Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #29

Please let us know what you find to be the problem. Did you experience noise from the hitch while towing indicating a sloppy connection between pin and latch while towing prior to this. I cant picture the hitch failing and then repairing itself so it is undectable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #30

Again, great comments and ideas, thanks. Like I said before, everything looked normal, felt normal, sounded normal-well until it dropped on my truck bed. Nothing appears to be broken or wrong with the hitch, it still functions normally. If I did high pin it, that is pretty disturbing because I followed the proper procedures in hooking up, pull test, and all the visual and safety issues. Especially disturbing if I did something wrong and it could have detached at anytime during the trip home.

So that leads to my question of what 5th wheel hitch do you guys recommend that isn't a Reese. I have seen some with double crossing jaws and some with a sliding bar that locks the kingpin in place. I obviously wont tow with this one again and if this design can allow me to hook up incorrectly and not know it, I wont have another single jaw type hitch.

I included more photos I took yesterday of the hitch. The first one shows the safety pin removed and the metal flag that blocks inserting it until that tab inside the hitch is pushed forward. I talked about that the kingpin has to depress this tab which you can see in the other photos to open the safety pin slot (it looks like a white tab under the jaw to the front). That tab really is low into the hitch which is the reason I don't think it is possible to high pin and still get the safety pin in the slot, which I did. With the jaw in the closed position, I think the opening is too large when the jaw is locked behind the kingpin. I would think it would be a tighter fit around the kingpin to prevent it popping out under heavy torque. Does the jaw and opening look correct to you guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	124729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2946.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	124730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2947.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	124731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	124732  

Tombstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
So that leads to my question of what 5th wheel hitch do you guys recommend that isn't a Reese......
I love my Curt Q20. No complaints. I am actually surprised no one responded yet with their recommendations. All due respect to you Tombstoner, and no disrespect intended, I think you may need to recheck and possibly change your hook up procedures. As many have mentioned, you have an extremely scuffed up hitch. It shouldn't look like that, especially on a newer rig. Please keep us posted
Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #32

Quote:

So that leads to my question of what 5th wheel hitch do you guys recommend that isn't a Reese.
If your factory setup already has provisions for a Goose Neck Ball why not take a look at the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection. If not the Andersen the B&W Companion is a fine hitch.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #33

Quote:

Speaking of, when I contacted Reese, who you would think would be very concerned about a possible product failure, they informed me that because it was factory installed by Ford, it's their problem. What?! Ford told me that if I repair or replace anything (trailer/truck/hitch) before they inspect it, they will deny and close my claim.
Suggestion. Just go to your own insurance company and let them work the issues. I had a problem in that the U bolts broke loose causing the axle to swing around causing about $5K damage. Year was 1999. My 5ver was insured by ST Farm and I just turned it over to them. The first thing they did was fix the damage, then they went after the RV dealer that reversed the axle. St Farm was fully reimbursed for the damage and they also refunded my $100 deductible.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #34

The major gouges and scuffs to the hitch plate were from this incident, caused by the pin box and the kingpin sliding across the plate unsupported. The rest are because when I hook up at my storage yard I have to back in at a 45 degree angle due to another RV parked in front of my trailer. That causes the metal corner of the pin box to dig into the hitch plate, scuffing it.

Thanks for the hitch recommendations, I will check them out!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #35

I absolutely love my B&W Patriot! And it's made in the US! My understanding is Curt and Reese are making these hitches in China.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #36

Does just turning a tight circle put more stress on the hitch? I didn't think so. Am I wrong?

Anyway:

I paint the back of the hitch jaw white as well as the lower lip of the hitch pin. When I look at the connection it makes it easier to see it is correct. With the lower lip of the pin painted white I hope to catch any high pin situation when I look.

I also have the Reese Elite built for Ford. I use grease on the jaw and use the Teflon plate. So I am very interested if a cause is ever determined.

Good no one was injured.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
I use the Husky Hitch. Has worked very well for 10 years. 24,000 lb.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
I absolutely love my B&W Patriot! And it's made in the US! My understanding is Curt and Reese are making these hitches in China.
China can still turnout good products. Just like your truck that was built in Mexico. Still a darn good truck, right?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Again, great comments and ideas, thanks. Like I said before, everything looked normal, felt normal, sounded normal-well until it dropped on my truck bed. Nothing appears to be broken or wrong with the hitch, it still functions normally. If I did high pin it, that is pretty disturbing because I followed the proper procedures in hooking up, pull test, and all the visual and safety issues. Especially disturbing if I did something wrong and it could have detached at anytime during the trip home.

So that leads to my question of what 5th wheel hitch do you guys recommend that isn't a Reese. I have seen some with double crossing jaws and some with a sliding bar that locks the kingpin in place. I obviously wont tow with this one again and if this design can allow me to hook up incorrectly and not know it, I wont have another single jaw type hitch.

I included more photos I took yesterday of the hitch. The first one shows the safety pin removed and the metal flag that blocks inserting it until that tab inside the hitch is pushed forward. I talked about that the kingpin has to depress this tab which you can see in the other photos to open the safety pin slot (it looks like a white tab under the jaw to the front). That tab really is low into the hitch which is the reason I don't think it is possible to high pin and still get the safety pin in the slot, which I did. With the jaw in the closed position, I think the opening is too large when the jaw is locked behind the kingpin. I would think it would be a tighter fit around the kingpin to prevent it popping out under heavy torque. Does the jaw and opening look correct to you guys?
Have you talked to the Reese people I would think they would have you send them the hitch and they would test and inspect it very carefully. They would know a law suit is coming. This is the first time I have heard of anything like this. I have installed a Blue Ox bed saver. It saved me once when I high hitched.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #40

Update

Well in my continuing saga, I am starting to not like Ford, and I have always loved Ford. Of course, I am dealing with a Ford attorney, so it isn't really Ford I don't like, but attorneys.

I have sent them photos and everything else they have asked for and their position is they are going to investigate, but at this point that doesn't include sending anyone to inspect the hitch. What? How can you determine if a hitch did or didn't fail without inspecting it? This is Ford investigating themselves to see if they are responsible for damages. I think I already know the outcome. Oh and with the ultimatum, until they complete their investigation (maybe in a couple months), if I repair or replace anything, Ford will close and deny my claim and my insurance would have to sue them for reimbursement. That's how they force you to drop your claim, make it not worth the hassle and losing use of your stuff for months.

So I have my insurance company involved and have requested they do an independent investigation involving an expert in hitches. If they determine that the hitch failed, I wont need to wait on Ford and then the insurance can deal with them.

In response to questions, I believe there is a tremendous amount of torque on the hitch when you are making a tight turn. At least with a trailer of the size and weight of mine. With the cul-de-sac U-Turn I was making coupled with the length, the trailer almost pivots on the tires at some points. I bet if I wouldn't have stopped in mid-turn like I never do, this wouldn't have happened. Starting to move again with that much stress on the hitch is probably what caused it. Even though it shouldn't have.

Oh and I have talked to Reese about this. They completely dismissed me because their hitch was installed by Ford. We live in a world where no one takes responsibility. If I was the cause of this by a bonehead move, I will accept that. But somebody needs to prove me wrong.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #41

Like I said before...I have that exact same setup and I can't see how the pin can come out without something bending or breaking.....
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Like I said before...I have that exact same setup and I can't see how the pin can come out without something bending or breaking.....
The OP's trailer has a max weight of 18k lbs. What is the max weight of your trailer?