Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

SRW or DRW F-350 for Full Time Living?

Hello Everyone,

After many painstaking hours of research, more research and contemplation on the matter, I have concluded that I need to upgrade my truck. We will be full timing for approximately four years, possibly five if I take a year off after retiring and we travel the country. I now have a 2017 F-250 Diesel CC short bed with a pin weight limit of 2,325 lbs. I have looked at two new F-350 SRW CC Diesel long beds with a pin weight limit of 3,291 pounds and 3,203 pounds respectably. We have not settled on a fifth wheel yet as the pin weight factor has eliminated numerous ones that I like but can't pull with my current rig. Three RV shows are coming up between Jan.-Apr. 2018 that we are hoping to make our purchase at. With that said, I would appreciate any advice you can give in answering the following questions.

1. Is the SRW F-350 Diesel long bed a sufficient size truck for pulling most fifth wheels in the 37'-40' range? My Wife and I both would rather go with this option over the dually, but I am not wanting to repeat this blunder of purchasing too small of a truck again.
2. How much more can I expect to pay in registration fees on a dually compared to an SRW 350? I plan to keep my vehicles registered in Washington State while we venture down behind "enemy lines" in "communist controlled" California for my last tour on active duty.
3. Does anyone have "real life" MPG on the dually? I can't find anything online as to what they get.
4. Are the new F-350 dually's at all a practical choice for having other than towing a large fifth wheel with? Meaning, driving around in every so often and maybe even as an everyday driver?

Thank you again. I am planning to place a custom order on a new rig soon, so I appreciate any advice given.

Chris
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #2

Buy the dually. I drive my ram 3500 daily. Only cannot go through drive through bank lines (tried yesterday, almost made it.) Mileage is as follows: 55=23, 60= 21, 65=20, 70=19, 75=18, 80= 16.5. Mine is a 2wd. My insurance is higher but not that much. Honestly I don't know why you're worried about registration fees when you have a 17 F250 and already want to buy another truck. Gonna take a much larger hit on trade in than registration fees. Congratulations if you were able to pay cash for 2017 diesel. I drove a single wheel before. Doesn't compare to a dually.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. Itís not that I want to buy another truck but more like, I made a bad choice buying the 250. My saving grace is that I put a large down payment and I donít owe very much on it. Iím concerned about the registration because I donít know what to expect. I know in California, a new dually will easily cost you $600 plus a year to register. Itís ridiculous there. I donít know what it will cost me here in Washington though.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #4

My dually registration in Washington is $101 but my truck is old. Living with a dually in Washington is no problem. You park further out and avoid congested cities. It might be an issue as to where you will be in California. Towing a 40 ft. fiver you are going to want and/or possibly need a dually. There probably isn't a whole lot of functional difference between your F250 and F350 SRW. Remember, in Washington you will have to deal with sales tax on the new rig so choose wisely.

Thank you for your service.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #5

Thank you Sir for the info. Much helpful.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:27 AM   #6

You very seldom see people with duallys wanting to go to singles. More often you find people like yourself who are kicking themselves in the butt for not buying the dually in the first place. There really is no comparison. So much more stability with the dually especially when towing the larger rigs.

2WD or 4WD? Well that depends. We have a 2WD & are quite happy with it. It is used for RV trips only. It is not a daily driver. It has never really seen snow. It does not get taken offroading, other than the occasional maintained gravel road. We have only been stuck a few times. Most of those times we have gotten ourselves out. The few others we did not need much help but if we had 4WD we would have still been stuck. If the truck is going to be used as a daily driver & will be faced with snow occasionally then 4WD is a wise decision which won't be regretted.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #7

Ditto to the comments above - we had a similar situation. Started with an F250 and made the jump to a 4WD DRW F350 and haven’t regretted it once. More stable on the highway, no worries about pin weight (unless you’re looking the big DRVs) and it’s fine as a daily driver. Mileage depends on speed, winds and load, but I usually get around 9 towing our 5th. The 4WD has come in handy a few times getting into/out of muddy spots as well. Good luck in your search.

