Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
SCP

Still Exploring: Might Go With Toyota Tundra Jayco Lite Weight

I'm exploring the idea of buying the above mentioned truck prior to buying a new TT to pull.* My reason for buying the truck first is that it will be my primary vehicle and trailer pulling will only be done about 30 days out of the year.* The Tundra is a great truck with the 5.7L motor, rated to tow 10,100 lbs, but* I calculate that I'd be able to pull a maximum of about 7,000 lbs.* This calculation figures in fuel in the tank, weight of my wife and I, our dog's weight, a W/D hitch, and, extra cargo, and extra options on the truck like running boards.* The number came out about 9,000 pounds, then I subtracted 20% (as a cushion), hence the 7,000 pound capability.* I will tow the trailer some in the mountains, as we live in California and plan on going to Colorado and Canada. Questions follow:

Even though I calculate 7,000 pounds for a trailers GVWR wouldn't I be wise to tow less than that to have good stopping ability?

Based on the experience of others, in this forum, I'd estimate that the wife and I will have about 1,300 pounds of added weight on top of the TT's dry weight.* Hence if we get a trailer with a dry weight of 4,200 pounds are actual GW would go to 5,500 pounds.* One trailer in the consideration is a Jayco 22FQSW and it has the 4,205 pound dry weight.* I am on the right track? *
SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Figure 10-15% for tongue weight and make sure your truck has enough payload, hitch rating and use a weight-distributing hitch! Good luck!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

>"Toyota Tundra Jayco Lite Weight"

Extreme light weight trailers do have their drawbacks.
Thinner walls, lighter frames, spindly cabinets, etc etc.
Toyota Tundra is a good lightweight truck, but you don't see
many of them towing RV's.

IMHO: If you have the money, go for a domestic 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) pickup
and a heavier travel trailer, it will pay off in the long run.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
SCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post

Yes, but the Tundra is a very reliable truck that would make a great primary vehicle and it will work as long as I keep the weights in mind. It is a bit limiting. You've got me thinking, but DW wants the Tundra over the big three 3/4 tons. And, unfortunately there is no perfect RV or perfect truck, all have there plusses and minuses.
SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #5

Coworkers new TRS tundra had sticker of 1200 lb I believe which ironically was the same as my wife's odyssey
2012TxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

>"but DW wants the Tundra over the big three 3/4 tons. And, unfortunately there is no perfect RV or perfect truck, all have there plusses and minuses."

IMHO: True enough.

Just be careful about picking a lightweight trailer... pick one that's well made.
Pay attention to wall framing, wall covering, flooring, ceiling... etc.

Also, take some coveralls/flashlight and go under the trailer and nose around.
On quite a few trailers there may a big 'eye opener' under there.
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #7

The Tundra is a fine towing vehicle. Just as good or better than any other 1/2. Ton. A 3/4 ton would be better for the future because it would give you growing room.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post

Or buy a Lance, you get light weight and long term durability that'll last a lifetime. Oh yeah one draw back, it's expensive, just like buying a BMW, small, well engineered and expensive.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:40 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I towed the trailer in my signature with my 5.7 Tundra. I went to The Canadian Rockies and all over the mountains here in Oregon. The truck did fine but having the transmission hunt between 4-5 gear and screaming along at 4000 rpms going up hills does get old. I went from it to a 3/4 ton diesel and couldn't be happier. It is a much more relaxing drive and the Ram doesn't make a bad daily driver either.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailers fine, but IMO I'd go with the new 2017 F150 Eco Boost 3.5. It won't be screaming up hills and will get better non towing mpg's. The tundra constantly gets last in towing reviews compared to the other big 3 and is always last in the mpg tests.
They do suck gas towing or not. I'm not a Ford or any brand fan per-say, but the new F150's are heads above the other 3 when it comes to towing. A moderately loaded F150 will get you 1600-1900lbs for CCC. 300-400lbs more that any Tundra. It all adds up after awhile.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP View Post
there is no perfect RV or perfect truck, all have there plusses and minuses.
When it comes to towing, I'll take all the plusses in the truck column I can get.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Another vote for Lance Trailer!!
Better build quality, yes, more$$$,
My 2285 Lance , 24' , weighs 4800# dry.
6000# MAX. weight.
Looked at Jaco , build quality just isn't there.
Wasn't going to spend $$ on low entry level RV.
We got our 2017 2285 for $8,000 below MSRP.
Don't let sticker price scare you off.
Good luck!!
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #13

Having previously owned a Toyota Tundra and towing a 6000-7000 pound camper all over Alaska up and down many mountain passes I too got tired of the Tundra constantly gear hunting!! It gets old really fast IMHO.

I have several friends who have preached the gospel about their Diesel. So after some kick back from the DW we went ahead and bought a very slightly used 2016 Ram 2500 CTD and went out for our first trip of the season this past weekend. Let me tell you, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling the whole way down to the campground. It was so obvious how much better the Ram was that my wife even commented how nice it was riding and not hearing the engine screaming going up the mountain passes. I'd have to say the ride was better and not as jarring compared to the loaded down Toyota. The MPG was also improved. Can't wait to get out again.

Having the exhaust brake available is extremely helpful and something I don't want to be without in the future.

The running joke with the wife now is that she can bring whatever she wants camping now that we don't have to worry about weight issues.

Tags
jayco, weight