Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #85

I don't fault the oil companies for high prices. Two years ago they were all losing money during the covid lockdowns. Now they're making money. Good for them. I don't see them making any more money than any other large companies. We should be thanking them for bringing us this product that has created modern civilization and made us all wealthy.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:53 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I don't fault the oil companies for high prices. Two years ago they were all losing money during the covid lockdowns. Now they're making money. Good for them. I don't see them making any more money than any other large companies. We should be thanking them for bringing us this product that has created modern civilization and made us all wealthy.
You must have a lot of $$$ invested in them? They are bandits. They are all making record profits by selling a product that is overpriced by at least 50% at this time.

They'll start really cryng in a few years. They're shooting themselves in the foot by screwing us with these price hikes. there is a LOT of EV interest where I live. People will sell a kidney to obtain one.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship3858 View Post
I personally think "shortage" is a false word here. There is no, and will be no shortage of diesel. "No real shortage" We have enough reserves to run this country for 10 years if needed. The fuel powers that be, simply want to legally charge you $15 a gallon and hide the fact that fuel costs them virtually no more to produce than it did last week.

I hear from folks in the business that a lot of the problem for fuel and other stuff is shipping costs and lack of shipping capability. many thousands of drivers and owner-operators have quit the business. also many oil companies sell worldwide and as an earlier poster said, world demand and prices are up. My wife's family sold their fleet of refrigerated trucks and closed their decades old business the last time diesel went up and the west coast states changed a bunch of trucking regulations to satisfy the greener agenda there. labor is scarce and costs more and the fact is, the cost of just about everything is up so it is a snowballing affect. as for us, we will scale back our travel plans to shorter trips till things start to settle down but will go camping as much as we can this summer.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 12:09 PM   #88

We just started our journey... and gonna have to cut the rv driving short. We left CO and went to KY due to some familial medical issues. 1300 miles cost about $1000.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:48 PM   #89

I don't mind paying $20 or more per gallon for diesel. As someone else on this forum said, fuel = freedom. I can go anywhere I want to whenever I want to. Freedom is pricelss.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:33 PM   #90

Shortage of diesel fuel

We just got back from a 3 week trip from Tx to OK, MO, IL, KY, TN, and AR. Saw Diesel prices vary from a high of $5.69 at a Loves in MO to a low of $5.04 today at a Sripes in Lampasas TX.. (shortly after I had paid $5.07 in Gatesville). The highest prices were at the big national chain truck stops which I avoided. I did manage to use truck islands for every fill up.

Pay attention folks, the prices are varying greatly. With a 150 gallon tank I can drive on past a lot of stations which are obviously price gouging. I even turned around and went back to a station in a rural area in MO that was .20 cheaper than anything I saw elsewhere in the State and the clerk said they had just raised their price from 4.99 to 5.09 that morning.

I start looking for fuel when I’m getting close to half tank, watching prices and relatively easy access.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #91
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I filled up with after using 57 gallons. I stopped at a TA Truck Stop. TA Price at the pump was $298.99. Using the TSD Open Roads card I save $42.42.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2022, 03:22 AM   #92

I have noticed that some gas stations are limiting fuel purchases to $125. To fill your tank you have to put the card back in and start another transaction. Very annoying.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #93

Shortage of diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I have noticed that some gas stations are limiting fuel purchases to $125. To fill your tank you have to put the card back in and start another transaction. Very annoying.

That’s always been an issue using Debit cards. Sometimes just $75 or $100. They claim it’s the bank but funny how it varies from station to station.

I’ll use my card twice then the wife’s card for the rest. As my card won’t work 3 times in a row at the same pump.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:12 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
That’s always been an issue using Debit cards. Sometimes just $75 or $100. They claim it’s the bank but funny how it varies from station to station.

I’ll use my card twice then the wife’s card for the rest. As my card won’t work 3 times in a row at the same pump.
We have two cards we use for fuel. We alternated the card we start with. If it takes more than one swipe, we use the first card again, but if it takes a third swipe, we use the other card. So far we have never had to swipe for than three times. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #95

Shortage of diesel fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I filled up with after using 57 gallons. I stopped at a TA Truck Stop. TA Price at the pump was $298.99. Using the TSD Open Roads card I save $42.42.

So, if my math is correct, with the TSD discount you only paid $4.50 per gallon? :math edit
Old 05-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We just finished a 2 week, 3K mile trip from Calgary AB area to northern AZ and back, crossing Montana, Idaho, Utah, and dipping into Arizona.

Cheapest diesel was $5.15, which I filled up 3 times. Most expensive was $5.30. I use the free GasBuddy app on my phone to find cheap diesel (people record the prices at the different gas stations into the app for all to see). This works really well in larger centres, GasBuddy is your friend.

For the credit-card issue, usually if you take your card inside to the cashier they can pre-approve it for the full anticipated amount so you don't have to swipe it multiple times, etc.

I had zero issues using one Canadian mastercard for all my fuel on this trip, sometimes swiping up to 4 times, sometimes taking it inside for pre-approval.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #97
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Card limits are set by the station or its owner. I have had 75, 125, 150, and none. I
always use the same card at the pump.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #98

With the value of money I will put close to $100 of gasoline in my little Seadoo. 18 gallon tank times $5. It only has 1/2 gallon of gas in it right now....ugh
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel