Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #1

Saw my 1st 2020 GMC with ultra fancy tailgate

Today I saw my 1st AT4 loaded GMC Duramax. Wow, what a nice truck with more bells and whistles that you can shake a stick at. The Payload was 3,150lbs. The sticker was $81,000.

The truck had HUD, all the cameras, AT4 package, Durmax diesel, front parking sensors, lighting package, and just about any option you can think of.

But wow, a super fancy tailgate. Who dreams up this stuff? The tailgate folds down into a shelf with speakers and blue tooth radio. I do not know how many other configurations of the tailgate you can have but probably a dozen.

I did own the generation 1 Honda Ridgeline so I can appreciate fancy tailgates.

I am not sure how long you can keep all those moving parts working say you live in Pittsburgh with snow and ice and salt on the roads. Seems these features could not be used in winter. And maintenance of a tailgate???

It will be interesting in 5 - 7 years to hear how well the fancy tailgate is working.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #2

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, good bye....

God I hate that commercial.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

The fancy tailgate cannot be folded down with a hitch in the receiver. If you do you will be doing some bodywork.

Stupid design for a truck meant to tow no idea who though it was a good idea but likely someone that drives a Honda Ridgeline
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
The fancy tailgate cannot be folded down with a hitch in the receiver. If you do you will be doing some bodywork.

Stupid design for a truck meant to tow no idea who though it was a good idea but likely someone that drives a Honda Ridgeline
I don't think that it's any worse than the fold out tailgate step and handle that are useless once a trailer is hitched. If someone is too blind too see a trailer ball and hitch in the receiver maybe they shouldn't be driving?

FWIW I think there's maybe too much gadgetry for a tailgate. The bumper steps are probably enough for me.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:32 AM   #5

The boot steps from GM are brilliant, it beats Fords more complex tailgate step easily.

The tailgate with speakers and shelf to set beers and other drinks I guess appeal to the tailgater crowd. The tailgate reminded me of a rubics cube. I can see people trying to figure it out and messing it up by hitting the wrong button to configure the tailgate the way you want it. No doubt, there will be YouTube videos explaining it.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I don't think that it's any worse than the fold out tailgate step and handle that are useless once a trailer is hitched. If someone is too blind too see a trailer ball and hitch in the receiver maybe they shouldn't be driving?

FWIW I think there's maybe too much gadgetry for a tailgate. The bumper steps are probably enough for me.
Totally agree. When I buy a truck the ball mount goes on and when I sell it it comes off. Even if you do “see” your hitch it would be a pita to pull the pin (or unlock if you use a locker pin) and pull out a 15 pound chunk of dirty steel and find a place to stow it just to have the “convenience” of a step. Poor planning and dreadful execution.

I am still reeling mentally from the horridness of the new HD design. I was traveling down US 1 near Palm Coast (tuffr’’s neck of the woods- the construction zone up north) and a saw an all black pickup with a black grill. It caught my attention as it looked like it was in a wreck from a distance. Upon passing it I realized it was just the new HD front end. I am praying for a rapid redesign.

BTW here’s a short video of a new realization of this flaw. Also should note this tailgate is over $5000 to replace according to the local dealer so be careful!

https://youtu.be/K94ffm911aU
Old 12-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #7

Even if you know not to drop that section of the tailgate I think if you hit the wrong button you can hit the hitch by mistake. They call it a 6 way tailgate, maybe so but you need to be very careful if you keep your trailer hitch (like most people) on the truck. I am telling you guys, it was a real contraption.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

I still donít understand why someone would drive around with the hitch when not towing anything. Around here is an easy $80 fine and priceless when hitting it with my knee.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. I always took it out because one lick with my shin was all it took to make me want to set the truck on fire. There is no way I would buy a truck with that ridiculous tailgate or that runs that irritating commercial 1000 times a day.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #10

I sat in a few 2020 2500/3500 Denali's on the dealer lot Yesterday. They look gorgeous to me, inside and out. I can't wait for the DRWs to hit the lot. I probably order one late next September to time the inevitable December incentives.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

The buttons are side by side. From a closed position it will not hit the hitch but I can see me hitting the wrong button sometimes.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I sat in a few 2020 2500/3500 Denali's on the dealer lot Yesterday. They look gorgeous to me, inside and out. I can't wait for the DRWs to hit the lot. I probably order one late next September to time the inevitable December incentives.
The GMCs certainly look better to me, and of course beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. As for the inside-they havenít updated the interior since 2015.

For the old die hard GM people they just tossed some Chevrolet style traditions right in the can and left us scratching our heads. I thought I was a stubborn outlier but I keep finding others sharing my opinion.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #13

The 2020 GMC AT4 that I saw looked good. The interior was better than just ok. The paint made it look nice.

I see 20% off GM trucks but I bet it is not on the 2020's...yet
Old 12-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I prefer the Ford tailgate step since it is hidden. The bumper steps look stupid to me. Practical but ugly. I can wait the 10 seconds it takes to pull mine out once every 2 months that I actually need it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan