Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #1

Suggest a TPMS.

We bought our first travel trailer last March and have about 70 nights in it so far, including a 5700 mile trip from North Carolina to South Dakota and Colorado this past August. Mostly doing State Park weekend trips with the kids now, but planning for a Grand circle tour in July to see arches Bryce Grand canyon etc.

Reminds me of the value of a tire pressure monitoring system, which I intended to buy previously but never got around to. We have a Toyota tundra TRD pro and a 24-ft no boundaries 19.3 which only weighs about 4,500 lb. But I would really like to keep an eye on these trailer tires in hopes that I might be able to avoid an issue ahead of time with any luck.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Pic attached from our trip to South Dakota in Colorado this past August.

Dan
NC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200819_231048-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	316736  
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #2

I used TireMinder TM-77 monitor w/12 sensors on our dually and 5er (+spares) for last four and a half years. None are perfect 100% of the time. Small quirks here n there. Still wouldn’t tow without it. No matter what brand you choose, it’s great piece of mind.

I see a TireMinder i10 with 4 sensors and a booster on Amazon for $249. If it were me, I’d go with this. Also free annual battery replacement for $5 s/h.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another option is the TST (Truck Systems Technologies) TPMS. A little pricier than the Tireminder, but has been very reliable over the seven years I've used it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

A second vote for the TST system. Be aware that you will need to go to all metal valve stems, as short as you can get that still allows you to mount the sensors. This will take some experimentation.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #5

No issues with my Tire Minder Smart TPMS system. Runs off an app on your smartphone. Note: you do NOT need to keep the app up and running on the phone to receive alerts. The bluetooth receiver flashes 'red' and emits an alert tone if any issue is found. You can then bring up the app to get a readout of temp/pressure for each tire.
It's at an excellent price on Amazon now as well
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Another option is the TST (Truck Systems Technologies) TPMS. A little pricier than the Tireminder, but has been very reliable over the seven years I've used it.
I've been using them for many years now. Be sure to get the color monitor. It's much easier to read in daylight.
BTW, they advertise here.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #7

I really appreciate the thoughts. Regarding the metal valve stems, is that a big deal to get done. This is the first time I've heard of that. The tire minder certainly sounds more convenient. But I'm sure the TST system has it's benefits also. Will check out some of those options on Amazon. I just want to keep an eye on the pressure and temperature of my four trailer tires.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #8

Two of the rubber valve stems on my trialer started leaking after about a 1k miles with TPMS caps on them.. They weight of the TPMS tweaked and stretched the rubber valve stems while driving.1
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
Community Moderator

I have had good service from my Eez TPMS

https://eezrvproducts.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9484.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	316799
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #10

Changing to metal stems is not a big job. A tire shop can do it easily. Or, if you are ambitious and handy, it can be done at home. Metal stems are strongly suggested by most systems and required by some. Whatever system you decide on, make sure it is one that tells you the pressure when you are not moving. Some systems go to sleep when not turning for a while and getting a mile down the road and then finding you have a low tire is not going to be fun. The TST monitor goes to sleep but the sending units do not. The slightest movement, like opening the door of the truck, wakes it up.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:31 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I’ve been running the TireMinder A1A for about 4 years. I have no complaints. After 3 years of running it I was starting to question the need. During our Arizona trip one year ago it saved us twice in 3 days from damage from tire failure. It alerted us in time to get slowed and stopped on one occasion and before we got onto the Interstate on the other. The customer service is excellent as well.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to join in on the TST recommendation. I've had my system for 12 years and it does exactly what I want it to do. It's easy to use and set up. I've found that it is very accurate when comparing it's readings versus a tire gauge. Plus they have excellent CS.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I have had good service from my Eez TPMS

https://eezrvproducts.com

Attachment 316799
Same.

No complaints. I ordered it without the flow thru sensors, so you have to remove them to add air to your tires.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:18 PM   #14

Great insight, thanks guys. Hadn't even considered the removal of sensors to add air, or check with air gauge. Really appreciate you folks taking the time to educate me a bit. Had a pretty uneventful ~10k miles of towing so far, but don't want to be complacent. A good tpms system would be a nice addition.

Tags
tpms