Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Slider or non slider?

I have a 2020 Silverado 3500 shortbox. Looking at a 5th wheel, I was thinking of using the Pullrite (similar to the Anderson) The dealer is telling me I need a slider there wouldn't be enough clearance with the short bed. As I understand it there needs to be 48 inches (Half the trailer width) of clearance from the center of gooseball to the cab. I have 45 inches, the hitch can give up to 8 more inches for a total of 53. The front cap of the 5th is designed for maximum turning radius on short bed trucks. It seems to me I should be OK without a slider or am I missing something?
keg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #2

I have no experience with a short bed truck but I do know that the 2020 GM trucks with the factory puck system plus the right 5th wheel should be ok.

I say this because the hitch center is 2" behind the rear axle plus a lot of 5th wheels have a front cap designed to be towed with a short bed truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #3

Get a slider. I towed for 2 years with my Ram 3500 short bed. I used my slider 2 times. I would not have been able to get into the campground/ site without it. As far as running 2 inches behind the axle on a hitch, you will have to weight your truck and trailer with your hitch on center of the axle and behind the axle to insure your axle weight is correct. If not you will get chucking.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #4

The new 2020 gm trucks are not like a Ford or Dodge/Ram .
The short beds are longer plus GM short beds have always had a longer C/A (cab to the trucks rear axle) that gave them more cab clearance than the Ram or Ford.

For 2020 GM trucks C/A has even a longer distance.
Now throw in the off set adapter from PullRite plus most new trailer have a rounded/notched front corners made for short bed towing.

Looks like you did good on your homework...so enjoy the PullRite Super Lite with the new 5er made for short bed trucks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg44 View Post
I have a 2020 Silverado 3500 shortbox. Looking at a 5th wheel, I was thinking of using the Pullrite (similar to the Anderson) The dealer is telling me I need a slider there wouldn't be enough clearance with the short bed. As I understand it there needs to be 48 inches (Half the trailer width) of clearance from the center of gooseball to the cab. I have 45 inches, the hitch can give up to 8 more inches for a total of 53. The front cap of the 5th is designed for maximum turning radius on short bed trucks. It seems to me I should be OK without a slider or am I missing something?
Let us know when you hit the cab and break the rear window?

I had a Chevy short bed and did that, I was some what new at the time and forgot to extend the slider hitch. One second the window was there and the next it was gone with a dent in the cab of the truck.

I now pull with an auto slider a Demco Glide hitch in my truck.

There are two type of people who pull with a short bed truck and a 5er without a slider hitch. Those that have hit the truck and those that will!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

I had a Chevy short bed and did that, I was some what new at the time and forgot to extend the slider hitch. One second the window was there and the next it was gone with a dent in the cab of the truck.

There are two type of people who pull with a short bed truck and a 5er without a slider hitch. Those that have hit the truck and those that will!
What he said^^^^^

Better safe than sorry.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
There are also the third kind.
I like many others towed our 5th wheel trailers with short bed trucks for years before the hitch industry gave us a sliding hitch. No broken back glass for the third bunch.

Today we have several options going that eliminates the need for a sliding hitch in a short bed truck
I use a manual slider with my short bed Dodge. My 5er is a old '97 flat front profile and square corners unit. However in the 27 years I've owned the combo its rare I "HAVE" to use it.
Much of the time when I hit the campground or when I'm back home I flip the lever and let it slide 10" back which puts the pin 10" behind the rear axle. Doing so eliminates lots of steering input especially while backing.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

OK, then I have another question, when is the most likely time that I will break the rear window? driving on the freeway, curvy and hilly back roads, city streets, backing it into a campsite?
what is the minimum clearance needed between the cab and the hitch point(8ft wide trailer) Why would I ever need to be at 90 degrees to the trailer? I am new to this so still learning.
keg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
OK, then I have another question, when is the most likely time that I will break the rear window? driving on the freeway, curvy and hilly back roads, city streets, backing it into a campsite?
Probably while backing in tight situations especially (example) if your backing the trailer up a steep grade while the truck is on level ground. The gap closes more so than if both were on the same level.

I've never heard of a one number for a minimum gap for all truck/trailer combos. Factors already mentioned ie; rounded/notched corners....hitch location in the bed/etc.

90 degrees ?? Some folks may not ever have a need for a 90 degree maneuver. Others may have need to back into a 90 degree situation such as a 2-3 point turn getting out of a dead end situation.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

You will need the clearance when manuvering into a campsite or just driving in a campground. Both times I had to slide my hitch was turning off the road onto the campground road and swinging from the campground road into a pull through site. There has been 2 or 3 times I have had my 5th wheel past 75 degrees getting in to campgrounds. I have a 8 foot bed now so no issues. My 5th wheel is 41 foot long. A shorter 5th wheel maybe less of a issue swinging that hard.

From e trailer for 5th wheel clearance.

To determine the necessary clearance between the rear of the truck cab and the front of the trailer loft, use the formula below to ensure there will be enough space between your truck cab and trailer when executing a 90-degree turn. The distance from the center of the king pin to the truck cab should be 4 inches longer than half the width of the trailer to safely execute a 90 degree turn

(A + B) - C = Clearance
A = Distance from center of fifth wheel hitch jaw to truck cab
B = Length of kingpin extender
C = Width of trailer divided by 2 (to get half)

Regardless of your wheelbase, when installing a fifth wheel hitch on a truck, the king pin and fifth wheel will always be centered over the rear axle or slightly forward of the rear axle.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:48 AM   #11

With a Pullrite auto slider you never have to pull a lever.........they just work.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 AM   #12

I have been towing with a short bed / non sliding hitch for years. I've never wished for a sliding hitch. I know I would never bother to screw with a manual slider if I had one. I would say you either go auto slider or risk the chance of denting your cab corner or breaking a window. If it happens it will be backing up or turning very sharp as in making a u turn. In my mind the risk of hitting my cab is extremely low.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

Be careful getting to far into measuring and assuming you're okay. As some have mentioned, uneven ground can cause big problems. Imagine your turned at a pretty steep angle compared to your trailer. If the far away side of the trailer is on high ground it tilts the whole 5th cap and it can go into your truck and/or window. Every year there are a handful of people posting pictures of busted cab windows who measured and can't understand what went wrong.

All that being said, I have a manual slider and have never needed it while out on the road. Backing up is when it would most likely be needed. With my setup I don't think mine would hit going forward even with my steering wheel at full lock to one side.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:37 PM   #14

How much clearance is there with the new 2020 GM shortbed HD trucks? The bed is longer and the pin is set 2" behind the axle.

One thing that happens is you really can not judge how close you are to breaking the rear window. You don't have a good angle to judge it correctly.

I would do the math and try to figure out how much the 2020 GM shortbed HD trucks gain vs the old truck then vs a truck with an 8' bed, plus the new caps on many of the 5th wheels.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide