Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Set-Up of Weight Distribution System (Empty Trailer)

Have a question: In the future I plan to drive cross country to buy a new RV trailer. At least that is the plan. I have my present weight distribution system with 800 lb. trunnion bars. The new RV trailer will be a good deal heavier up front. I'll buy 1200 lb. bars. The dealer said they will set up the new (heavier) trailer when I come to pick it up.

Here is the real question. How do they (RV dealer service dept.) set the correct height on an empty trailer? This new trailer looks like it is going to be tongue heavy, as all the exterior storage is in the front bay. So how will the service tech compensate for a empty trailer?

This new trailer does come with two 30 lb. propane tanks and two batteries. Normally I'll have 2-3 bikes in the truck, some firewood.

Most likely I will be driving 1500+ miles solo (truck only / no trade) for the new empty trailer.

Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RKS (880 dry tongue)
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2

If like any other standard RV TT sale, the WDH won't be setup right. And you have identified the fact that the trailer won't be loaded either which can mildly change the setup too.

If I were in your shoes, I would check the location of the fresh tank, hopefully it is forward of the axels, and have them completely fill the fresh tank before WDH adjustments. You may still need to make adjustments once you get you new TT home and properly balance loaded for the correct tongue weight.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Have a question: In the future I plan to drive cross country to buy a new RV trailer. At least that is the plan. I have my present weight distribution system with 800 lb. trunnion bars. The new RV trailer will be a good deal heavier up front. I'll buy 1200 lb. bars. The dealer said they will set up the new (heavier) trailer when I come to pick it up.

Here is the real question. How do they (RV dealer service dept.) set the correct height on an empty trailer? This new trailer looks like it is going to be tongue heavy, as all the exterior storage is in the front bay. So how will the service tech compensate for a empty trailer?

This new trailer does come with two 30 lb. propane tanks and two batteries. Normally I'll have 2-3 bikes in the truck, some firewood.

Most likely I will be driving 1500+ miles solo (truck only / no trade) for the new empty trailer.

The dealership will follow the standard procedures for setting up your WDH. The fact that it is unloaded doesn't change the process. In other words, you may need to readjust the WDH when you load it up for the first time. Have them fill any water tanks that are mounted in front of the axles. This will help simulate loading (just make sure you drain them before leaving). When you get it home and have it loaded up, take a short drive to a level parking lot and check to make sure everything looks right by following your WDH's adjustment guidelines. Make adjustments as necessary and then you should be set.

I would ask the dealer what the max weight the tongue is rated for and buy your bars weighted closer to that. This will ensure you don't have to buy another set because 880# dry tongue weight + 70# propane tanks + 140# in batteries + 12% of 1900# carrying capacity is approximately over 1300# which means your 1200# bars are under rated when loaded. Unless you plan on relocating the batteries or always carrying light when loaded and never adding water that is.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They won't. If they have any brains, they will adjust the WD hitch for the empty trailer so it will be properly set up for your 1,500 mile trip home. Then they should advise you to change it before you go camping with a loaded trailer.

Quote:
This new trailer does come with two 30 lb. propane tanks and two batteries.... Most likely I will be driving 1500+ miles solo (truck only / no trade) for the new empty trailer.
Before the tech adjusts the hitch on the "empty" trailer, be sure the propane tanks are full, with enough water in the fresh water tank to flush the pottie while on the road. Plus if you will be hauling any weight in the "empty" trailer for the trip home, be sure that weight is also in the trailer before the tech adjusts the WD hitch.

Quote:
Normally I'll have 2-3 bikes in the truck, some firewood.
Forget "normal" for the trip home. Have the tech set up the hitch for the "empty" trailer and the actual weight in the tow vehicle.

Quote:
Ignore that dry tongue weight - it's understated. Instead, after you have the TT loaded for the trip home, then use a tongue weight scale to get the actual tongue weight of the trailer.

After you leave the RV dealership with the trailer, then go to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck scale, fill up with gas, then and weigh the rig twice - once with the trailer tied on but without the spring bars tight, and the second time without the trailer.

Subtract the weight of the tow vehicle without the trailer from the weight with the trailer. The answer is gross trailer weight.

Divide the actual tongue weight by the gross trailer weight to get percent of tongue weight. If the answer is not at least 10% and not more than 15%, then move weight in the trailer until you achieve a tongue weight of 10% to 15% of gross trailer weight. (If I'm the one doing it, for that long drive home, I'll continue moving weight until I achieve 12% to 14% tongue weight.)

While the trailer is disconnected from the truck, measure the distance from a point on the front fenderwell to the ground. Remember that distance, or write it down.

Connect the trailer and the WD hitch, with the spring bars tightened to where the tech thought they should be. The floor of the trailer should be level front to rear. If not level front to rear, disconnect and adjust ball mount on the adjustable shank of the WD hitch to result in a level trailer with the spring bars tight, then hook it all back up, with the spring bars tight.

Then measure the distance from that same point on the front fenderwell to the ground. The distance should be between zero and one-half inch higher with the spring bars tight than without a trailer. If it's more, then tighten the spring bars another notch and measure again. If it's less with the trailer than without, then loosen the spring bars a smidgen and measure again.

With a level trailer and properly adjusted spring bars to result in the correct front fender height, then you should be ready to safely hit the road for home.

But after you get home, and before you head out to go camping, go though the same process again to match the wet and loaded trailer to the wet and loaded tow vehicle.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Before the tech adjusts the hitch on the "empty" trailer, be sure the propane tanks are full, with enough water in the fresh water tank to flush the pottie while on the road. Plus if you will be hauling any weight in the "empty" trailer for the trip home, be sure that weight is also in the trailer before the tech adjusts the WD hitch.
I just found out the fresh water tank (80 gallons) is from the rear axle towards the rear of the trailer. That model has two gray tanks (40/40) one on / under the rear kitchen / rear wall and the black and other gray under the bathroom half way towards the front of the unit.

Might be an idea to fill both of those tanks to give me (40 + 40 under bathroom) to give me maybe another 350 lbs on the front tongue. Then just dump them before leaving the dealership.

Yes, I would take "some" RVing stuff with me when I would go to pick it up. I would most likely camp near by for a few days to work out any bugs. I have maybe 4-5 totes of cloths, cooking supplies, tools....So I will have some weight to load a new unit up.

Also found out the cargo capacity is 3295 (without 4x) or 4295 with the 4x off-road option. That is a lot of capacity...

Looking over my Cat Scale ticket from our trip to Alaska last summer, I weighed at the first scale with full fresh water (52 gal.) and well stocked at 2300 lb of total "stuff" in RV and truck including people. The J2807 SAE says two 150 lb occupants and 100 of towing equipment can be taken off the weight. That would drop that down to 1900.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Might be an idea to fill both of those tanks to give me (40 + 40 under bathroom) to give me maybe another 350 lbs on the front tongue. Then just dump them before leaving the dealership.
No. Let's start over.

You want very close to the same tongue weight on the trip home as the tech used when setting up and adjusting the WD hitch.

So don't dump any tanks after you leave the dealership. If you don't want to haul any extra weight all the way on that 1,500-mile trip home, then don't have that weight in the trailer when the tech sets up an adjusts the hitch.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #7

I think you have the ability to adjust your own WDH. Seems from previous posts you're capable of DIY.
I don't know which hitch you have but they all adjust about the same. I have found that most dealers don't set up hitches properly and you are better off to go to a level parking lot and redo it yourself. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to do it. When you get back home then redo the measurements and readjust as needed. You will know it is correct then.
If you haven't done this yet then read the manual and you will see that it really is easy.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
So don't dump any tanks after you leave the dealership. If you don't want to haul any extra weight all the way on that 1,500-mile trip home, then don't have that weight in the trailer when the tech sets up an adjusts the hitch.
Got ya...

My last RV trailer was bought 2-3 hours away. At the time I had a SUV where they set up the new WD hitch I brought with me. Completely empty trailer...Wasn't bad on the way home on the slower city streets (semi-windy conditions) but once I hit the freeway it was a bear to handle...I thought it was the wind and being a empty trailer that was doing me in.

So when I got home I assumed in the delivery prep of my new unit they would have made sure the tire pressures were correct (50 psi). You have to be kidding me. The two on one side were both at 20 & 18 psi and the other two at 50. So once I loaded the trailer and filled the tires, it rode as it should for a SUV (4Runner) and trailer.

Quote:
I think you have the ability to adjust your own WDH. Seems from previous posts you're capable of DIY.
To a point...There are two things I shy away from. WD hitch set-ups and electrical (110V).
Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
You really should look into learning to setup your WDH. Even if you need a local RV tech to walk you through it. It's not something you set once and forget. New TV, loaded with or without water, or just knowing that something doesn't look right when you are all hooked up is worth the time. It isn't that hard to do and there are plenty of YouTube videos that cover a variety of WDH setups. The most important thing is to make sure you are setting it up on a level surface. I had to do mine at a gas station.

Tags
trailer, weight