Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure View Post
I called my cousin who is an amazing welder and can invent solutions to see if he can come up with a bracket extender to lower a step bar or see if he can figure a way to add a bully step like the one suggested below a step bar.
Just thinking outside the box but could he mount an electric RV step under the truck? Some have a lower profile than others. As an example perhaps something similar to this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #30

How about getting a power step, like most class A motorhomes have and mount that to the bottom? You may have enough clearance to not worry about that.
2004 Monaco DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->'21 Gladiator Willys EcoDiesel-17K Wh LFP BigBatt-/RO-100G/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #31

We have the 2017 F350 diesel crew can. I am 5' 1" and almost 74 yrs young. Getting in is not my problem because I can grab the bar up by the windshield, but getting out takes practice. Our older bodies (even though we are very active) do take longer to heal and we aren't as limber as in our younger years. I must add though, I love our honkin' big truck. We pull a 40' toyhauler with a 1200 lb. motorcycle in the back and it pulls and rides like a dream. We winter in AZ, and if my husband is playing golf then I take the truck to shop, and feel like queen on the hill.

Sent from my XT1585 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #32

That idea needs to be invented for truck needs. It would be a problem for parking lots motorhomes donít park in parking spaces and we need something for both the driver and passenger. The electric step for trucks works but sits too high. There needs to be a double steps for trucks that has an adjustable bracket to chose your best height.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #33

For the suggestion to check out GMC we went to a dealer last night with a yard stick. We checked out a Denali. It has a beautiful interior and is a beautiful truck and it does sit lower but the step on it is 17 inches from the ground just like the Ford itís just 7 inches less from the step into the cab. Also for the same money Ford offers more tech that GM will probably add in their next revision.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #34

Quote:
The ford electric step looks just like the AMP I thought maybe they were the supplier but I read a review that AMPs is better but ford charges $695. How much lower does the extension lower the step? Fords is at 17Ē off the ground on the F350

Here is what is on Amp's website for the height/drop - the Amp powerstep XL drops those numbers another 3 inches.

http://amp-research.com/wp-content/f...ps_PSDrops.pdf
Old 06-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Thank you all for some great suggestions. The grab handle and leash are very easy to do and would save wrecking a elbow/shoulder lifting from the arm rest. My sister uses the step idea on her f150. That would be difficult with both of us having to fish the step to get out. Sometimes parking spaces barely let you open the door. We do not have a handicap card for a bigger space.

Canít do the Motorhome idea as our truck and trailer is being stored on a campsite in Albuquerque and we flew home to get a new truck to go back sell the truck hopefully to a mechanic then bring our trailer home.
We have A plan for the Ford truck so we havenít looked at GMC or Ram but weíll go out tonight and take a measure.

I called my cousin who is an amazing welder and can invent solutions to see if he can come up with a bracket extender to lower a step bar or see if he can figure a way to add a bully step like the one suggested below a step bar.

Please keep the discussion going as I told my cousin when the RVers with older models need to find a replacement there will be a lot of people in our situation. I didnít have any luck talking to Fords design team I couldnít get past the marketing/service departments on the contact list.
I think Ford bypassed the RVers in this new design.
My in-laws are both less than 5' 5" and my father-in-law drags himself out of their Chevy Silverado (used to pull their 5th wheel), but he positions their step to allow my mother-in-law to more easily climb into and out of the truck. My father-in-law can use the step stool to get into the truck, but not exit. They have a string on the step to retrieve it, but have not found a solution for putting it on the ground for him to exit. :-(
harrierncd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #36

Why not let the undesirability of 2WD work for you instead of against you? Buy used.

A couple of months ago there was a 2006 Ram 3500 2WD Laramie on the Portland CL with less than 50k original miles. It took a long time to sell. They are out there.

My 2004 Ram's floor sits at 21" and will tow your trailer with ease. At 91k miles the 5.9 Cummins will tow another 10 years for me no sweat. After 5 years of ownership my depreciation costs are less than a third of what a new truck's would be the day it drove off the lot. I bought it right because it is 2WD.

From a financial and height standpoint there are used solutions.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #37

Just take the truck to a local fabrication shop and have them make tubular steps at any level you desire. How well it looks overall in the end will be how much you are willing to pay. You could easily get one long tube step with lower hoop steps off of that for around $1000 that is fully functional and spray painted. Something finished a lot nicer and powder coated would be more costly.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #38

I see at least 3 or 4 solutions in this thread.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:59 AM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maybe take some existing steps and have a fab shop weld up a second step that would flip out like travel trailer steps do? Then you would have two steps instead of only one to climb up and in. Once in perhaps the lower step could be flipped up with a cane or rod with a hook on the end for traveling and then flipped down when your destination is reached.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #40

Off-road that is exactly what I asked my welder cousin to do . He hasnít gotten back to me.

SeanB02 weíve had the tubular step bars before and found that we prefer a flat step. We live in snow country and did better with the larger step area. Thanks for the idea. Hopefully your idea will work for someone else reading this thread who has the same problem to solve.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Off-road that is exactly what I asked my welder cousin to do . He hasnít gotten back to me.

SeanB02 weíve had the tubular step bars before and found that we prefer a flat step. We live in snow country and did better with the larger step area. Thanks for the idea. Hopefully your idea will work for someone else reading this thread who has the same problem to solve.

Update
Well weíve been driving the new 2019 F 350 since Sept and we are doing ok getting in and out thanks to the Ford power running boards. They are wide and a good flat surface so with the long way up and down we have a stable spot in between. My husband uses a seat cushion from Costco to raise him up in the seat so that he can see over the side mirrors. The mirrors are so huge I am extra cautious watching for pedestrians as the mirrors and the windshield frame really block that view. Visibility was much better in our 2005 f250 though the seats are more comfortable in this one.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Update
Well weíve been driving the new 2019 F 350 since Sept and we are doing ok getting in and out thanks to the Ford power running boards. They are wide and a good flat surface so with the long way up and down we have a stable spot in between. My husband uses a seat cushion from Costco to raise him up in the seat so that he can see over the side mirrors. The mirrors are so huge I am extra cautious watching for pedestrians as the mirrors and the windshield frame really block that view. Visibility was much better in our 2005 f250 though the seats are more comfortable in this one.
Curious why you didn't just fix the truck you had already since it worked for you
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote