Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
This is a good point the avg newbie would think about.
...Wouldn’t think about...
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
a place 4-5 days at a time. Towing with a new F250 (with tt could stay in a properly configured half ton). In either case the best hitches, wd and otherwise, will be used.

Cost not being a factor ...The 5th Wheel.

BUT ... you are moving quite often and you don't give much info as to how many people are traveling with you.

So ... I would look for something even smaller, so you can fit in National Parks and ease of travel.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by morleyz View Post
My opinion is based purely on your TV. You didn't say if you have a 6.2 or 6.7. If you have a 6.7, you'll be pushing the payload on the F250 (The 6.2 averages about 1000lbs more payload). I haven't seen a yellow sticker on a 6.7 F250 with a payload much over 2100lbs. 1400lbs average pin weight according to GD (meaning it will be more when you put stuff in it), 100lbs for the hitch, 300lbs for two passengers and you're right there at the max with nothing else in the truck. Some will say you can throw some air bags on and you'll be fine, but finding a 5er that doesn't exceed an F250's payload when loaded up for camping is tough.

On that size TT with a WDH and sway control, you will hardly notice it back there. I've been towing a 8000lbs Jayco White Hawk 33' trailer and when I traded in my 1/2 ton on the '17 F250 I'm in now, towing is a dream.
Just saw your other thread and see you have the 6.2 (we have nearly the same truck). You'll be fine on payload over 3K. Don't let anyone tell you the 6.2 is a dog when towing.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Cost not being a factor ...The 5th Wheel.

BUT ... you are moving quite often and you don't give much info as to how many people are traveling with you.

So ... I would look for something even smaller, so you can fit in National Parks and ease of travel.
Cost isn’t a factor. We would buy a class A if we felt it was the best value and much better pick for what we want to do.

We don’t plan to move too much. We would go somewhere, stay 4-5 nights, go somewhere else for another 4-5 nights, etc, for a few weeks at a time. Maybe spend a winter month in Florida.

Tbh I do like the idea of staying small and more lean. I’ve been tempted by Grand Designs smaller Imagine trailers (2150RB) but hesitate to go without a formal dining table or dinette. However the F250 would easily yank that thing all over the US, up mountains, and into every park. For extra storage, I will have a cap on the truck bed so should be ok.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 04:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Guess you've never heard of roof racks. I see many 5er owners hauling long kayaks and canoes on the trucks. I haul two 10 footers my self. I've seen many with sea kayaks.
Only reason one needs the bed is for camping gear that won't fit in the TT or a golf cart or motorcycles. The idea that you have zero bed use with a 5th wheel is preposterous. I have over 4' of space between the 5th hitch and cab. Plus behind the 5th hitch.
I can remove my Andersen as fast as you can remove your WDH and spring bars and it's 100 lbs lighter than your WDH as well.
Sure I've heard of racks... whatta ya think I'm using now to haul 14' yaks in a 6 1/2' bed???

Of course you have space in the bed, but it's limited to height and access around that big ol' hitch.

Like I said it's all about what fits you best, everyone's got to decide for theirselves.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Guess you've never heard of roof racks. I see many 5er owners hauling long kayaks and canoes on the trucks. I haul two 10 footers my self. I've seen many with sea kayaks.
Only reason one needs the bed is for camping gear that won't fit in the TT or a golf cart or motorcycles. The idea that you have zero bed use with a 5th wheel is preposterous. I have over 4' of space between the 5th hitch and cab. Plus behind the 5th hitch.
I can remove my Andersen as fast as you can remove your WDH and spring bars and it's 100 lbs lighter than your WDH as well.
I have a 6.5ft bed, not the length Cumminsfan has but he is correct. Everything I have is in the 5th wheel. With a TT you'll need to put stuff in the bed while traveling because there simply isn't enough storage room.
My bed is still plenty useable, even with the SuperGlide hitch.
I've towed many trailers and a fifth wheel is the way to go, both storage and towing comfort.
Pulled our 35 footer in 40 mph winds and it was no problem.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:35 AM   #21

Went to the dealer against yesterday to have a second look at the two units. Sales dude was busy doing a delivery so he gave us the keys and said have at it....wife LOVED the Winnebago Vista class A!

Not a clue which way we’ll go now. I think we did rule out the Grand Design 295 5er because the “hall” from the steps, by bath, to foot of the bed area is too cramped and not enough room for our lab to sleep at night. TT allow a lot more space there. With only wife, me, and the dog the 295 also seemed way more than we need.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Softail View Post
With a TT you'll need to put stuff in the bed while traveling because there simply isn't enough storage room.
Maybe you like carrying a lot more than we do, but I have never put anything in my truck and I have plenty of unused storage in my TT. It definitely doesn't have the massive basement that 5'ers do, but I wouldn't rule out an entire class of trailer because of that.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #23

With my TT I don't have to put anything in the bed as it will all fit in the trailer just fine. I do put stuff in the bed simply because it's convenient. But if it's raining I put it in the trailer.

Chairs, table, smoker, firewood, generator, etc. It will all fit in the trailer. And we have a bunk model so all my kids stuff is in there as well and it's not a large trailer.

I guess if we do bring bikes I do put those in the bed as I don't have a hitch on the trailer to use for a bike rack.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #24

Quote:

33’ 5er / 30’ behind the truck / 10k# gvw / Grand Design 295RL
~or~
30’ TT / 30’ behind the truck / 7500# gvw / Grand Design 2500RL
Just curious where you are getting these lengths behind the truck? I'm not saying you're wrong but I compared with a friend and came up with pretty different results. My 35' 5th is about 2-3 feet less behind my truck than his 30' (ball to bumper) TT.

As for the 5th vs. TT the biggest factor to me is giving up my pickup bed. Many here demand that what works for them must work for you but it really is a personal preference/usage thing. There's no denying it's tougher to move some things with a 5th wheel. Of course, I've never tried to tie firewood to my roof rack so I guess I can't speak from experience
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Just curious where you are getting these lengths behind the truck? I'm not saying you're wrong but I compared with a friend and came up with pretty different results. My 35' 5th is about 2-3 feet less behind my truck than his 30' (ball to bumper) TT.

As for the 5th vs. TT the biggest factor to me is giving up my pickup bed. Many here demand that what works for them must work for you but it really is a personal preference/usage thing. There's no denying it's tougher to move some things with a 5th wheel. Of course, I've never tried to tie firewood to my roof rack so I guess I can't speak from experience
The 5er length is 33’. 33-3=30
The TT length is 30’