Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #29

There ARE 2 450s available, but it is in the pickup form and the cab/chassis form. The 350 with the Max Tow package is still a 350, with 17" wheel/4.30 gears.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
There ARE 2 450s available, but it is in the pickup form and the cab/chassis form. The 350 with the Max Tow package is still a 350, with 17" wheel/4.30 gears.
Joe
I don't know anything about the 350 with a max tow package, that is not what I have. I guess it can be called that but there are several differences than the F350. All I know is it says 2015 F450 which is different than years past. Different wheels (19.5 forged aluminum), brakes (same as the F550 and above I think), different suspension, different frame, different rear end, different front end. I know there is a chassis only model but the F450 I have is not the same as the F350. 31,200 tow capacity, 14,000 GVWR, Rear GAWR of 9100, Front GAWR 5940 and a GCWR of 40,400.

I do know insurance companies and finance companies don't think it's the same either as some people have had trouble insuring them or they were charged much higher rates and it had nothing to do with cab or chassis model.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I don't know anything about the 350 with a max tow package, that is not what I have. I guess it can be called that but there are several differences than the F350. All I know is it says 2015 F450 which is different than years past. Different wheels (19.5 forged aluminum), brakes (same as the F550 and above I think), different suspension, different frame, different rear end, different front end. I know there is a chassis only model but the F450 I have is not the same as the F350. 31,200 tow capacity, 14,000 GVWR, Rear GAWR of 9100, Front GAWR 5940 and a GCWR of 40,400.
Interesting numbers. My 15 3500 HD RAM/Cummins/Aisin Crew Cab Dually is SAE J2807 rated to tow a combined load of 37,900# Front axle rating of 6,000# and rear axle rating of 9,750#. 14K GVWR, that number is for licensing purposes. It has over a 6K pin rating.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Interesting numbers. My 15 3500 HD RAM/Cummins/Aisin Crew Cab Dually is SAE J2807 rated to tow a combined load of 37,900# Front axle rating of 6,000# and rear axle rating of 9,750#. 14K GVWR, that number is for licensing purposes. It has over a 6K pin rating.
Those are impressive numbers and I think we all know it's mostly a numbers game, one trying to outdo the other. I really like the new RAM's, great looking trucks and I see a lot of them here where I live. In the SRW trucks I see more Fords but in the DRW trucks I see as many or more RAM's I think.

I was not even looking at the 450's, hadn't seen one on any lot. Someone custom ordered this truck and they had just got it off the truck and they called me. I drove straight to the dealer and traded but had only been looking at F350 DRW.

WINGNUT60, not arguing at all, but the F350 with max tow and the F450 are two different trucks. The 2015 F450 shares a lot of the same suspension and components as the 2014 F550 and above I believe. I had been trying to find the color/options combo I wanted and couldn't find it. The F450 had everythign I wanted and I really liked the fact the brakes were better than the F350 DRW. I had an F250 (6.7) before and never liked the brakes on that truck. The manufacturers are all just trying to outdo the other anyways but hopefully, we the consumers, gain from this.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #33

Have you weighed your truck. Reason I ask I have a 6k pin. I was right at max with stock bed. Slightly over with hauler bed. Dodges are heavier. We both have a factory rating of 9750
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #34

C130,
I thought that was what I said--2015 F450s come in 2 forms: pickup (what you have) and cab/chassis (no bed, lower engine ratings). But there is a 350 that has the wide track front suspension, along with 4.30 gears--that is the Max Tow Package. It does not have the 19.5" wheels.
Joe
Old 04-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
C130,
I thought that was what I said--2015 F450s come in 2 forms: pickup (what you have) and cab/chassis (no bed, lower engine ratings). But there is a 350 that has the wide track front suspension, along with 4.30 gears--that is the Max Tow Package. It does not have the 19.5" wheels.
Joe
No problem, I must have misunderstood. It's my first DRW truck so it's all new to me. I had an F250 before but sure like the DRW for towing the 5th wheel. Take care, happy Easter to everyone.

