Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM   #15

I’m sorry for all the dumb questions

I’m trying to wrap my head around how to match a TT to a vehicle.

If I take the Gross Vehicle Weight of a trailer, and with the 10-15% rule get it’s tongue weight.

Assuming that tongue weight is within range of the vehicle, if I add that tonight weight to the curb weight of the car - and subtract those from the GVWR of the car - I’m left with remaining payload numbers.

Is that right?

My back of napkin maths for this:

The Sportsman Classic 181BH lists themselves as a GVWV of 3500lbs, and tongue weight of 430lbs.

The Subaru Ascent has a 5,000lb capacity, and a 500lb tongue rating. It’s curb weight is 4603lbs and it’s GVWR is 6,001lbs.

So: 4603+430 = 5,033lbs.
6,001 - 5,033 = 968lbs left in Payload (to include people, dog etc)

Am I calculating that correctly? If so, this discounts this setup for us, and thats fine - I just want to be sure I’m understanding the maths.
peeceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShu View Post
I started with a '16 Tacoma and a 3700 lb GVW TT ( Lance 1475). It was a horrible experience and 6 mo later it was gone. There is a reason even the die hard Taco enthusiasts call the current model the 'Turd Gen'. I made the mistake of 'test driving' the then newly introduced and bought a '17 Honda Ridgeline. I towed the 1475 for 3 years and 20k+ towing miles. Both units were paired with a Equalizer 4pt 600/6k WDH. It was a winning combo and would still have it if we did not want a more capable boon docking trailer.

Trailer suggestion: Check out the Lance 1575 and see if it would work for you. You may be able to find a nice used one at your price point. Well built and nicely appointed. Towable with your original SUV choices.
https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1575/
We were looking at Lance. The 1575 doesn’t come with a bunk, so it’s out for us, but we like the brand.
peeceejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Your calculations are technically correct, but there is more to it than just squeaking by on the numbers.

Wheelbase length of the tow vehicle plays a big part in the handling of a trailer. The longer the wheelbase the better. Do some YouTube and forum searches on short wheelbase towing and SUV towing.

I haven't heard many people say they are happy towing with any SUV, much less anything less than a full size.

I think most would highly recommend taking a close look at a full size pickup. We have a RAM 1500 Laramie crew cab 4x4 with factory tow package and 3.92 rear axle ratio. I would stack the interior experience up against any of the "luxury" SUVs. In fact, I did. Before we bought the 1500, I drove a Nissan Pathfinder SL. We test drove Infinity, BMW, and a few other "luxury" SUVs. While we bought the 1500 with towing in mind as a possibility, at that time we had no specific plans.

At the time, late 2017, I believe the RAM Lariat interior and features "bells and whistles" compared to the luxury lineups and beat Ford's offerings. I didn't even consider Government Motor's offerings. I believe Ford's interiors have caught up now and GM offers some nice features.

Our RAM has been back to the dealer twice for very minor issues. We had an intermittent front parking sensor (proximity) and the other was a recall on the tailgate latch. I've done my own oil changes or taken it to Express a couple of times and put tires on it at ~48,000 miles.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #18

I agree with happy2rv - the new Ram 1500 interiors are better than Audi. With coil springs in back they ride like a car. But to honest so do the F-150 and GM 1500 trucks.

A Ram 1500 5.7 hemi could tow any Lance trailer. The Ford F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost will make you smile when you step on the gas. The GM trucks will have the best payload.

There is a reason there are so many trucks sold in the U.S. is because they are so pleasent to travel in. If I could pick any vehicle to drive across country in it would be a 150/1500 series truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #19

Remember that CUVs like Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, Pallisade, etc, that have that 5,000-lb towing capacity are unibody, “crossover” vehicles and not body-on-frame SUVs. They are closer to cars and minivans than vehicles like Tahoe, Expedition, etc. They have limited rear axle load “hauling” capacity. That rear axle, subframe, and connections to the unibody have to support the tongue/hitch weight of the TT plus a percentage of the TV passengers, plus probably 100% of the rest of the cargo in the TV. A tall order. Recommend anyone with a CUV to initially target only 60% of its 5,000-lb “towing capacity” or 3,000-lb advertised “dry” weight TT. If you are just a couple that travels light, then you can tow more. If you are a family of 4 or 5 with lots of toys and stuff, then you are even more limited. If you are as heavy as me and my family (with a friend or two) and have a couple of heavy golden retrievers and lots of STUFF, then there is almost zero available payload left to even tow anything! Some CUVs only have 1,200-lbs or less payload capacity. Teardrop for me and DW and everyone else in tents!

Tags
scr