Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Just curious, how much does your 5ver weigh? GVWR and the pin weight? There are a lot of 5vers that will tow very comfortably behind a F350/3500 Dually with a diesel engine.
My trailer weighs around 10,000 lbs. I have a 3/4 ton Chevy with a duramax and it does fine. But someday I want to go bigger. Pickup trucks are so darn expensive. I can buy a pretty nice older semi truck for $10,000 + modifications that will last me a long time and I never have to wonder if it will pull it.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
I built this truck for my own personal use. I put it together with the sole aim of skirting all the rules.

It started life as a class 8 semi tractor. 11.1/330 Detroit, Super 10, air ride, jakes, cruise, tilt & tele. By removing the 5th wheel and putting a bed on it, it became a straight truck and required re-registering. In the process of opening it up to re-register it gave me free had to set the numbers nearly anyway I want. I dropped an axle and lightened the truck all I could to get the empty weight for the title down to 15,060 lbs. having a manufacturers rating of 5 tons I was forced to have a minimum carrying capacity of 10,000 lbs putting me at 25,060 GVWR. This was a full size heavy duty truck (with air brakes) that used the same plate, same inspection sticker, same insurance and drivers license as an ordinary pickup. A 16 yr old with a newly minted provisional license could drive it daily anywhere.

That being said, there's no reason that you couldn't go anywhere in it from state to state on reciprocity. When towing you would need to be licensed A or B depending on trailer weight as you'd be over the 26k threshold. As long as you're towing your personal property that's not making any income you're still not commercial and not subject to commercial operating rules. I only went out of state a couple of times in it towing a dual tandem GN, but never even stopped at the weigh stations just like I wouldn't with my pickup towing personal property.

You should explore whether or not your state allows you to use you're farm tagged vehicle to use as a tow vehicle to vacation in. Common sense legislation recognizes you shouldn't have to have an additional heavy tow vehicle to use just a couple of times a year when you already have those vehicles for your farm work. Texas allows this.

That right there is pretty close to what I'm shooting for. What is your wheelbase? I want to stay as close to 200 as I can.

My pickup that I tow with now is farm plated. I never had any trouble except sometimes you will be pulled over by DOT and they will dip your tanks looking for red fuel.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #17

I'm not sure what the WB was. I removed the fwd drive axle and moved the rear drive axle up to the fwd's mounts then lopped the frame off for an 11' flat bed. I built it a few years back and then let it go because I wasn't using it enough. I often regret not hanging on to it. I'd have a big ol toy hauler to go behind it these days.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Laws vary from state to state.. There used to be a Canadian company (Wil-Ro) Far as I know they are still there but they made a line of Tractors called "Trail-Hauler" they are the Peterbuilt "local delivery" size (Mini Petes) Semi Tractors.. Sign painted said NOT FOR HIRE. RV USE ONLY on the sides.

They took regular pick up plates as I recall.. But laws vary from state to state and I'd not wish to advise wrong so check with the proper department.

NOTE: Good Tow vehicles for folks who do NOT want to get lied to when they ask the sales critter "Can my truck tow this".. Yes.. IT CAN.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #19

All states requirements is on Escapees forum. Go to HDT section and click on Heavy Haulers Resource Guide. That info there
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #20

PM sent
Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Look HERE
I looked at this for a long time, thanks.

Tags
tow