I like the 4.30 gears for towing but using it for a daily driver has kept my speed down for sure. Guess that's not necessarily a bad thing but try to keep it 65-70 max.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #36

I just wish I had your new one--my '09 has 205k miles on it. FWIW--I got 78k out of both the original and a replacement set of the Continentals. 126k front brakes, 138k rear brakes.
Take care of it--drain the water separator religiously at each oil change--take a clear plastic cocktail cup in with you and have them drain it into the cup, very easy to see any water/sediment.
I love these trucks.
Joe
Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #37

It's great that you're considering the issue. I had the exact situation, a 40' 5er and an F250 truck for about 2 years. It hauled it pretty well, but the weight issue was always on my mind because I knew I was over weight on my rear axle by up to 2500 lbs. One comment in a forum pushed me to make the change. Someone said "If I got into an accident and someone died, there would be an investigation and I could be criminally charged if knowingly over weight, or negligent if unknowingly." The auto manufacturers rate the trucks for certain weights for a reason. I dig deeper into the discussion on my video where i talk about the decision, and it may be worth a watch. https://youtu.be/6hF1HMi3Fs8
JeromesRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #38

"Those are impressive numbers and I think we all know it's mostly a numbers game, one trying to outdo the other. I really like the new RAM's, great looking trucks and I see a lot of them here where I live. In the SRW trucks I see more Fords but in the DRW trucks I see as many or more RAM's I think"

It's a numbers game for Ford since they can't use their claims and be compliant with the SAE J2807 criteria.

With RAM they are backed up by SAE an independent testing agency.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
"Those are impressive numbers and I think we all know it's mostly a numbers game, one trying to outdo the other. I really like the new RAM's, great looking trucks and I see a lot of them here where I live. In the SRW trucks I see more Fords but in the DRW trucks I see as many or more RAM's I think"

It's a numbers game for Ford since they can't use their claims and be compliant with the SAE J2807 criteria.

With RAM they are backed up by SAE an independent testing agency.
Was that part of the Government bail out? Just kidding, I just couldn't resist and seriously, just a joke. Dodge/RAM has stepped it up and makes some nice looking vehicles for sure. I didn't even go drive one because I was afraid I'd like it, my family would disown me.

I almost waited to see what they Ford did with the 2016 Super Duty's but heard rumors they weren't changing them until 2017. Ford needs to update their interiors for sure though I love my King Ranch interior. The dash needs to be updates I guess, lots of plastic seems to be the complaint. But, it's easy to clean and take care of. LED lighting also needs to be an option which I think will come with the update like the new F150's. I was told the frame would be partial aluminum, not all.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post

I do know insurance companies and finance companies don't think it's the same either as some people have had trouble insuring them or they were charged much higher rates and it had nothing to do with cab or chassis model.
I just checked the numbers on my 05 450. Most interesting to see the differences in 10 years! I had to get the tow package and change to 4:88 rear end.

GAWR (F) - 6000
GAWR (R) - 12000
GVWR - 16000
GCWR - 33000
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #41

Yep, there's lots of plastic in all these trucks interiors to be brutually honest - even if you throw an aluminum or wooden overlay on top, it's still going to be plastic underneath. No way to get around that... Other than it having a face that only a mother could love and halogen headlights, I like my Ford. At first I didn't like the farm-implement rear dually fenders - until it was pointed out to me that I didn't have to climb into the bed of the truck from the rear to yank the fifth-wheel release lever... They're growing on me... We all have engines with enough grunt to move a mountain and strong transmissions that really get the job done.
I believe that Ford has finally got the job done right with their new(er) 6.7 Scorpion engine.. The only thing that scares me is the same thing that scares all of us newer generation truck owners without adding a bunch of aftermarket stuff and that's failures of the High Pressure Fuel pumps and running out of DEF.
Once my truck is out of warranty, it will be someone elses problem because I will be driving another truck. Maybe with a bowtie - maybe with a pair of antlers...
Meanwhile, we're all brothers with the love of the open road, camping and a good woman....
Happy Easter guys...
He is risen!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Yep, there's lots of plastic in all these trucks interiors to be brutually honest - even if you throw an aluminum or wooden overlay on top, it's still going to be plastic underneath. No way to get around that... Other than it having a face that only a mother could love and halogen headlights, I like my Ford. At first I didn't like the farm-implement rear dually fenders - until it was pointed out to me that I didn't have to climb into the bed of the truck from the rear to yank the fifth-wheel release lever... They're growing on me... We all have engines with enough grunt to move a mountain and strong transmissions that really get the job done.
I believe that Ford has finally got the job done right with their new(er) 6.7 Scorpion engine.. The only thing that scares me is the same thing that scares all of us newer generation truck owners without adding a bunch of aftermarket stuff and that's failures of the High Pressure Fuel pumps and running out of DEF.
Once my truck is out of warranty, it will be someone elses problem because I will be driving another truck. Maybe with a bowtie - maybe with a pair of antlers...
Meanwhile, we're all brothers with the love of the open road, camping and a good woman....
Happy Easter guys...
He is risen!
Well said, Happy Easter! Went to Friday night Easter service and going to visit family this afternoon. I debated for a year or so about getting an RV, never had one before and just used tents to camp. We've had our toy hauler for over two years now and love it. Kids are 11 and 14, one of the best decisions I've made. Great memories and great times, just feel fortunate to have what I have.