Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

Smoother ride with supplemental air bags???

I have seen many posts claiming a smoother ride (even unloaded) after adding air bags to a 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or even a 1 ton dually. Now maybe I'm missing something here, and I readily admit to never attending a physics class. Since air bags only supplement the leaf springs and adding air raises the bed back up to where it was originally, thus overcoming the weight that pushed the bed down in the first place, how can that result in anything other than an overall stiffer rear suspension, thus making for a rougher ride? In my own experience adding air bags gave me a better ride but not a smoother ride. What I experienced was a smoother more controlled ride over large dips and going over some bridges, but certainly not an overall smoother ride. So can someone scientifically explain to me why I'm wrong? Usually not to hard to do
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

I would hazard a guess that " smoother ride with air bags " would depend on the rear spring set up .
My old Dodge , there was a set of overload springs , that sat clear of the brackets on the frame that had a plastic cushion to prevent metal to metal contact . Once loaded to point where the overload springs contacted the brackets , the rear suspension was almost solid. If the air bags would carry the load before the overload springs contacted the bracket ; then the ride would be smoother , but running empty I doubt then ride would be different.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
I have seen many posts claiming a smoother ride (even unloaded) after adding air bags to a 3/4 ton, 1 ton, or even a 1 ton dually. Now maybe I'm missing something here, and I readily admit to never attending a physics class. Since air bags only supplement the leaf springs and adding air raises the bed back up to where it was originally, thus overcoming the weight that pushed the bed down in the first place, how can that result in anything other than an overall stiffer rear suspension, thus making for a rougher ride? In my own experience adding air bags gave me a better ride but not a smoother ride. What I experienced was a smoother more controlled ride over large dips and going over some bridges, but certainly not an overall smoother ride. So can someone scientifically explain to me why I'm wrong? Usually not to hard to do

I've read up a bunch about this with respect to the Ford F53 gas motorhome chassis. The different systems are either in parallel or in series with the current suspension. In parallel won't help soften the ride at all. The in series systems definitely do but they are crazy expensive.

Relating it back to HD trucks, there are some full replacement air suspension kits available that look super nice. Kelderman is one that I've read about. It's a full replacement for stock rear suspension. If I ever buy a new HD truck I could really see going with something like that. I just can't see justifying the $$ on my current truck with nearly 100K miles.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Air is more forgiving than a piece of steel, my 2010 Dodge 2500 definitely rode smoother empty with some air in the bags and i have never had to justify what i bought. I buy what i want when i want it.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #5

Air bags can not be softer than the steel springs they supplement. With little or no air in them they are just along for the ride and you are actuality riding on your steel springs. If you add enough air to raise the bed even a millimeter then you are overpowering the steel springs and creating a stiffer overall spring...Placebo Effect?
Old 07-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

No because you are taking the load off of the springs.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post

You are right- on smooth roads there is no difference. Bags or no bags-smooth is smooth

On rough roads, uneven pavement, and bridges (where I seem to spend a considerable amount of time when traveling) the airbags definitely smooth things out. Takes a ton of bounce out of the ride, and this lessens chucking considerably. So yes, it ends up creating an overall stiffer suspension as you hypothesized, but that is exactly what is needed when running close to payload max. Just as an overload spring does not make for a rougher ride, airbags that are inflated under load don’t make a rougher ride either. Inflate with an empty bed? That’s another story.

My bags are basically empty and doing nothing when unloaded so I will agree I find no tangible value for them with no load. The airbags however replace the bump stops on the axle, so I imagine if people have trucks that can contact the bump stops occasionally they may find the airbags help smooth things out a lot with no load.

A standard truck suspension is basically designed to ride best with a certain weight. Zero adjustability. Air bags allow me to stiffen as needed to match my load.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
No because you are taking the load off of the springs.
But in order to take the load off the springs you have to have a stiffer spring. An air bag is just a spring that uses air pressure instead of steel.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #9

Redhooker, I agree with heavy pin weights such as yours the stiffer air bag will keep you from bottoming, just as I experienced myself on the dips and bridges. That is what airbags are designed to do, increase your load carrying ability (yea, yea, I know not "legally"). I suspose if the differential between the main spring pack rate and the overloads rate is substantial, and the air bags allow you to come in somewhere between the two rates, then you might be able to achieve a smoother under a heavy payload. I still don't think it's possible to get a smother ride running empty.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:46 AM   #10

I have a motorcycle that has air forks, no springs. The feel from those forks is quite different than a bike with springs. With the air forks you dont feel as much back through the handlebars as with springs. Air is a smoother ride hands down. Our DP MH with air ride was much smoother than our Class A with steel springs. I guess the only you will find out is to ride in both.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I have a motorcycle that has air forks, no springs. The feel from those forks is quite different than a bike with springs. With the air forks you dont feel as much back through the handlebars as with springs. Air is a smoother ride hands down. Our DP MH with air ride was much smoother than our Class A with steel springs. I guess the only you will find out is to ride in both.
No doubt that air springs can give a smoother ride than steel springs since air is infinitely adjustable while steel is either fixed or progressive. In your above mentioned examples the springs are air only, in this discussion we are talking about air springs that supplement steel springs. Two entirely different animals!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #12

I always love the air bag debate. Do they cover up a bleeding wound "need more truck" yes they do. But in the end after all things are said. Its a TRUCK. It will ride like a truck and act like a truck. Cant expect a mule to ride like a caddy. Hope the OP finds the ride he is hoping to acquire.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
I always love the air bag debate. Do they cover up a bleeding wound "need more truck" yes they do. But in the end after all things are said. Its a TRUCK. It will ride like a truck and act like a truck. Cant expect a mule to ride like a caddy. Hope the OP finds the ride he is hoping to acquire.
Guess I need to update my signature. I HAVE found the ride I desire, it a 2017 Chevy 3500 SRW High Country without air bags. By the way I was very happy with the ride of my 05 F250, but the new truck is even smoother! I started this thread simply because I keep seeing people asking if air bags will give them a smoother ride or claiming that their truck rides smoother with bags even while empty which to me defies logic. I would like to avoid the age old debate about legality, as it is inconsequential to this discussion! Thank you for your parcipitation.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Airbags prevent the suspension from bottoming out.

Tags
air