Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #29

Congrats on the upcoming new trailer.
One more recommendation for a 250/2500 truck for your trailer.

Your goal is to enjoy traveling, and to do that you need your rig to be both safe and reliable.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned are the brakes. You will have larger brake assemblies on the 3/4 ton trucks which is certainly important in my view. Many folks are always asking how much they can safely tow, but few ever question how much they can safely stop.

Even if you found the perfectly equipped 1/2 ton, you’d likely be marginal at the onset, and spend close to what you’d pay for a 3/4 ton. (Side note…your trailer will most likely gain weight over time, too.)

As others have already said the modern 3/4 tons are not the same trucks of yesteryear; the ride is not that bad at all. (Here in Texas a 4 door 3/4 ton is often the family vehicle.)

Happy Shopping and Safe Travels,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #30

The Nissan Titan XD has 14" brakes which is larger than most brakes.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #31

Here is the promo video for the Nissan Titan and Titan XD.

IMHO the Titan is a lite weight. The wheelbase is shorter than other 150/1500 series trucks. It also has far less payload then other 150/1500 series trucks.

The Titan XD on the other hand is better than other 150/1500 series trucks for towing. It is bigger and heavier and controls the trailer a lot better.

I will also say the 3/4 ton trucks ride pretty good and is more bang for the buck.

https://youtu.be/lWK3di6IjQE
Old 09-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHic View Post
We are buying a new 33' travel trailer and need advice for which used/new half ton truck capable of towing 10K max. Dealers send us models that do NOT have cooler on transmission and large fan? Do we need those options? We have been towing our 25' Coachmen Catalina light for 20 years but not 33'. Thank you in advance for your advice.
I have done exactly what you are looking into using a late model F-150. It will pull that trailer up a hill without issue but... you will hate the combo when driving faster that 50mph. You will really hate it on the intestates where every other vehicle will push and pull you out of your lane.
You need a heavier truck or a shorter trailer. It's not a weight thing as much as a trailer length thing. A same weight trailer that is shorter will handle better. Oh yea... Don't believe any truck or RV sales person when it comes to towing.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #33

Quote:

Exactly what half ton truck do we need? Tow package needed?

There is no "tow package" that will make a 1/2 ton enough truck, IMO. Ok, maybe a Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride hitch will help, but that's a lot of trailer for a half ton.

Wife will NOT consider a 3/4 ton as they are like cement trucks per wife. (we need a vehicle to daily drive after 3 month trip)
The newer 3/4 tons drive like a Lexus and are very quiet. Like, shockingly quiet rolling down the highway. My wife had the same preconception of the ride quality but was shocked at the ride quality of the newer trucks (I am specifically talking about GM trucks, but all the new trucks are greatly improved). The 2016 and newer trucks are great and the 2020 and newer trucks are really great. Take her for a test drive or look at smaller trailers, IMO.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #34

Quote:
I probably misspoke on first thread as newbie. We are very interested in a Keystone Hideaway 28RKS at 7008K weight. Exactly what half ton truck do we need? Tow package needed? Wife will NOT consider a 3/4 ton as they are like cement trucks per wife. (we need a vehicle to daily drive after 3 month trip) Thank you all for your responses. Bob
I'll bet you a dime on a donut that if you brought home a Ram 2500 with 60 psi in the front tires and 55 in the rear tires AND it was marked as a 1500, your wife would find the ride quite compliant. I'm guessing anything that you test drive that is marked as a 3/4 ton will immediately be perceived as a cement truck, regardless of the actual ride and comfort.

So go ahead and buy an undersized 1/2 ton and hate to tow that trailer. That makes a lot more sense.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #35

jjackrash and corn18 are not kidding. The newer trucks are quiet and ride pretty darn good.

While a Nissan Titan XD will 'probably' be enough truck and Ram, Ford, GM 250/2500 series trucks will definitely be enough truck.

They do not ride like a cement truck. That is old school. The new high strength steel frames allow for much better ride control and ride tuning.

Get this - if I had to drive across the country would I pick a Lexus? an Audi? a BMW? No, I would pick any of the new 150/1500 series trucks. Probably I would pick the new Ford F-150 Limited with massaging seats. And I would pick the Ram or GM 1500 truck over any SUV.

The 250/2500 series trucks are really not far behind in ride comfort. Heated/Cooled seats, satalite radio, massaging seats, all the safety features. GM has HUD and Ram has the best interior - better than Lexus. The GM 2500 trucks have IFS (independent front suspension) which is a nice feature.

Trucks made a big leap 10 years ago and have only gotten better. Triple sealed doors make them quiet. Oh, all diesel engines have unbelievable power. The gas engines are plenty powerful enough too.

There are millions of truck owners that 'love' their trucks. They all can't be wrong.
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #36

Add me to the list… you need a 2500. The longer the wheelbase, the better.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:01 PM   #37

Truck and TT

I suggest enjoying a half ton truck but buying a shorter trailer to solve the problem. I'm not fond of driving three-quarter ton trucks for daily drivers when I'm not camping
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #38

If your only experience with a 2500 series truck was one 10 or more years old then you need to ride in a newer one. Particularly a GM with the independent front suspension, second choice would be a RAM with the rear coil springs. The Ford would likely be the last choice but ride in them all.
Also, many people make the mistake of putting 80psi in the tires. This is usually way over inflated and makes the ride very harsh.
I'll tell you what will ride terrible, a 1500 series truck with a trailer that big. You will hate the towing experience.
There are many many kinds of trailer: flat bed, dump, horse, cattle, boat, utility, cargo, RV, etc. By far the most difficult to tow is a hard sided RV due to it's high percentage of tongue weight, it's huge frontal area, huge sidewall area, and the inability to adjust the tongue weight very much. Tow ratings are generic in that they don't know what trailer you will be towing. A truck that handles an 8,000 pound boat very well might be a struggling handful with a 7,000 pound travel trailer. There's so much more to it than tow rating.
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #39

Quote:
We are buying a new 33' travel trailer and need advice for which used/new half ton truck capable of towing 10K max. Dealers send us models that do NOT have cooler on transmission and large fan? Do we need those options? We have been towing our 25' Coachmen Catalina light for 20 years but not 33'. Thank you in advance for your advice.
None!
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:06 PM   #40

If your TT grosses at 10K......YOU NEED A BIGGER TRUCK !!

And, it it doesn't have all the super cooling goodies.....you need a new dealer.

Simple, really............
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:11 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Hello Bob, and welcome to the forums here. 90% of the advice you get here you can bank on. You will see more than one person is telling you that the truck is too small or the trailer is too big, add me to that list.

With any 1/2 ton out there today, I'd say not to exceed a 26' TT (around 28 or 29' overall to tongue end) and not much over 6000-6500lbs GVWR, which means fully loaded.

Sway at speed is a major issue, wheelbase is a big one and so is weight of the tow vehicle vs the trailer.

I would recommend you re-evaluate your needs and wants as well as expectations. Beware that many 1/2 tons out there won't even be able to safely tow a 26' 6500lb trailer, so make sure you understand and do your homework.

You really should test drive a few 3/4 and even one ton trucks. Ride has greatly improved over the years. My 1 ton DRW is really not that harsh unladen. If your wife still disapproves then maybe bring her shopping for a 22' to 26' trailer and see what her priorities are.

Worst thing is buying either or both vehicles wrong and losing big $$$$ trading in within a few months.
There is a lot of good advice in this post.

You have another big challenge ahead of you that hasn’t been mentioned. The 2/4 ton and 1 ton trucks ride much better than they ever did with the newer technology but trucks are very difficult to get right now with the chip shortage.

Used trucks are priced out of sight and there are long lead times on ordering new.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 PM   #42

Add me to the list; the trailer you are considering is WELL beyond what you should tow with any half ton truck.

Since you've said a 3/4 ton isn't being considered, start looking at smaller trailers - as someone else mentioned, my half ton "line in the sand" is about 26' OAL and 6,500 lbs loaded with full tanks.

....Oh, and beware of confirmation bias when 99 people tell you the same thing but then one guy chimes in with the answer you REALLY want so you go with that and ignore the rest. ;-)

Dave

Tags
advice, tow, towing