Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 02:56 PM   #15

I would suggest checking out the specific ratings that apply to your vehicle. They are available from your dealer. Talk to someone who is knowledgeable because most are not. Asking others for their advice is not the way to get the correct info. Some on this site have the info you need but do your homework.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the great replies. some really good information. Just a point of clarification.The light 'off road' stuff I was talking about was not overlanding but the ability to get to the typical NF campgrounds that you see maybe 1/2 mile off the highway or BLM stuff but nothing crazy. I have a Jeep JK Wrangler for that.
Thanks again
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:31 AM   #17

I assume you are referring to the typical “boondocking” or “dispersed camping” on BLM land. Here in the west we have a huge amount of areas. We boondock quite a bit. Avoid 5th wheels or TT much longer than 25-30 ft. 5th wheels are too high to get through areas with low branches and anything much longer than 25 ft becomes too hard to maneuver in tight spots. As far as suspension, etc. just take your time and have a good set of tires with a couple of spares.
Tie or secure shut your cabinets or else all of your pots, pans and dishes will end up on the floor. Cornell makes almost unbreakable bowls and plates.
Also, a 4wd is almost a must with at tires. When it rains you need it to get out but some places you will still be stuck until it dries out.
Solar is the best thing ever! You get to enjoy nature without the noise of your generator. We still bring it along if needed for ac. We have the 400 watt Renogy system.
Also, Weboost Drive Reach is a godsend if you have teenagers. Installed the trucker antenna on the exterior and bigger antenna on the interior. We have T-Mobile and it made all the difference last year when we were mostly boondocking over the western us for six weeks.
Just a few suggestions if you plan on doing a lot of boondocking to make your life easier.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Good information thanks. Yes, that is the kind of use we plan to do. I have a lot of more serious off road experience but that is with a 2 dr Wrangler with upgrades and a winch. Our F150 we would pull the TT with has the FX4 package.
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm on the fence about buying a Airstream Base Camp X with lift kit for just what you are talking about. They have tent package that increases space that uses air to to deploy. It would be great for boondocking in Colorado up in the mountains on forest roads. The only negative I can see is price but you have a lot of priceless fun. I'm thinking a Jeep Gladator as a tow vehicle.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #20

Wow! Are those airstreams expensive! Starting price close to $50,000! Love the looks and functionally of them though. Mercedes of travel trailers.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing