Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 04:12 AM   #1

Rear facing camera

Does anyone know if you can get a rear camera for a fifth wheel that will view what’s behind you that will work and be able to be viewed on GM infotainment system,
Hchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Ask GM.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #3

I already asked GM, they are clueless
Hchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #4

I think the newest model trucks have that feature 2019 1500 and 2020 2500/3500 series trucks have that option I think. They advertise 10 camera views. I see current travel trailers and 5th wheels are mostly wired for the camera. I am not sure what trim level or if it is a stand alone option.

And I think you can find after market cameras for the older trucks. These do not interface with the trucks info system though.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:32 AM   #5

So, there is a trick to this. If you have a backup camera, you can plug the "trailer" camera into that harness (with some wiring mods), but it will only work in reverse, so, if that's what you want, then OK. If you want to see behind the trailer at all times, you'll want a standalone monitor or rear view mirror with a monitor in it.
6_Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a 2016 GMC Sierra that used the Intellihaul camera system. Took a little bit to get the trailer camera to work.

https://echomaster.com/categories/intellihaul/

I now have a 2020 GMC Sierra, and I am having trouble finding the camera that fits the truck as they are currently on backorder. Not only that, but the camera connections are on the bumper, and I think trying to run a wire that connects to the bumper with a fifth wheel is not as easy as it sounds.

Good luck!

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_Riders View Post
So, there is a trick to this. If you have a backup camera...

...If you want to see behind the trailer at all times, you'll want a standalone monitor or rear view mirror with a monitor in it.

On my class c that I just sold, I had an aftermarket rear cam with a 4" screen and used an RCA A/B switch using two cameras. I connected the 12v to a toggle switch to turn them on when needed and switching the view from each camera accordingly.

I already have a backup camera on my TV and am I'm currently shopping for a TT and will install a camera on the top rear of the TT to be able to view behind using the A/B switch.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #8

I have a 2020 Gmc with technology package and is wired for you to hook up two trailer cameras I have one camera on the rear of the toy hauler that I can view anytime even when backing in the trailer. If your truck is not equipped with the technology package it may not work.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchunter View Post
Does anyone know if you can get a rear camera for a fifth wheel that will view what’s behind you that will work and be able to be viewed on GM infotainment system,
Check out Coastal tech. I have their lockpick for myford touch screen sync system, it allows you to add cameras and use the existing infotainment screen using the steering wheel buttons for control. Not sure what they offer for GM but may be an option for you
https://www.coastaletech.com/search.asp

Tags
camera