Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #15

10 miles...1000 miles or more
Overloaded is overloaded

Your truck & that trailer....marginal at best
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #16

My experience in towing with a half ton you should be fine with that set up. There are more then a few people towing that load and much heavier
bst24351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by machz View Post
Sorry, when I said online I meant the trailer. The 1648 was from my door.
Nice! That's a pretty impressive payload from a 1500 Ram. I know some past years were REALLY low. Thinking you got in on the good side of a redesign. I think you should be fine if you watch your weights and get a good hitch setup.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #18

I was just going to say that is a low payload for a 150/1500 series truck. If I was going to buy a new 150/1500 series Ford or GM I think it is easy to find one with 1,900 to 2,100lb payload.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #19

Just an opinion, but I was towing a 7200 lb TT all over the Midwest with a short wheel base Tahoe. I didn't know any better...And of course the dealer said I'd be fine.

When I upgraded my trailer I also upgraded to a F350. Been in a few hairy situations (herd of deer on I70 being the most recent) with the new rig, probably would have ended in a disaster with the old.

You will probably be fine towing with that setup 98% of the time. You'll going to be right at payload capacity if you can keep it under. Question is do you want to upgrade your TV or downsize your trailer for the one time you might be in a sticky situation where you have to panic stop or maneuver.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I was just going to say that is a low payload for a 150/1500 series truck. If I was going to buy a new 150/1500 series Ford or GM I think it is easy to find one with 1,900 to 2,100lb payload.
I'm a HD owner so I don't really worry too much about the 1500s other than hanging out on a Ram forum where there is a lot of discussion. Up until a couple years ago it seems like you couldn't find a Ram with more than 1500# payload. Thankfully, they made some changes. Like I referenced in a previous post, a buddy had a decked out 1500 with 1070# payload. Absolutely pitiful for something that is supposed to be a truck. Ironically, on the same camping trip I broke the bad news of carrying ability to that buddy, while trying to educate him, we referenced a sticker on a Subaru Forester that had a 960# payload!!
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote