Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #1

Stellantis says a Ram EV truck by 2024.

Took awhile and Stellantis is last to the table but it looks like there will be a Dodge Ram Electric truck by 2024.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/08/stell...ication-plans/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

Secondary article that was linked off the first.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/08/ram-t...rting-in-2024/
Old 07-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

You can call me old school but when I can tow 400 miles a day and have juice left for evening cruising and be charged back up and ready to repeat the next day I will be very interested in a battery powered truck. I do have battery powered trucks now but they are from my youth and run on D cells. Just saying.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #4

Another article from a different publication.

https://insideevs.com/news/519183/ra...-pickup-truck/

Also noticed that they are throwing in the towel on the charger and challenger for ICE engines as of 2024.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #5

A lot of vehicle manufacturers are building prototypes but I wonder how many are really gearing up for production. They're not going to go through the expense of building an actual assembly line unless there's a real market for them. So the question is, how many people are going to buy an electric truck at $100,000 to $150,000?

The other question is, when they say it will be available in 4 or 5 years, will the EV fad still be there then?
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
A lot of vehicle manufacturers are building prototypes but I wonder how many are really gearing up for production. They're not going to go through the expense of building an actual assembly line unless there's a real market for them. So the question is, how many people are going to buy an electric truck at $100,000 to $150,000?

The other question is, when they say it will be available in 4 or 5 years, will the EV fad still be there then?
Who knows. But in the meantime they could lose a lot of market share.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

I can see the demand for these, particularly for municipal, commercial and utility service fleet use that are always back at the fleet yard for the night to recharge.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

Stellantis doesn't know what they are doing

Stellantis needs to get their act together. 1st off they should be able to supply basic parts for current vehicles they are sold before dreaming of other newer crap. There are thousands and thousands of FCA/Stellantis vehicles parked and driving loaners waiting for parts.

I have a customer waiting on a part since early February. Promised order date was June 29th. That just got pushed back to Sept. 30th. I imagine they'll push it back yet again. Thankfully the POS is still driveable. Many are not.

Many of these manufacturers are beginning to look like Ponzi schemes, à la Tesla.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Stellantis needs to get their act together. 1st off they should be able to supply basic parts for current vehicles they are sold before dreaming of other newer crap. There are thousands and thousands of FCA/Stellantis vehicles parked and driving loaners waiting for parts.

I have a customer waiting on a part since early February. Promised order date was June 29th. That just got pushed back to Sept. 30th. I imagine they'll push it back yet again. Thankfully the POS is still driveable. Many are not.

Many of these manufacturers are beginning to look like Ponzi schemes, à la Tesla.
How is Tesla like a Ponzi scheme?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
How is Tesla like a Ponzi scheme?
Starting 25 different projects, producing a handful or less and collecting downpayments in the 10 digits with no actual promised delivery date.

We have to wonder how many of these promises will ever come true.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Starting 25 different projects, producing a handful or less and collecting downpayments in the 10 digits with no actual promised delivery date.

We have to wonder how many of these promises will ever come true.
What 25 projects.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
What 25 projects.
I don't keep track of all the Tesla stuff. They are always pushing some ridiculous new stuff, promise a date and miss the mark by several years. That semi truck was supposed to be on the road by now. They were 2 years late on the model 3, and they had and still have loads of basic problems, unacceptable in that price range.

I'm not gonna get into an argument on Tesla here. I know your stance on them very well, especially since you own one. I'm glad you like yours. I just very much dislike the Tesla way of doing business, but it works for them so...
Old 07-11-2021, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
I don't keep track of all the Tesla stuff. They are always pushing some ridiculous new stuff, promise a date and miss the mark by several years. That semi truck was supposed to be on the road by now. They were 2 years late on the model 3, and they had and still have loads of basic problems, unacceptable in that price range.

I'm not gonna get into an argument on Tesla here. I know your stance on them very well, especially since you own one. I'm glad you like yours. I just very much dislike the Tesla way of doing business, but it works for them so...
Fair enough. But I’m not aware of any chronic problems with their cars any more than any other brand. And lots of other cars in the price range you mentioned (40,0000 dollars) are not perfect either.

Future projects? They always seem to come thru, albeit a couple years later than forecast. Not sure how that is a ponze scheme.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:

I'm not sure if Ponzi scheme is the right word, but there is something strange going on with Tesla. They are not making money selling cars. They make their money selling CAFE credits. CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) was enacted by Congress in 1975 after the Arab oil embargo to force auto manufacturers to improve their fuel economy. Over the years it has become oppressive. If the average vehicle sale does not meet the current MPG requirement then they have to pay a large fine. They can escape the fine by purchasing credits from manufacturers that exceed the CAFE requirements. Tesla and maybe Toyota with their 50 mpg Prius are the only ones that can meet the standard so they sell their credits to the other manufacturers at a profit.

EV's have a high MPGe rating because the rating does not include the fuel burned at the power plant. It is therefore a false rating and it leads to a distortion of the CAFE credit money flow.

The bottom line is, when you buy a car with an internal combustion engine you are paying money to a manufacturer of electric vehicles.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote