Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
A certified welder could re collar and weld this thing up pretty inexpensively.
Might be worth a shot to save your trip
It I got it rewelded, think Curt would have a way out of replacing it? Neighbor is an old welder
2012TxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As to Curt and welding, I would say, yes they could refuse a warranty. You would be modifying the hitch, and perhaps they might want it back for inspection. Never know though. Best bet is to wait for them to respond, and accept or reject their decision.

If only to save this one trip, hold off. If necc to save the whole summer, go ahead!! If you have it repaired, I would recommend the re-collar as already mentioned. Much stronger.

I have a Curt on my Excursion, and am hoping that this isn't something to look forward to!!! How old it the hitch?? And do you know your tongue weight??
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #17

I'd check around to see how long it would be before you would be able to have it welded and the cost. Another option would be to just have them replace the collar. Could be easier and faster than fooling with Curt.

Or you could just go buy a welder and fix it yourself. Sometimes hobbies like that can be beneficial and rewarding.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
As to Curt and welding, I would say, yes they could refuse a warranty. You would be modifying the hitch, and perhaps they might want it back for inspection. Never know though. Best bet is to wait for them to respond, and accept or reject their decision.

If only to save this one trip, hold off. If necc to save the whole summer, go ahead!! If you have it repaired, I would recommend the re-collar as already mentioned. Much stronger.

I have a Curt on my Excursion, and am hoping that this isn't something to look forward to!!! How old it the hitch?? And do you know your tongue weight??
It's a month old. It's rated for be 1200 wdh and I'm around 9-1k. Ridiculous
Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I'd check around to see how long it would be before you would be able to have it welded and the cost. Another option would be to just have them replace the collar. Could be easier and faster than fooling with Curt.

Or you could just go buy a welder and fix it yourself. Sometimes hobbies like that can be beneficial and rewarding.

Steve
Yea, I'm not gonna wait around to much longer. Id imagine they would drag their feet a long time seeing that's how CS goes these days and there's doesn't seem any good at this point. I'm not getting a reply now to VM and email not so I'm guessing they might be done or an official letter letting me know to screw off is being typed up.

All along, I thought Curt and etrailer was quality. I'm not going back to either one now.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

The hitch on my 2011 Ram did basically the same thing after just a couple years. I didn’t even bother with warranty but just went with an aftermarket hitch. Figured the OEM unit was just junk.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #21

I'm really surprised etrailer wasn't more help. They have been really good to me up to this point. If you have time, would you mind summarizing what they said?

Good luck!

Ken
Old 04-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #22

I am a welder by trade and own a mig gun. I would replace it. Yes, it can be welded back up. but being it cracked what quality is rest of it?
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #23

glenwest, are you talking about 1212TxSilvy's hitch or NDIrish's? NDIrish's seems to be damaged a lot more than Silvy's. IMHO, neither should have failed as they did.

Steve
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #24

Either one.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #25

If it were me, I would repair Silvys and keep an eye on it for a while afterwards. The other one is considerably worse and I would agree with you on it. I'm wondering, if they were replaced by Curt would they be any better?

I've had some Curt products in the past with no problems, but things can change. Like others, I've built some of these things in the past myself, with no problems.

Perhaps you could have the neighbor-welder have a look at it for his evaluation?

Steve
Old 04-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
A no-question replacement is just the right thing to do. If this is how Curt handles what's clearly a defect in their product, I will never buy anything they sell.

Let'm know they're getting some free press on a well-read forum.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #27

I'll be sure to let everyone know how they handle it but this bad news may spread fast
Old 04-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuffmanjr View Post
I'm really surprised etrailer wasn't more help. They have been really good to me up to this point. If you have time, would you mind summarizing what they said?

Good luck!

Ken
They said that it was Curt's problem since the 30 days was up. This was on day 35ish no more than 40 from when I bought it. Probably will avoid them for sure now.