Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
So what can I pull with our 2020 F150 3.5l Ecoboost with HD towing package

Looking to 'downsize' from our 30ft gas Class A. We have a 2020 F150 3.5L Ecoboost CrewCab 5ft bed 4x4 with HD tow package.
I'm looking for a bumper pull that I can do light offroading with like National Forest campgrounds. I've been looking at Forest River No Boundaries and other similar trailers but need some advice on what max weight I can comfortably pull without extensive truck upgrades. It's just my wife and I so we are looking at smaller rather than larger but would like 1 slide for extra interior room.
Any advice on what weight I should be looking at?
Thanks
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 04:24 AM   #2

I towed a total length 26.5' travel trailer that weighed loaded 5,500lbs. I towed it very comfortably with a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre. Knowing how it towed I would go heavier, maybe to 6,500lbs and 28' total length.

Humm - that is if I stayed in concrete. To off road camp, where I might be in sand, soft dirt, or mud, or slippery rocks I would want something much much lighter. Maybe an Expidition A-Liner. It is not easy to tow off road without getting stuck. I would want a F-150 with the FX-4 package.

To take a trailer off road I would look at the smallest NoBoundies and maybe a small Keystone Cougar with the factory installed 'Off the Grid' (OTG) package.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:59 AM   #3

As a Cougar 1/2 ton owner, wouldn’t think it (or any 1/2 ton / ultra light) would be best option for going off road. The Keystone OTG package provides solar or solar prep, nothing that beefs up the unit in any way to make it more usable for off road.

As far as what you can tow, you are limited primarily by your truck’s specific payload. What does the yellow/white door sticker state? Take 13% of the trailer’s GVWR, 100 lbs for a hitch, the weight of you and all occupants that will be camping and all gear in the truck. Compare this to the sticker payload.

Sounds like you are looking small, you should be able to find plenty of beefier designs that fit the bill and keep you from being overloaded.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #4

My 24ft TT is 7500lb fully loaded with a heavily modified chassis and it’s setup for prolonged boondocking. I can get places other trailers my size can’t. I’ve had it all over the west.

My truck is a 3.5 EB SC FX4. If it rains heavily, you’re stuck until things dry out. I have slightly aggressive LT tires and a 1200lb Equilizer hitch which has good ground clearance which to me is important.

But I dumped a lot of money in it and I have lots of experience because I lived in it for over four years with much of that time mostly boondocking until the rangers caught me.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

Agree if it rains you are stuck. I got stuck when it was wet... not fun. Anything that is wet gets slippery. Rocks, tree roots, grass etc. All much more slippery when wet.

Maybe it is just me, but towing 7,500lbs. off road is sketchy. Having an FX-4 has to be a big advantage.

I think the Keystone Cougar can have an 'Off Road' package also...but not sure if it is still offered.

Again, for off road I am thinking a Cricket, A-Liner Expidetion, Airstream Basecamp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #6

Personally I wouldn’t go over 6,000 lbs, and no longer than a 20’ box. Once we hit forest service roads the WDH comes off for better traction, and better ride. Have higher rated springs on the truck so sagging isn’t an issue.

Your overall length, especially with a slide out will be your biggest factor with being able to fit in a spot, and maneuver around trees so the slide can go out. Ours has a very deep slide, so it makes it more difficult.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a trailer right around 5,000 and 25' with that exact truck, including over short dirt/sand runs. Never gave us any problems. The only surprise was that it cut the mileage to less than half what it got without it. I expected a drop, but was surprised that towing it over relatively flat terrain caused such a large drop in mileage.

We actually had two of these trucks with the 3.5 Eco Boost that we towed with. The first we added some air bags and the second we didn't. The airbags worked as advertised, but they gave the truck a harsh ride, even when not towing and fully deflated (down to 5 lbs or so). We skipped them on our second truck and were happier with the ride all around.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #8

Doesn't the trailer get beat up when you take it off road? I lived were there were a few logging roads with deep ruts. I drove my truck on these roads but I would never pull a trailer up some of those roads.

Off road must mean something else than here in the East. Lots of mud and rocks and ruts.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #9

I would look at these https://www.blackseriescamper.com/
for off grid/road camping.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #10

I'd stick around 6,000 lbs (loaded) and 25' (bumper to hitch). Black Series is nice if you're on an unlimited budget....My ORV is built better than most for light off pavement hauling but they don't make anything light enough though some have used 1/2 tons on the lighest Creekside units......I wouldn't.

Dave
Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #11

Big difference between logging roads and forest service roads which the OP is referring to. (Light off road).

See all models of trailers when we are in more remote areas.

Keeping your speed down is really important when it comes to not tearing up your trailer. 25 mph is the max for us, if I see someone coming up I just pull over to the side and let them go by. These conditions aren’t any worse than traveling on paved roads that are in desperate need of repairs, at high speeds.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #12

Sounds like a regular travel travel trailer would work. I was thinking what I know as off road with rocks and ruts.

I keep thinking a Keystone Cougar with the Off the Grid Package. That plus a portable generator. I think the OTG package includes a few outlets that will have power without running a generator. Outlets to charge a phone or laptop - probably not to plug a micro wave into.

Be careful - I do not think you would want a 12v refrigerator. You will want a propane/gas refrigerator.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #13

Clarification. I mentioned my trailer is 7500lb. What I forgot to state is that I folded my frame doing silly stuff. It’s now heavily reinforced and braced and has 5100lb axles. As far as the F150 is concerned it’s surprised me how competent it is.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #14

Here is off the grid info from the Keystone Cougar brochure. They show a c-pap machine in the bedroom, a coffee maker in the kitchen, a TV in the living room. Not sure you can run everything at once...i kinda doubt it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_165145.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	336559

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app

Tags
tow, towing