Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Stay hooked up 5th riding high in front

When traveling I would prefer to stay connected for overnight only spots. My Chaparral 30 RLS rides about2 -4 inch high (eye ballin it).

Since I would like to stay level for the sake of the refridg,

Would caring a (one or 2 for each side) couple of 4 x 6 (x length of tire-to-tire) .... backing onto them to raise the trailer only work. Works in my head but don't want to waist my time if it's been tried and not feasible?

Thanks
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Yeah, that should work.
Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 5er days are far behind me. I would try and get the unit to sit level on the truck/wheels. The weight will be better distributed on the tires and the brakes will be more effective.
The pin box may be adjustable as well as the axles.

I think more experienced and current users will be along to help.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #4

Yes, the wood cribbing will definitely work fine.
Speaking of the pin box and hitch adjustment. How much clearance do you have between the truck bed and the trailer front cap? If it's more than approx. 6-7" you might lower the nose to be more level, less plank required.
Just a thought.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:42 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most pin boxes and 5th hitches can be adjusted for height. As stated above keeping it level while driving is important enough. Also some rigs allow limited height adjustment where the springs bolt onto the frame.

Info as to your pin box and hitch will allow folks to better contribute.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
Would caring a (one or 2 for each side) couple of 4 x 6 (x length of tire-to-tire) .... backing onto them to raise the trailer only work. Works in my head but don't want to waist my time if it's been tried and not feasible?
That would work fine for when you're parked. You can also use leveling blocks like these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...48-979051.html

Leveling blocks are usually used only to level the trailer side to side when parked on a sloping RV site, such as when boondocking. But nothing says you cannot use them for leveling front to rear too.

But for safety as well as reefer operation, you want the floor of the trailer level front to rear when on the road, too. Although most 5er hitches are adjustable for height, you cannot lower the hitch enough that it results in less than about about 6" clearance between the top of the bed and the underside of the 5er overhang. Or you'll have a crunched bed when crossing ditches to exit the highway and enter a convenience store.

If you cannot adjust the hitch enough to retain at least 6" clearance and still have a level floor of the trailer, then you need to either raise the trailer on its suspension, or lower the tow vehicle. Raising a trailer that has common leaf spring suspension is often callled "flipping the axles" on the trailer, but you don't literally turn over the axles. Instead you (or your welder) move the spring perches from under the axle to over the axle. That raises most trailers about 4". If your trailer has Dexter TorFlex axles with no leaf springs, then Dexter sells a kit that will raise the trailer a little.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That would work fine for when you're parked. You can also use leveling blocks like these:
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...48-979051.html

Leveling blocks are usually used only to level the trailer side to side when parked on a sloping RV site, such as when boondocking. But nothing says you cannot use them for leveling front to rear too.

But for safety as well as reefer operation, you want the floor of the trailer level front to rear when on the road, too. Although most 5er hitches are adjustable for height, you cannot lower the hitch enough that it results in less than about about 6" clearance between the top of the bed and the underside of the 5er overhang. Or you'll have a crunched bed when crossing ditches to exit the highway and enter a convenience store.

If you cannot adjust the hitch enough to retain at least 6" clearance and still have a level floor of the trailer, then you need to either raise the trailer on its suspension, or lower the tow vehicle. Raising a trailer that has common leaf spring suspension is often callled "flipping the axles" on the trailer, but you don't literally turn over the axles. Instead you (or your welder) move the spring perches from under the axle to over the axle. That raises most trailers about 4". If your trailer has Dexter TorFlex axles with no leaf springs, then Dexter sells a kit that will raise the trailer a little.

Thanks ... I think thats going to be the answer. I have about 5.5 - 6 inch of free board over the rails so I don't think I can monkey with that.

Thanks Again .... expert advice on this forum .... appreciated.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #8

Have you placed a level on floor of freezer or shelf in food compartment to check 'level' when hooked up?

Towing nose high is NOT ideal.
Transfers weight to rear trailer axle
Lighter pin weight
ETC

Go to a flat/level parking lot and measure differences between trailer frame front to rear ......
Correct Track by LCI is a bolt on 'alignment' component AND will raise trailer roughly 2"
One easy option to limit your nose high condition AND align your trailer axles

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-87220.../dp/B00JMHF15G
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

I just raised my 5er at the double axle 4 inches so that it tows level.

Regarding your question about using blocks to lift the tires, sounds good to me as a temporary solution until you level the trailer.

Lifting the trailer 4 inches put me at 14 feet. Legal west of the Mississippi, but 6 inches too high east of the Mississippi. I am replacing the front a/c to get it back down to 13 feet 7, one inch illegal back east but that is the best I can feasibly do.