015 F-150 should tow his trailer much better than the Ranger.

Especially with the 3.5 Eco-Boost. To me, the F150 is considerably better than the Ranger as a tow vehicle. Especially if you can find one with 1,800lbs of payload. An XLT with the XLT Ultimate package and tow package would make a nice F-150 truck.

Tags