Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #15

Let's not forget that factory, like cummins 12 posted...takes out leaf springs and adds air bags. This gives you much better ride than just adding bags to already rigid leaf system.

Cummins 12 has a Cadillac ride in and dually capacity. Wish I had the cash on my new truck purchase but I eed the extra money to utilize on actually using my rig...
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I just checked a local highly rated truck acc shop.. Firestone air bags and compressor installed on a new Dodge 2500 is $916 including tax here in AR..... Just for information sake..... factory,,, which sometimes is better,, is like $1600... ?
Ask them how much for in cab controls?

The factory option is $1,356. IMHO a deal and much better then a add on system.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #17

Wild Card you might want to look at the factory option setup again their (factory) using a perch setup on the axle tube and the springs (even though less leafs?) are still in place. where as Firestone's Air-Rite are perched on top of spring to axle coupler. The bags are there to assist not replace.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #18

yes Cummins12v98 does have a "ever thing I want in a tow rig" hey there should be a option box for that I've seen the instrument cluster or some manufactures call them driver control centers hey just having fun.
Happy Trails
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
yes Cummins12v98 does have a "ever thing I want in a tow rig" hey there should be a option box for that I've seen the instrument cluster or some manufactures call them driver control centers hey just having fun.
Happy Trails
HA, it's a nice feeling to finally be able to check all the "BOXES" I want! Only down side is the required College class associated with all the fancy gizmos!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 AM   #20

Thank you everyone. After some research the best way to go is get rid of the leaf springs and go with a complete air ride system auto height , dump valve and the air comp. for air tools and tires. Plus get rid of the leaf spring warp/wheel hop. Now i need to find a good company to fab all this up. Thanks again. if anyone has any info on a company that can or has that kind of set up please let me know.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #21

Kelderman.

2 stage rear around 1400$
Custom 4 link around 4k $
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:13 AM   #22

Air lift person. Is air lift making or going to make a suspension system that uses air only? after doing more research it looks like we only have 2 company's making an air ride system at this time and one of the companys after reviewing thier product i would not put that on my pick up. So if your company was going to make such a system i might even help with the testing of the product and might even let them use my truck for testing.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL259 View Post
Air lift person. Is air lift making or going to make a suspension system that uses air only? after doing more research it looks like we only have 2 company's making an air ride system at this time and one of the companys after reviewing thier product i would not put that on my pick up. So if your company was going to make such a system i might even help with the testing of the product and might even let them use my truck for testing.
No, unfortunately we do not have any plans to start producing an air only kit. We offered these types of kits a few years ago and to be honest, they really did not sell very well so we discontinued them.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #24

rear suspension

I have a set of good year 5000 pound air bags never bought a pump so I have the air fittings though license plate holes I keep them at 35 psi all the time I have a 45 gallon transfer tank and A tool box full of junk in my bed on a 3/4 ton and rides perfect even with the camper. I like keeping that psi in them when empty truck has zero body roll. Taking out leaf springs must ride nice put would hate to blow a bag with that kind of weight on them

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #25

Thank you for all the input. Has anyone used the autoflex rear air ride system? That is the system that i am thinking of getting.Has anyone herd any good bad or ugly reviews? So far the reviews i have seen look good and the price fair. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #26

Thanks all. I decided to go to deaver springs and have them build me new spring packs. They built the main pack to give a better ride when empty and the bottom over load spring has a different bend in it and the main pack is now progressive. The upper over load pack stock was only one spring per side the new upper spring pack they built now has three springs per side and they spaced them closer to the over load perches so they start to work sooner. The truck now rides much better loaded or empty. Thanks to all of you for your help.
i
Old 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #27

I have more plies then most F350 and the ride loaded or empty is great and stable. Like TL259 the spring shop set me up with the right ply combination.
I can hook up the trailer and leave it on the springs for 20 days and not worry about anything. The helpers are not even loaded, if they were the ride would be rough. I figured they are just overload and help stability with the weak Ford stock suspension.

Tags
suspension