Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
6mm

Rim size on tow V

Looking to start mr search for a new F350 tommorrow and I see they offer different sizes of rims and the truck I found 18 inch steel rims.
Is this something I need to think about for a TV.
Also on tires is there a ply rateing I should watch for,I would think I dont want a tire that has to much flex and would make the truck feel like it was swaying or not pull the TT with not flexing to much.
Thanks
6mm
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

When Dodge first went with 20" Aluminum rims on their 1/2 tons , there was only 1 supplier with only 1 tread pattern . If you wanted anything else; winter tread; you had to buy steel 17" rims . Not sure if this applies to the 18" but might be worth checking out.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty trucks now come on 17-18 -19.5 and 20 inch wheels. You can buy dozens of tires for each wheel size. The 19.5 size only comes on the F450 and bigger trucks.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
6mm

Do you guys think there is any advantage of one size over the other???
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

I like the 20 inch wheels just for the look. Tires are pricey no matter what size wheel you have.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm View Post
Do you guys think there is any advantage of one size over the other???
Yes.

Generally, 20" wheels are for the Look at me! Saturday night showoff. Kool, Man! Plus very limited choice in replacement LT type tires with the old equivalent to 10-ply rating/load range E. You do not want 20" tires if you'll be towing with your F-350.

17" wheels are for work trucks and duallys. If your F-350 is a dually (DRW), then it will have 17" tires.

Most F-350 SRW pickups with XLT or better trim level will have 18" wheels/tires. There are numerous replacement options available in LT type tires with load range E (10-ply rating). So you probably want 18" tires.

You won't have a lot of choice in size of 18" tires. 4x2s have one size and 4x4s another, with the 4x4 tires optional on the 4x2.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

I think 20 inch wheel look great on a SRW F350. And they tow as good as 17. Now the 24 and 26 inch wheels are not quite my style,
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
You really need to check the tow ratings carefully. In many cases, large (fancy) wheels reduce the overall gear ratio and the tow rating of the truck.

In my case, I bought a new Ram dually with raised white letter tires on polished Alcoa aluminum wheels. It was really nice looking, but I found out that it's nearly impossible to do a proper tire rotation. The polished wheels are only polished on one side so you can't flip them from front to back. Only 4 of the 6 wheels are aluminum so to rotate correctly, all six tires would have to be de-mounted and re-mounted.

Previous truck was a F350 SRW with 18" aluminum rims and as others have posted, tire selection is somewhat limited, but is getting better with time.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

The 18" and 20 " that come OEM on Fords F350 SRW are load range E tires.

The 20" are 3750 lb rated and the 18" are 3640 lb rated.

The 20" are very pricey and not much of a selection.

Lots of folks use them. Both work
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
You really need to check the tow ratings carefully. In many cases, large (fancy) wheels reduce the overall gear ratio and the tow rating of the truck.

In my case, I bought a new Ram dually with raised white letter tires on polished Alcoa aluminum wheels. It was really nice looking, but I found out that it's nearly impossible to do a proper tire rotation. The polished wheels are only polished on one side so you can't flip them from front to back. Only 4 of the 6 wheels are aluminum so to rotate correctly, all six tires would have to be de-mounted and re-mounted.

Previous truck was a F350 SRW with 18" aluminum rims and as others have posted, tire selection is somewhat limited, but is getting better with time.
The way we rotate on my semi trucks with twin drive axles is. Criss cross all eight drive tires. The pair on the left front go to the right rear. Pair on right rear go to left front. But the outsides stay on the outside. This keep all the shiny polished wheel outside. But it gets all front axle tires to rear and all rears to front. And all left side tires to the right side and all rights to left. The front steers just go left to right as they are a steer tread and only two on the truck. For a dully pickup with polished wheel just swap the right pair of drives to the left and lefts to right. Steers left to right. No need to ever break down any tires. This works great. Reverses the direction of every tire on the rig and get all right on left and all lefts on right. That is the only way you can do duel wheeled trucks with polished wheels.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
The 18" and 20 " that come OEM on Fords F350 SRW are load range E tires.

The 20" are 3750 lb rated and the 18" are 3640 lb rated.

The 20" are very pricey and not much of a selection.

Lots of folks use them. Both work
The 20 inch tires must be the better tow and haul tire as they have a higher load rating. There is really very little difference in price between 20 inch and 18 in tires when both are load range E. They come on new Fords in both Goodyear and Michelin. What other brands do you need. They do come in other brands also. I never buy anything but Goodyear tires for semi trucks, or pickups or SUVs. Or any vehicle as far as that goes. Our mh came with Goodyears. The Corvette came with Goodyears.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
6mm

Well I went and spent the kids money and got my new F350 XLT
Here are some of the highlites of the truck I bought.
Trailer tow package
Camper package
Snow plow package
Suspension with stabil bar
Trailer sway control
6.2L v8
Hill start assist
6 speed auto trans
3.73 electronic locking axel
4x4-SRW 18in rims
11300#GVWR package
Those are a few of the main items.
This truck will tow our RT247FLR open range roamer TT

What do you think??
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

What do you think??
2013 model RV GVWR = 8,520 = well below the ~12,000 limit for that truck. So you have plenty of truck to tow the max wet and loaded trailer weight that trailer should ever have, and to haul the max hitch weight that trailer should ever have. And if you decide later that you want a bigger TT, you'll have enough tow vehicle to handle one with GVWR up to over 10,000 pounds.

2013 Open Range Roamer RT 247FLR Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

2011 model of the RT247FLR had GVWR of 9,650, so Open Range changed something to reduce the trailer's weight capacity after the 2011 model year.

So your only remaining weight concern towing that Roamer is you never want to exceed the trailer axle GAWR.

But if Open Range is like most RV outfits, the standard tires on your trailer have barely enough weight capacity to handle the trailer's GAWR. So the first thing I would do - before any long road trip - is replace all 5 tires with tires that will give you at least 25% cushion between trailer axle GAWR and tire weight capacity. And wheels that meet the width requirements of the new tires. Maxxis makes ST225/75R15E trailer tires that require 6" wide rims. I replaced tires and rims with those on one of my trailers, and I have never had any trailer tire trouble on that trailer after the upgrade.

I replaced the stock ST205/75R15C tires on my 5er with ST225/75R15D before Maxxis came out with the load range E tires. I've had zero problems with those tires too.
Southwest Wheel has good prices on replacement trailer wheels.

Modular Trailer Wheels
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Here are some of the highlites of the truck I bought.
Trailer tow package
Camper package
Snow plow package
Suspension with stabil bar
Trailer sway control
6.2L v8
Hill start assist
6 speed auto trans
3.73 electronic locking axel
4x4-SRW 18in rims
11300#GVWR package
Those are a few of the main items.

What do you think??
If you don't get the 4.30 gears the truck will be a gutless wonder for towing. That is for the 6.2 gas anyway. I ordered 2 of them yesterday with 4.30 gears. The diesel will do great with the 3.55 and that is as low as they offer in it. The SD with 3.73 gears makes a great grocery getter though! 6.7 diesel 800 FPT. 6.2 gas 405 FPT. Yes I ordered the gassers as they will not be everyday heavy haulers.