Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 07:14 PM   #1

Shortage of diesel fuel

I知 leaving 4 June from North Carolina to Yellowstone for 6 weeks. I have a 3500 GMC dually that gets a little more than 10 miles to the gallon. DW is concerned that there may be a diesel shortage. I have a 100gal auxiliary tank and I知 not to worried but DW is. I was just reading tonight about a diesel shortage on the east coast maybe this summer. I had budgeted $4 bucks a gallon for diesel, that gone. I brought some cheap diesel a few days ago, whoever thought cheap diesel would be $5.25 a gallon
spock12 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This will be a good question going forward. There have been a few reports of shortages but whether it will be wide spread no on knows (wish I did).

My sister works for a small privately held manufacturing company in Northern Wisconsin, they run their own delivery trucks. I talked to her today and the fuel supplier told them that there may be shortages this summer. Who knows.

Time will tell.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2022, 09:43 PM   #3

Just returned from a 630 mile trip in my diesel dually. No shortage of diesel I could see. Price? Anywhere from $5.30 to $5.60 a gallon! I'm thinking with prices like that, people (including me) will be driving less so there should be more supply for those who can afford to drive at those prices.

Which may be going up. [mod edit]
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Just returned from a 630 mile trip in my diesel dually. No shortage of diesel I could see. Price? Anywhere from $5.30 to $5.60 a gallon! I'm thinking with prices like that, people (including me) will be driving less so there should be more supply for those who can afford to drive at those prices.

Which may be going up. [Mod Edit]
People read and understand whatever they want on this. From what I know, oil companies HAD drilling rights but refused to drill or start new projects. It was better for the bottom line (their investors) to keep the status quo and artificially reduce supply. This is no different than OPEC has been doing for decades.

Punishment to oil companies is they're no longer granted drilling rights. I am no expert but this is how I understood it.

87 Octane was 1.99$/l CDN to 2.16$/l, and diesel was 2.56$/l CDN at the stations I saw today. MUCH worse than you see. I can only imagine the prices in Europe, where they've been paying those prices for decades.

I'm not convinced on any bonafide shortages, but I can see the oil czars making it look like there are.

It's over 530$ to fill my dually these days, so I do it on 50-60$ shots as needed since I drive very little and use the new ebike more and more.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock12 View Post
I知 leaving 4 June from North Carolina to Yellowstone for 6 weeks. I have a 3500 GMC dually that gets a little more than 10 miles to the gallon. DW is concerned that there may be a diesel shortage. I have a 100gal auxiliary tank and I知 not to worried but DW is. I was just reading tonight about a diesel shortage on the east coast maybe this summer. I had budgeted $4 bucks a gallon for diesel, that gone. I brought some cheap diesel a few days ago, whoever thought cheap diesel would be $5.25 a gallon

We live in Arizona and so far we don't see any shortages.

You might want to check Gas Buddy. Com for diesel prices along your intended route. We use it a lot while traveling.
Hollardawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in August of 2005 hurricane Katrina hit.

We were half way across the country on a three month trip. All the news channels said the refineries, etc were all destroyed and you wouldn't be able to buy gasoline.

We decided to keep on going and guess what....gas was never a problem.

I suspect you'll be just fine. The media likes to stir things up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have not seen or heard of any shortages, just high fuel prices. With the 100-gallon auxiliary tank, I would not worry much about finding fuel. I would start planning a fuel stop once I was down to the auxiliary tank being close to empty and still have the main tank full. This will still provide you with a pretty good range.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post

I'm not convinced on any bonafide shortages, but I can see the oil czars making it look like there are.
...yep. With a 100 gall auxillary tank, if I was the OP, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Dave
Old 05-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #9

I just drove from Florida to Pennsylvania. I saw diesel prices from $5.49 to $5.99. I did not see any bags on the diesel pumps when I stopped to get gasoline. But this could change I guess. And this was driving thru eastern states and not western states.

Good Luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #10

Diesel is 2.55$ and up/l in Quebec. That works out to 7.45$ per U.S. gallon once exchange rate is factored in. add 2% for credit card fees (exchange fee) on top of that.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #11

Already has happened. There where some truck stops closed due to not being able to get fuel end of last fall in Ohio and Indiana. Buddy has a trucking company up there and was not happy. Can稚 spend all day looking for truck stops with fuel especially running doubles. A rv or truck it sucks but easy enough to jump to the next.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #12

As far as I know it's only a northern east coast thing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
I'm thinking with prices like that, people (including me) will be driving less so there should be more supply for those who can afford to drive at those prices.

I could be wrong but I doubt the amount of diesel used by ordinary consumers is more than a drop in the bucket compared to the trucking and farming industries.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2022, 02:38 PM   #14

My brother and I were talking about all the Semi's on the highways. There were lines of semi's on my trip. If there is a Semi Driver shortage we don't see it.

My guess is like the previous post that I saw 200 Semi's to every RV I saw. This was over a round trip of 1,900 highway miles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
diesel, fuel