Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2022, 05:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
Everything on schedule for us to FINALLY get the RV into our possession and off the dealer's lot. They have been extremely accommodating to us at Campers Inn in St. Augustine, FL while we got the truck issue resolved. Thanks Jim! But it's time for us to get on the road and put all this overpriced hardware to use.

Today was introduction day. Hitch was placed into its new home this morning and is firmly entrenched to proceed with the expected tasks demanded of it.

Truck and RV met for the very first time. Briefly hooked up and pressed metal to metal. Then we broke it up and proceeded to get a few tasks done inside and outside.
Wife got some coaching on the leveling system and how to help me get truck and camper hooked up safely. I also got some coaching on hitching-up ops and adjusting the brake controller. Pull check was good.

Installed the Ford Gimble assembly on the Pinbox for the backup assist option on the truck. Had planned to get the Haloview camera installed as well. But the weather was getting crappy so the camera is on hold until tomorrow.

Also got the truck weighed with full tank of fuel, hitch, and wife and I. Specs did not turn out too bad. Have a bit of wiggle room due to the capacity of rear axle.

Expectation is to go back early in the AM (after the rain is gone) and finish the last few installs. Then we will take the rig BACK to the scales to get Truck/Rig weighted together to see the final numbers. Afterwards we’re going to go find a parking lot and start practicing. More on Sunday if possible. Probably no water onboard tomorrow since my dual canister water filter must be primed anyway. But I’ve read to not travel with anymore than a few gallons onboard anyhow.

I’m getting there. Just have more work to do.
Beautiful looking rig, enjoy it!
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2022, 05:31 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get Professional Training

Since you have no large vehicle training or experience, I strongly urge you to take a professional RV driving course. The cost for two of you over 2 days will be less than the deductible for a very minor fender bender.

One that I have some familiarity with is RV Driving school at https://www.rvschool.com/

Once you have completed the course, THEN you can start practicing and building upon your newfound knowledge.
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:48 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Top Kick View Post
Since you have no large vehicle training or experience, I strongly urge you to take a professional RV driving course. The cost for two of you over 2 days will be less than the deductible for a very minor fender bender.

One that I have some familiarity with is RV Driving school at https://www.rvschool.com/

Once you have completed the course, THEN you can start practicing and building upon your newfound knowledge.

Another thing about taking a driving course is you won't pick up bad habits that are hard to break.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #46

Quote:
I’m fairly certain this will give many of you seasoned owners a chuckle, BUT…here goes...

This coming Saturday (01/22/2022) I hope to FINALLY take our RV out for the first time. I’ve got the RV – Paradigm 310RL, got the truck – 2022 F350, and got the hitch – B&W Companion 18K slider hitch. We’ve had the fifth wheel since the end of September 2021. It’s been sitting being loaded, play-camped in on several occasions (no overnights though), and being prepped to use in the back of the dealer lot. I’ve watched so many dadgum YouTube videos and scoured forum posts to try and figure out who, what, when, where, how, and why all the stuff we need. So, I THINK we’re prepared. Well, maybe.

Did I mention I have NEVER EVER towed a 36 ft trailer before? Drove a big U-Haul truck once from SC to FL but never hauled an RV. But that was it. Wait, I take that back…in 2004 I “drove” the USS John F Kennedy AIRCRAFT CARRIER for a short time while out on a deployment. If you think an RV responds slow when backing up try doing a U-turn with an aircraft carrier. Took us almost 10 minutes! So, I guess that 1000+ foot ship was longer but then I was on the water and not a street so it doesn’t really count here.

With all that said – how the heck do I safely haul this Fifth around and not get myself, my truck, and the fifth wheel into trouble? I know, open ended and loaded question. But I’m downright scared out of my wits on how to handle this thing. I know turns must be wide. You must go slow when maneuvering in campgrounds and parking lots. Stay in the right lane on the highway most of the time. Don’t drive any faster than 65 on the interstate. Start slowing down sooner than when not towing because of the weight of the 15K trailer I’m hauling, etc.

But, what is the trick to parking? How far past a back-in space do I need to be before starting to back up? How far do I pull up next to an angled pull-thru space before I start my turn into the space? I will use pull-thru sites as much as I can, but my storage location is back-in. So, I’m backing up regardless. I will have a Haloview7 Camera and two side cameras installed on the rig. Plus, my wife will be in the back spotting for me – I’ll need to video that because the yelling WILL happen. LOL. I also will have the RV gimble assembly that works with the Ford Trailer backup system to use as well.

I’m just looking for pointers and help here to try and not have things go south the first day. Hell, coming out of the RV dealership I have to turn right, then get into the left-hand turn lane to make a U-turn at a stoplight, then get onto I-95 North to head to my storage facility. Not sure if I’ll try the U-turn or go thru the light and take a right thru a subway parking lot so I can make a normal left turn at the light I would have done the U-turn at. All this in about a 2-block area of roadway.

Looking for help, suggestions, real-world experience, tips, etc. I realize I’m probably setting myself up for some off-the-cuff answers. But staying safe, not damaging anything, AND keeping my sanity while driving is my goal here. So, anyone got any tips I can use? Thanks in advance - Bill (3 days and counting..tick..tock..tick..tock)
Sounds like you are in Florida. If handy to Sefner Lazydays has a driver school . It was very informative when I went to it. It was hands on on training and not that expensive.
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #47

Here's a video that might help. Mike is the training director at a truck driving school so I'm pretty sure he's done this a time or two. As for backing, a longer trailer is easier than a shorter trailer as it responds more slowly. Good luck.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:59 PM   #48

Get a drone and learn to operate it then you have a birds eye view of your rig and surroundings
DocHolidaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Truck off dealer's lot now and parked at it's new storage location...what a day!

Went to CAT scale after picking it up and now have final numbers for weight with truck and trailer loaded:

Front Axle 5000
Rear Axle 6780
Trailer Axle 11100
Gross Weight 22800

Pin Weight around 3050 from what I can tell
Well the 5er was loaded for travel, was your truck? Sure it had the hitch, but did you have all passengers, firewood and perishable food?
I would be a little concerned with having a new 5er and TV package that starts life 250# over GVWR, and within 450# of rear axle rating, but that is me.

Enjoy your new setup
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:17 AM   #50

Once you get on the road you're going to see other 5ver owners hauling ass on the freeway, don't be that guy.
I drive a 38' motorhome. I stick to the outside lane unless I'm passing through towns with multiple on ramps then I stick to the second lane as much as possible that way you don't have to worry about the merging traffic. Also remember that you are not required to let someone entering the highway merge into traffic. Don't let other drivers stress you.
Patrick 8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #51

Smile Backing Up

Hello - We are also newbies to RVing. I am not a driver, but I read a lot and watch a lot of RV videos. My husband does a great job of driving and backing up our fifth wheel, but I know he's very nervous about it. I also know with practice he'll become more confident. Something we both just read, heard about, is to put your hand on the center bottom of the steering wheel. The direction your hand goes is the direction your trailer will turn. We haven't had the chance to try it yet (unfortunately we live in cold, snowy Massachusetts), but it sounds like it will help a lot. Just thought I would put it out there and see if it helps.
karlaclausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:56 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Maybe find a big empty parking lot. Then, with wife and 2 way radios, practice turning, backing, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!
Find empty parking lot or fairground. forget the 2 way radio's...put your phone and speaker so your paying attention to what you're doing...keep your eyes on where your trailer is at. Little practice and your confidence will grow...
Good Luck
Newmar nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #53

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar nut View Post
Find empty parking lot or fairground. forget the 2 way radio's...put your phone and speaker so your paying attention to what you're doing...keep your eyes on where your trailer is at. Little practice and your confidence will grow...
Good Luck
We managed to get it backed into our parking slot last Saturday. It was about 15 miles from the Dealer, with a CAT scale visit along the way. I have radios but we used cell phones instead and it worked great. Will keep the radios if I ever get in a pinch. As for backing the rig up, only took about 10 minutes or so. Several GOALs, and back and forth conversations between my wife and I (I surprisingly did not curse...weird for me but oh well...LOL ) and we got the rig exactly where it needed to be - centered in the space. This coming Friday we get to do it again at a Thousand Trails resort in Orlando. Gonna be fun. I'm sure very entertaining as well...
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #54

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
The basement doors of my Alliance have a little lateral play in their hinges. If they bind one one side, a quick bump will help to get them in place again. Of course the hinge stop screws could be adjusted as well.

Concerning driving I was in your shoes a year ago. Not much towing experience other than a flat towed car behind a 31' motorhome. But I picked up the trailer in Cheyenne and just drove it home to Fort Collins. Took the first couple of corners carefully while watching the trailer wheels in the mirror until I got the hang of it. Now it has 12k miles and it goes smoothly. Roadside parking is just a hassle with the long rig and I try to avoid it, especially on city streets.

Backing up is a different story. So far I got in anywhere needed although sometimes it takes numerous back-and-forth motions. To get back in somewhere as smoothly as one can move out forward (which should be possible) takes a lot of practice and I am not there yet.

When things get tight, better have an observer outside to check on that rock or campsite post that is just not visible in the mirror. Ask me how I know...
Wife and I managed to get it into our angled parking spot in storage with ZERO INCIDENTS. Kept her in my rear view mirror the whole time. A bunch of GOALs and talking on the phone (speaker in truck) but we got it. I'm hoping for a pull thru spot this weekend in Orlando but if not we'll get it where it has to go as slow as safe as possible.

BTW, everyone, I'm truly sorry if I concerned a bunch of y'all with my initial post. My OCD kicked in and after several months of waiting for the truck and rig the moment was upon me and I kind of went high and right. Once I got on the road Friday I was fine. If I did not seriously think I could handle this rig then we would never had bought it in the first place. Jerry, thanks for all the info up to now as well. Hoping this weekend - the first time we use the rig - goes OK. I just need to print out the owners manual before I go so I can figure out how to use the heater and the fireplace, among other things...
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:12 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One little tip is to tell your spotter to always watch to see that they can see your eyes. If you can't see them, they can't help.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #56
Community Moderator

Fifth wheel trailer alley backing - do an internet search on "commercial truck trailer alley backing" and find plenty of videos on how to back up your trailer. I do that all the time with a F350 crew cab dually long bed and 41 ft fifth wheel trailer.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote