Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2023, 03:49 PM   #15

If your looking at tires , upgrade to a load range E 80 PSI tire for the suburban!
Stiffer side walls will help make it feel more stable. I would suggest you get a good load distribution hitch to help load the front axel of the SUB and prevent sway. I would guess that 5~6000 lb GVW trailer less then 25' is your MAX and you may want to consider two cars on the trip to free up some payload compacity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2023, 07:32 PM   #16

Thanks all. Unfortunately, I have 2 kids in child seats, 2 in boosters, and a big skinny dog. We like the burb as it fits us comfortably and yes the boys and girls like to fight when next to each other, haha.

The only other vehicle that would make sense is a conversion van that could fit 8/9. However, I really don't want to make 2 large purchases in a month if the burb could work as is or with a bit of modification.

After I do the weigh-in this weekend, I was considering calling around the local shops and seeing what it would cost to switch out my diff from a 3.08 to 3.73 or 4.1. For a 2016, I wouldn't mind putting in a little money as it is a vehicle I see us keeping for a while. Also looking into trans cooler. I should have purchased one with the max towing package but dang, missed that option. So for now, I will have to make it work.

I don't mind starting with a hybrid trailer as an intro to RV. It will help me get the hang of driving and running a TT. The kids are still little and do not take up too much space, ha.
If in the future we upgrade, I would prob consider a conversion van.

Thanks.
Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:44 PM   #17

I looked into having the differential gears changed a few years ago..I was surprised by how much they wanted..it was way more than I thought. I think it was $800 if I remember right. Now it would be more I am sure.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:41 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't put yourself into a false sense that lowering your axle ratio will greatly increase your towing capacity. The Max Trailering Package, as a minimum, changes the axle ratio from 3.08 to 3.42. At 3.08, the max tow rating reduces to 6-6,300 lbs. I don't know what the MTP adds to up the tow rating to 8K lbs, such as heavier suspension.

But, in the end, you can't exceed your posted front and rear axle ratings and the GVWR. Ultimately, these ratings will be the limiters because of tongue weight.

Be careful of conversation vans. Not only does the conversion add unwanted weight, most are based on the 1/2 ton versions with lighter suspensions and smaller engines. For towing a trailer, you should be looking at 3/4 or preferably 1 ton vans with the bigger engine options. Google 2016 Chevrolet Towing Guide and download it. It will give you a great comparison of all the different models.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlife View Post
Thanks all. Unfortunately, I have 2 kids in child seats, 2 in boosters, and a big skinny dog. We like the burb as it fits us comfortably and yes the boys and girls like to fight when next to each other, haha.

The only other vehicle that would make sense is a conversion van that could fit 8/9. However, I really don't want to make 2 large purchases in a month if the burb could work as is or with a bit of modification.

After I do the weigh-in this weekend, I was considering calling around the local shops and seeing what it would cost to switch out my diff from a 3.08 to 3.73 or 4.1. For a 2016, I wouldn't mind putting in a little money as it is a vehicle I see us keeping for a while. Also looking into trans cooler. I should have purchased one with the max towing package but dang, missed that option. So for now, I will have to make it work.

I don't mind starting with a hybrid trailer as an intro to RV. It will help me get the hang of driving and running a TT. The kids are still little and do not take up too much space, ha.
If in the future we upgrade, I would prob consider a conversion van.

Thanks.
Gearing does nothing for payload or the frame or brakes. We owned a 2020 Suburban with the 6.2l and it was really not great for towing anything heavier than a boat in my opinion. I never had an RV behind it, but I truly don't think I would have enjoyed that towing experience.
darrellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:41 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok, I feel like I should chime in here, as I have a wife, 4 kids, an Expedition and a TT. Yes, our total payload towing capacity is a bit more than yours, but the payload is not much more, and payload is what you’re likely to run out of first. We have a discontinued floor plan but love it and it was also made by Keystone as a hideout 18fLB and as a Springdale 189FLWB. The big advantage with 6 people is all of those came with 60gal fresh water tanks. If you’re only planning to use full hookups, it’s not an issue, but if you’re going to national parks…
Old 04-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Ok, I feel like I should chime in here, as I have a wife, 4 kids, an Expedition and a TT. Yes, our total payload towing capacity is a bit more than yours, but the payload is not much more, and payload is what you’re likely to run out of first. We have a discontinued floor plan but love it and it was also made by Keystone as a hideout 18fLB and as a Springdale 189FLWB. The big advantage with 6 people is all of those came with 60gal fresh water tanks. If you’re only planning to use full hookups, it’s not an issue, but if you’re going to national parks…
This is nice to hear. Thank for sharing. I didn't realize the Expedition has 200lb over my sub in carrying capacity. That is tremendous. I may be trading in if that is the case.

Do you have the trailering package? How does it ride with the trailer, any mountain towing? What kind of hitch do you use? Any advice on pulling with an SUV like that?

I could def save weight if I don't need to carry water but we will definitely want to do national parks. However, That would be a huge saver to help with carrying capacity.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #22

Quote:
This is nice to hear. Thank for sharing. I didn't realize the Expedition has 200lb over my sub in carrying capacity. That is tremendous. I may be trading in if that is the case.

Do you have the trailering package? How does it ride with the trailer, any mountain towing? What kind of hitch do you use? Any advice on pulling with an SUV like that?

I could def save weight if I don't need to carry water but we will definitely want to do national parks. However, That would be a huge saver to help with carrying capacity.
I know Suburbans, I still have my 94, which is a much better tow pig than the newer ones, except for engine and trans.

Get 10 ply load range E tires. Run them at 60-70 psi back, 50 front. It will run a bit harsher though, nothing is free. Get a set of Timbren SES suspension aids out back, inexpensive and foolproof, lifetime warranty.

Make sure you're not gonna top much over 5000lbs, "maybe" 6000lbs loaded and full of water, batteries propane,food,clothes etc. I wouldn't go over 26' overall length end to end. Make sure you have a proper sized load distribution hitch.

FWIW my 94 has something like 2600lbs payload. I hauled a 26'TT (29' end to end) that weighed over 6000lb, sometimes 6500lbs loaded. It towed like a dream, but was gutless. I almost had to get out and push if I had a standing start up a 10% grade.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I know Suburbans, I still have my 94, which is a much better tow pig than the newer ones, except for engine and trans.

Get 10 ply load range E tires. Run them at 60-70 psi back, 50 front. It will run a bit harsher though, nothing is free. Get a set of Timbren SES suspension aids out back, inexpensive and foolproof, lifetime warranty.

Make sure you're not gonna top much over 5000lbs, "maybe" 6000lbs loaded and full of water, batteries propane,food,clothes etc. I wouldn't go over 26' overall length end to end. Make sure you have a proper sized load distribution hitch.

FWIW my 94 has something like 2600lbs payload. I hauled a 26'TT (29' end to end) that weighed over 6000lb, sometimes 6500lbs loaded. It towed like a dream, but was gutless. I almost had to get out and push if I had a standing start up a 10% grade.
Good deal. The one we are now looking at is a 4200 dry, so i am guessing 5200 wet. 22ft https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/rockwood-roo/183/6246

It makes sense as a beginner and fits all of us really well. Kids are small.

We want to do national parks this summer.
Missouri to Yellowstone, down to grand canyon, and back. I am worried about grade driving, reading a lot of these statements. Appreciate the comments.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Good deal. The one we are now looking at is a 4200 dry, so i am guessing 5200 wet. 22ft https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...d-roo/183/6246

It makes sense as a beginner and fits all of us really well. Kids are small.

We want to do national parks this summer.
Missouri to Yellowstone, down to grand canyon, and back. I am worried about grade driving, reading a lot of these statements. Appreciate the comments.
We are planning a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons/Badlands trip mid to late July ourselves. Planning our route and starting maintenance on both rigs today.

Check GVWR of the TT you plan on buying and use that for max weight, you'll likely be very close. Make sure the truck is in good shape,brakes and rear suspension especially. Learn how to use tow/haul and brakes effectively. Get the trailer brakes and controller dialedin before the long trip. Learn how to pack trailer and truck effectively.

I've hauled that 6500lb trailer up and down hills, engine power (lack of)and trans.(4L60 4 speed only) is what pissed me off enough to wanna go dually and 5th wheel.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I have the HD towing package. If you add the trailer brake controller and transmission cooler to your Suburban you’ll be fine, so long as you don’t exceed any weight limits.

As for mountain towing, yes. We’ve got about 25,000 towing miles on the rig and have been to all 3 national parks in WA, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Big Bend national parks. We’ve had no issues, and I’ve been really impressed with the Expedition’s tow/haul programming which uses engine braking as much as possible (to minimize heat build up on your actual brakes). If the programming in your Suburban is anywhere near as good, the larger, heavier 5.4L V8 in your Suburban should do even better.

It rides just fine with the trailer, but it took me a few trips to the CAT scales and some extra parts to get the hitch setup dialed in. I started with an inexpensive EZ-Lift that the previous owner included when we bought the trailer. I went through two drop shanks and replaced the 800lb bars with 1200lb bars (my tongue weight is 900lbs with a full tank of water). Use the CAT scales, numbers don’t lie.

As for advice, don’t rush when driving. Particularly when backing into a campsite. I don’t care how many people are stuck behind you and how annoyed they are, take your time. And if you don’t have a lot of experience backing trailers, take an afternoon, some cones, and find a large empty parking lot and practice backing up. Take turns with your wife driving and spotting.

Regarding water, it’ll really depend on where your water tank is located. If it’s over the trailer axle, filling it won’t really make much difference. Mine is in the front of the trailer, so if I had the Suburban, I’d be over payload, rear axle, and max receiver weights if I tried to tow with a full tank. OTOH, if it’s behind the trailer axles and you fill it, you’ll have to be careful not to put so much weight in the rear of the trailer that it wants to sway. (Which is another good reason to use the CAT scale.)
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:55 PM   #26

Take another day

Lots of great advice posted above. Only a little I can add.

Plan to drive slower, so shorter distance each day. There are all kinds of great state and local parks between Missouri and Nevada for a 2 night stay.

Going faster is more risky. Leave distance between you and vehicle ahead. Yes, others are going to slide into your safety zone. Don't let it get to you.

And by the way, when the kids disorder threatens to make you go faster, think about the possibilities and how bad the family situation would get if one of those unlikely but deadly scenarios played out. It is better to stop at a county park let them out and take another day. I know how hard that is to do when you have to be back to work soon.

Take a northerly route if possible in July and August. The heat gets to be unbearable for non-desert dwellers. Mountains are great in summer.

Climbing and descending the Rockies requires learning how to drive. Your rear axle ratio is going to be a minor problem. Expect to clime slower. Lots of people will pass you. Get over it.

The big deal is descending. Always start down slower than you think. Once you get going fast you may not be able to stop or even slow down enough.

Even interstate highways have surprise low speed switch backs. Always be slow enough to stop quickly. A bigger engine or different axle will not help with this.

Be aware of where emergency run outs are located. If breaks fade, you will need to crash the gate. Definitely try not to get into that situation. Come around a sharp turn and confront backed up traffic. Only choices are drive off the cliff and die quick or plow into traffic and die slow with lots of bystanders.

Passing on the shoulder may come up in a pinch. One driver took to the shoulder when he couldn't slow and killed a whole family in a vehicle ahead of him, but saved his own life. Do you feel lucky? Take another day instead.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 04:37 PM   #27

On the 23rd page of the 2016 Burb brochure you will find this towing spec...
2WD: 6,300 lbs.
2WD: 8,300 lbs. with Max Trailering Package
4WD: 6,000 lbs.
4WD:8,000 lbs. with Max Trailering Package or Z71 Off-Road Package

Be careful when seeing the advertisement that it will tow "up to 8000 pounds" which you see on page 14. That's true if you have equipped it when new with the heavy duty towing package which usually includes much more effective transmission cooling, High volume engine oil cooling, and the 3:73 axle. Notice that the 4WD vehicle has a lower tow rating due to the extra weight of the front drive axle and supportive hardware. The last thing you need to do is cook your trans on a trip.

Here's the brochure with the spec.

https://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Chevrolet/Suburban/Chevrolet_US%20Suburban_2016.pdf
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:23 PM   #28

We towed with a taho denali pkg. About 5000 lb trailer. Vehicle ran hotter temps than I liked.
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, suburban, trailer, travel, travel trailer