Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 01:56 AM   #1

Realistic MPG?

I am looking for a realistic mpg for planning my fuel stops. I have a 2023 Chevrolet 2500HD (6.6) pulling a travel trailer weighing about 7500 pounds. I have a 36 gallon fuel tank and will be driving in some hills (no mountains) and flat areas.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 03:03 AM   #2

Usually figure on 9 to 11 mpg depending on wind. If you use 10 mpg you will be close enough for planning fuel stops. Depending on my mood and urgency to get where I am going sometimes 300 miles was enough. I would find a camp ground and spend the night, during that time I would refuel.

I would figure on 300 to 330 miles before refueling. 350 miles will be cutting it too close IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Usually figure on 9 to 11 mpg depending on wind. If you use 10 mpg you will be close enough for planning fuel stops. Depending on my mood and urgency to get where I am going sometimes 300 miles was enough. I would find a camp ground and spend the night, during that time I would refuel.

I would figure on 300 to 330 miles before refueling. 350 miles will be cutting it too close IMHO.
Then I should be OK with my planning. The longest span between fuel stops is less than 250 miles. I bought gas a few days ago for the first time and I got 13.5 mpg. This was a combination of city and highway driving. The range showed a little less than 500 miles when I filled it up.

When I had my 41' DP I would limit my driving each day to about a max of 300 miles a day. This was due to my eyes and headaches. Since then I had cataract surgery. I am hoping to drive about 400 each day with this setup. I drove around 62 mph in the DP. Hopefully I can drive a little faster this time.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:21 AM   #4

8-10 mpg on a good day.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #5

My limited experience tells me I get roughly 1/2 the mpg towing as I do empty on the highway.
That's what I use for "planning". Then adjust accordingly.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am looking for a realistic mpg for planning my fuel stops. I have a 2023 Chevrolet 2500HD (6.6) pulling a travel trailer weighing about 7500 pounds. I have a 36 gallon fuel tank and will be driving in some hills (no mountains) and flat areas.
Real World? You will have to fill up and keep track of gallons of fuel used and miles covered and divide them out. Everyone drives differently, engine break in, gear ratio etc., the loads you are carrying in both the truck and the trailer will affect mileage. Weather conditions including wind can and will affect mileage.
The best guess anyone could possibly give you would be just that, a guess. After a couple thousand carefully recorded miles you will have a pretty good idea.
Expect the worse and hope for the best, planning to be on the safe side at fill up time. That's why they put fuel level gauges in the instrument panels.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:08 AM   #7

10 mpg is a good number to go with. That is what I get towing with a slightly heavier TT than yours with the same truck. It will be a good number to plan with. I would suggest from your comments you would like to drive a little more than 300 miles a day. I dropped the 36 gal. tank and installed a 60 gal. tank. That allows me to not worry about fuel until after I have dropped the trailer for the night. I stop when I want to and don’t have to worry about fuel while towing. This works for me.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:37 AM   #8

LETMGROW, FYI - an educated guess is better than no guess at all.

I like people that say 'I have no idea'. When actually they have a very good idea. I think 10 mpg is good for planning. Oh sure it might be 9.8mpg or 10.2mpg or even 9.5mpg.

My educated guess stands firm at 10 mpg. I am pretty sure it will not be below 9 mpg and pretty sure it will not be above 11 mpg.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
10 mpg is a good number to go with. That is what I get towing with a slightly heavier TT than yours with the same truck. It will be a good number to plan with. I would suggest from your comments you would like to drive a little more than 300 miles a day. I dropped the 36 gal. tank and installed a 60 gal. tank. That allows me to not worry about fuel until after I have dropped the trailer for the night. I stop when I want to and don’t have to worry about fuel while towing. This works for me.
I could never drive that far without several restroom breaks and I try to do this where I can get fuel also.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:46 AM   #10

I'll be surprised if you average 10 mpg but you should be able to get at least the 7 mpg you need to make the 250 mile stops you're planning. Throw a jerry can in the back and hope you don't need it.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
LETMGROW, FYI - an educated guess is better than no guess at all.

I like people that say 'I have no idea'. When actually they have a very good idea. I think 10 mpg is good for planning. Oh sure it might be 9.8mpg or 10.2mpg or even 9.5mpg.

My educated guess stands firm at 10 mpg. I am pretty sure it will not be below 9 mpg and pretty sure it will not be above 11 mpg.
What would make you anymore educated than I when neither of us knows how the driver drives, the particulars of the tow vehicle, the particulars of the vehicle being towed, where the rig is travelling and the road conditions?
I'm educated enough to not make a WAG unless I have all the data in hand to assess it and make a reasonable guess and it would still be only a guess.
There is only one way to find out and that would be to try it.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
plan on 10 mpg until you get real data for your driving and rig.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:24 PM   #13

LETMGROW - do you have a WAG? Or are you above everyone trying to help?
Old 01-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #14

trailer height, wind direction, how heavy your right foot is for speed and how many hills your driving in. If your at the coast and its flat your average will be more constant then driving into the mountains.

On the flat running 68 mph I would expect 8~9.5 mpg with a 6.6L gas truck and 4.10 gears and the older 6 speed trans (less with the 4 speed) . The new 10 speed truck maybe 1 mpg better on the flat. In the hills, she is going to eat fuel . Figure maybe 5~7 mpg.