P.S. An 8’ bed is the only way to go, IMHO...
Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #8

Appreciate the feedback. The decision seems to be settled, a dually it is. Perhaps I will start a new thread with some questions on some of the options I can have built into a new one by custom building it.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris n Erin View Post
Perhaps I will start a new thread with some questions on some of the options I can have built into a new one by custom building it.
You said F-350 DRW, so the following applies to Ford and may not apply to other brands.

First, understand that Ford does not offer a shorty dually. 8' bed only. So if you were counting on a shorty dually you'll have to shop elsewhere.

Next, the F-350 DRW is a truck. And like any real truck, numerous options and trim levels are available. And it gets complicated. In order to get this, you have to order that. The 2017 SuperDuty Order Guide is 34 pages long, so I won't attempt to summarize it. Instead, I'd strongly advise you to go to a Ford dealer that sells lots of SuperDuty pickups and grab a copy of the SuperDuty brochure. Or perhaps go to ford.com and order or download the SuperDuty brochure.

Study that brochure until you are an expert on the ifs, ands and buts of ordering a SuperDuty pickup. If you want to minimize the cost, but still have a nice comfortable towing machine, you can do that with the bottom-of-the-line XL trim, plus a few necessary options. For example, I insist on cruise control, which is available as part of the XL Value Pkg. And I want power door locks/windows/seats, which are part of the power equipment pkg. And I hate plastic seats, so I'd op for the 40/20/40 cloth seats. Or you can get all the above by ordering the STX appearance pkg.

And the powertrain choice is important. Mine is going to have the PowerStroke diesel engine. And for a 37' full-timer 5er, I want the 3.55 axle, which requires the camper pkg or some other suspension enhancement.

Add the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kit, the fifth wheel hitch you can order from the dealer at less cost than from an aftermarket source, and the integrated trailer brake controller and you'd have my minimum specs for a new F-350 DRW.

But there are lots of other options available, so again, become an expert in what's available with what before you go to a Ford dealer to order your dually. For example, my DW insists on leather seats and a few other goodies, so my minimum configuration includes Lariat trim. I would be happy with the XL described above, but she wouldn't, and she's the boss.

And speaking of the dealership, don't talk to anyone except a manager. In a large dealership, find the fleet manager. If you get waylaid by a lot lizzard, simply explain "I've come to see the fleet manager". In a tiny dealership that doesn't have a fleet manager, talk to the dealer. If the small dealership is big enough to have a general sales manager, then he's your guy (or gal?).

First settle on the price as "X" over invoice + TT&L. A good price for an ordered vehicle that's not in a status of demand exceeds supply is $500 over invoice + TT&L. The "X" includes all dealer fees and charges, including dealer prep, inventory tax, or any other dealer cost they can dream up. I've never known of a time when demand for F-350 DRWs exceeded supply, other than the first few days after the new order guide is released for a new model year, so $500 over invoice plus TT&L should be the out-the-door price.

TT&L is fixed by the local state/government, not by the dealer. So there's no negotiating TT&L. Just be sure they don't add a dealer pack to the contract and try to pass it off as TT&L.

And don't agree to any dealer options such as paint protection (wax job), fabric protection (ScotchGard), undercoating, etc. Those are known as ADP (additional dealer profit) items and not worth the cost. If you want any of those items, take the truck to a good local detail shop.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Buy the dually. I drive my ram 3500 daily. Only cannot go through drive through bank lines (tried yesterday, almost made it.) Mileage is as follows: 55=23, 60= 21, 65=20, 70=19, 75=18, 80= 16.5. Mine is a 2wd. My insurance is higher but not that much. Honestly I don't know why you're worried about registration fees when you have a 17 F250 and already want to buy another truck. Gonna take a much larger hit on trade in than registration fees. Congratulations if you were able to pay cash for 2017 diesel. I drove a single wheel before. Doesn't compare to a dually.
You might want to clarify that the mileage numbers you posted are not towing heavy mileage numbers.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
You said F-350 DRW, so the following applies to Ford and may not apply to other brands.

First, understand that Ford does not offer a shorty dually. 8' bed only. So if you were counting on a shorty dually you'll have to shop elsewhere.

Next, the F-350 DRW is a truck. And like any real truck, numerous options and trim levels are available. And it gets complicated. In order to get this, you have to order that. The 2017 SuperDuty Order Guide is 34 pages long, so I won't attempt to summarize it. Instead, I'd strongly advise you to go to a Ford dealer that sells lots of SuperDuty pickups and grab a copy of the SuperDuty brochure. Or perhaps go to ford.com and order or download the SuperDuty brochure.

Study that brochure until you are an expert on the ifs, ands and buts of ordering a SuperDuty pickup. If you want to minimize the cost, but still have a nice comfortable towing machine, you can do that with the bottom-of-the-line XL trim, plus a few necessary options. For example, I insist on cruise control, which is available as part of the XL Value Pkg. And I want power door locks/windows/seats, which are part of the power equipment pkg. And I hate plastic seats, so I'd op for the 40/20/40 cloth seats. Or you can get all the above by ordering the STX appearance pkg.

And the powertrain choice is important. Mine is going to have the PowerStroke diesel engine. And for a 37' full-timer 5er, I want the 3.55 axle, which requires the camper pkg or some other suspension enhancement.

Add the fifth wheel/gooseneck prep kit, the fifth wheel hitch you can order from the dealer at less cost than from an aftermarket source, and the integrated trailer brake controller and you'd have my minimum specs for a new F-350 DRW.

But there are lots of other options available, so again, become an expert in what's available with what before you go to a Ford dealer to order your dually. For example, my DW insists on leather seats and a few other goodies, so my minimum configuration includes Lariat trim. I would be happy with the XL described above, but she wouldn't, and she's the boss.

And speaking of the dealership, don't talk to anyone except a manager. In a large dealership, find the fleet manager. If you get waylaid by a lot lizzard, simply explain "I've come to see the fleet manager". In a tiny dealership that doesn't have a fleet manager, talk to the dealer. If the small dealership is big enough to have a general sales manager, then he's your guy (or gal?).

First settle on the price as "X" over invoice + TT&L. A good price for an ordered vehicle that's not in a status of demand exceeds supply is $500 over invoice + TT&L. The "X" includes all dealer fees and charges, including dealer prep, inventory tax, or any other dealer cost they can dream up. I've never known of a time when demand for F-350 DRWs exceeded supply, other than the first few days after the new order guide is released for a new model year, so $500 over invoice plus TT&L should be the out-the-door price.

TT&L is fixed by the local state/government, not by the dealer. So there's no negotiating TT&L. Just be sure they don't add a dealer pack to the contract and try to pass it off as TT&L.

And don't agree to any dealer options such as paint protection (wax job), fabric protection (ScotchGard), undercoating, etc. Those are known as ADP (additional dealer profit) items and not worth the cost. If you want any of those items, take the truck to a good local detail shop.

Thanks Smokey. That is all very helpful.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Or, you can join the Mustang Club of America for $25. This gives you the benefit of getting the X-Plan. X-Plan pricing means the price is set. It is below invoice, you still get all rebates and can only be charged $100 for document fee. Go to the Ford site, order a Superduty brochure for your home address in your name. This usually will give you a $750 rebate to use. If you special order, you can lock in the rebates available then, and if they improve when truck comes in, you can change and use them.

If you go with X-Plan, you will only have to deal with trade in if you have one.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

That is interesting. I have never heard of the X-Plan. I will have to look into that. One of the salesmen I have worked with on this told me today itíd be ď$500 back on invoiceĒ. Can somebody clarify what this means? If Iím understanding it correctly, the dealership is charging $500 above what they pay? Is that correct? In comparison, this other Ford dealership near me had the nerve to tell me they start at $5,000 above invoice! Needless to say, you couldnít pay me to do business with those crooks!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #14

Sounds like he is saying $500 over invoice.

As far as X-Plan, if you work check with your company as they might be eligable for X-Plan. Banks, credit unions or if you ask around someone might have an extra X-Plan pin number they could give to you to use.

If you are interested, PM me and I can get you on the X-Plan site where you can build a truck to your specifications and see the price you would have to pay.
2002dura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time