Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #15

Used to have a Honda Ridgeline. 5000lb tow capacity. One of the great things about a Honda is the maintenance. Everything and I mean everything is user friendly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Used to have a Honda Ridgeline. 5000lb tow capacity. One of the great things about a Honda is the maintenance. Everything and I mean everything is user friendly.
Except for timing belts.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 AM   #17

I ended up going with a 2006 Tacoma, gives me comfortable seating for 5, tow capacity I want and the ability to get off road in the event I need to. I think it will be a good fit for what I want and I'm thankful for the thoughts from you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
OP, you certainly have a unique view of things. Nothing wrong with that. I agree with others that state that $5000 is a strong limiting factor. With all that can go wrong when towing, having something that just gets by is unsettling to many including me.
Your comment about finding a $1000 car that is reliable is all in how you look at it. A $1000 car that runs good maybe a good choice for running to the the grocery store in town. But that same $1000 car would be hard pressed to be reliable on a 5000 mile trip. Same rule applies for $5000 truck. Sure it may run ok. It may tow reasonably. But the chances of something major going wrong at the least opportune time are higher in older, high mile vehicles.

When I am on vacation, I don't want to worry about whether or not my vehicles are up to the task. Instead I want to relax and enjoy the road. Best of luck to you
We have just had different experiences it sounds like. My trip this past year was in a $7,000 Fleetwood (1996) with 50k on it. I only did 6,000 miles but it performed very well and gave me zero issues.

The year before that I did my 6,000 mile trip in a Chevy step van. I did spin a bearing which was my fault for not greasing them. In the field I ground off the threads on the spindle and retapped it, tossed things back together and headed home trouble free other than a tread on the back coming off causing me to air down and keep it to 55mph the last 100 miles.

I guess firstly I don't equate miles or cost (more cost) with how well something will serve me. I will however admit that I tend to find great deals on things firstly and that I have no issues retapping a spindle on the side of the road (my other choices was to weld on the axle nut) so I'm not one to downed potential issues with money. I'm a single parent on a fixed income and I'm doing these trips with my kids come hell or high water. There's no way they're going to miss out because of my fears or paranoia you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
Curious why you list Tundra and Tacoma, but not Ford, Chevy, or Ram 1/2 ton pickups?
Yeah, I guess I just wasn't thinking it over, trucks have a really good resale in my neck of the woods so I just don't see the deals on them I would want to take what I would feel was a step down from a Toyota.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #18

Congrats on the new truck. Hope you and the kids enjoy the heck out of your trips.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 AM   #19

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #20

I'm going to give you my standard answer.
These types of questions seem to be evolving into battles back and forth between the OP and the members.
This isn't necessary. Here's what you need to do, determine if the pickup is capable of towing what you have. If it is then either fix it up or sell it. If you want another tow vehicle then go to the various dealers and get the ratings for the vehicle you are considering. Don't rely on someone here to do the research for you. There are plenty of people that will tell you that a 1/2 ton truck will tow over 10 thousand pounds. No they won't. Not safely or long term. Don't buy anything that has a tow rating that matches the weight of your trailer. There is no short cut in the process and it will take effort on your part.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow