Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #1

Small 5er or 30’ TT, help me pick

I figger I know where this will end but I expect I’ll learn something from any feedback.

Seeing the USA (and every minor league ballpark and microbrewery in between) a few weeks at a time, staying in a place 4-5 days at a time. Towing with a new F250 (with tt could stay in a properly configured half ton). In either case the best hitches, wd and otherwise, will be used.

Which rig would you rather be on the road with?

33’ 5er / 30’ behind the truck / 10k# gvw / Grand Design 295RL
~or~
30’ TT / 30’ behind the truck / 7500# gvw / Grand Design 2500RL

Thanks!

(Have a similar thread in the General section. Posted here cause this question is more pull along focused)
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
I would go fifth wheel. Towing is more stable particularly in crosswinds. Hookup easier with no WD hitch to deal with. More living space foot for foot. They do back differently so there is a learning curve if you are used to bumper pulls. You also need more payload capacity as you have more pin weight in bed than tongue weight w bumper pull. Lastly - you could drop down to a 30' 5er (27RL or 26RL) and still end up w more living space.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post

~or~
Doesn't matter as far as towing it, assuming a ProPride hitch on the TT. With a less-expensive hitch for the TT, the 5er will tow better so it would be a hands-down winner.

The Reflection 150 5er is about 31' inside length. The Imagine TT is about 25' inside length. The 5er has two big slides and the TT has one. So the 33' 5er will have a lot more room inside than the 30' TT. But if the TT is roomy enough for you, then so what?

Significant difference in hitch weight. If the 5er has the normal 20% pin weight, that's a max pin weight of about 2,000 pounds. If the TT has the normal 13% hitch weight, that's less than 1,000 pounds tongue weight. The ProPride hitch and a good 5er hitch weigh about the same, so that's a wash. But you need more truck to tow the 5er than the TT because of that extra 1,000 pounds of hitch weight.

I've towed a 5er about 100,000 miles over 10 years, and a TT with a ProPride hitch about 20,000 miles in the last few years. So don't even try to convince me that a 5er tows better than a TT with a ProPride hitch. Just as good, but not better. And yeah, there is a subtle difference in backing a 5er into a tight space compared to backing a TT into that same space. But any competent driver can easily master the differences with a little practice on an empty shopping center parking lot.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

I'd take the 295 over the 2500 anyday. More storage inside and out. More open livable feeling inside.
With that being said be careful when looking at GD 150 5th wheels. Most of the models have really low cargo capacity. With you traveling style you'll max out the payload capacity in the 295.
New 2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 295RL Fifth Wheel at Trailer Hitch RV | Nipomo, CA | #7668
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
With that being said be careful when looking at GD 150 5th wheels. Most of the models have really low cargo capacity.
The GD Reflection 150 295RL has CCC of about 1,500 pounds. That should be plenty for a family vacation, but not nearly enough for a full-timer.

GD calls that 5er "half ton towable", but with max pin weight of about 2,000 pounds there are very few half-ton pickups that can tow it without exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the pickup. It would even overload a lot of older F-250s. My '99.5 F-250 was slightly overloaded with my 5er that grossed 9,000 pounds. Of course that was back in the day before 2005 when the F-250 had GVWR of 8,800 pounds.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #6

The deciding factor for me is... "Am I ready to give up my truck's bed yet?"

I'm not. Friends with 5er were always calling me wanting me to haul something to camp for them because he couldn't carry it with his rig taught me I didn't want a 5er.

I'm not through hauling Kayaks and Canoes with me to fish from camp yet. The day I don't need to haul anything I'll be pulling a 5er too and that will mean I'll need to get back into a long bed again.

All types of RV's have their pros and cons, you just have to prioritize what you want out of the RVing experience and pick what suits you best.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Excellent responses! Thanks!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM   #8

Went from a 30 foot COUGAR TT pulled by a 2500 Suburban. Was moderately happy with the way it towed. - expensive and heavy Reese WD Hitch with anti-sway. (6.5 diesel POC engine)

(Then to a 20 foot LANCE - in the mistaken belief that smaller is better - NOT). Pulled by F150 (5.4 l POC gas engine)

Now have a Chaparral Lite 30RLS [34 feet long] . The towing difference is dramatic .... much more stable and MUCH quicker and easier to hook up / etc. (now have a F250 6.7 - great truck and engine - not so happy with the emission crap - has cost $$ to maintain).

SO my answer is 5th wheel every time.

CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The GD Reflection 150 295RL has CCC of about 1,500 pounds. That should be plenty for a family vacation, but not nearly enough for a full-timer.

GD calls that 5er "half ton towable", but with max pin weight of about 2,000 pounds there are very few half-ton pickups that can tow it without exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the pickup. It would even overload a lot of older F-250s. My '99.5 F-250 was slightly overloaded with my 5er that grossed 9,000 pounds. Of course that was back in the day before 2005 when the F-250 had GVWR of 8,800 pounds.
No it doesn't. Go to the website I linked. Trailer Hitch RV posts the delivered sticker weight pics as well as the UVW of all their Grand Design units in stock.
Every one of the 295's are in the 1100-1200 lb range for CCC.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
The deciding factor for me is... "Am I ready to give up my truck's bed yet?"

I'm not. Friends with 5er were always calling me wanting me to haul something to camp for them because he couldn't carry it with his rig taught me I didn't want a 5er.

I'm not through hauling Kayaks and Canoes with me to fish from camp yet. The day I don't need to haul anything I'll be pulling a 5er too and that will mean I'll need to get back into a long bed again.

All types of RV's have their pros and cons, you just have to prioritize what you want out of the RVing experience and pick what suits you best.
Guess you've never heard of roof racks. I see many 5er owners hauling long kayaks and canoes on the trucks. I haul two 10 footers my self. I've seen many with sea kayaks.
Only reason one needs the bed is for camping gear that won't fit in the TT or a golf cart or motorcycles. The idea that you have zero bed use with a 5th wheel is preposterous. I have over 4' of space between the 5th hitch and cab. Plus behind the 5th hitch.
I can remove my Andersen as fast as you can remove your WDH and spring bars and it's 100 lbs lighter than your WDH as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
No it doesn't. Go to the website I linked. Trailer Hitch RV posts the delivered sticker weight pics as well as the UVW of all their Grand Design units in stock.
Every one of the 295's are in the 1100-1200 lb range for CCC.
This is a good point the avg newbie would think about.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
I figger I know where this will end but I expect I’ll learn something from any feedback.

Seeing the USA (and every minor league ballpark and microbrewery in between) a few weeks at a time, staying in a place 4-5 days at a time. Towing with a new F250 (with tt could stay in a properly configured half ton). In either case the best hitches, wd and otherwise, will be used.

~or~

Thanks!

(Have a similar thread in the General section. Posted here cause this question is more pull along focused)
5th wheel hands down
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #13

You can make either one work. I would pick 5th wheel becuase in my mind they are built a little bit better. Walking around in one they feel a bit more solid.

On a 5th wheel you stand up to hook up. On a TT you are bending over or on the ground when hooking / unhooking. Hooking a 5th wheel I do not use the back-up camera. Hooking a TT I do.

With a TT you can put a cap on the truck and have a ton of covered storage. On a 5th wheel you have enough storage in the 'Basement'.

I would go smaller than you are thinking. It will make travel easier and probably not less comfortable.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

My opinion is based purely on your TV. You didn't say if you have a 6.2 or 6.7. If you have a 6.7, you'll be pushing the payload on the F250 (The 6.2 averages about 1000lbs more payload). I haven't seen a yellow sticker on a 6.7 F250 with a payload much over 2100lbs. 1400lbs average pin weight according to GD (meaning it will be more when you put stuff in it), 100lbs for the hitch, 300lbs for two passengers and you're right there at the max with nothing else in the truck. Some will say you can throw some air bags on and you'll be fine, but finding a 5er that doesn't exceed an F250's payload when loaded up for camping is tough.

On that size TT with a WDH and sway control, you will hardly notice it back there. I've been towing a 8000lbs Jayco White Hawk 33' trailer and when I traded in my 1/2 ton on the '17 F250 I'm in now, towing is a dream.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote