Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
A 350/3500 SRW is a perfect match for the trailer in question ...
Nonsense. Not if you don't want to be overloaded over the GVWR of the tow vehicle. The PowerStroke drivetrain will pull the weight with no problem, but the suspension and brakes will be overloaded. The CAT scale weight ticket will be the proof in the pudding. Add the weight of the front and rear axles of the tow vehicle and compare to the GVWR of that pickup.

Some of the members of this forum are fans of being overloaded. For some reason they never post their weights per the CAT scale, but you can bet they're overloaded. with an SRW pickup towing a 16k 5er.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
What you can bet is your wrong again. I've been to a scale back when I first bought my setup on my maiden 2000 mile trip up and around Nova Scotia. Just under on weights all around except for a couple hundred over on GCVWR. And, no I don't still have the ticket. I didn't do it because I was concerned. It was more of a curiosity thing as I was at a truck stop in Caribou ME that happened to have a scale right next to the pumps and I figured it was worth $8 to see where I was really at. I don't believe the ticket even made it home because saving it to win a debate on the interwebber was not really on my mind at the time... Beyond that, even if I was a couple hundred lbs over on individual weights, I still would have complete confidence. It amuses to read posts from those who think these trucks were engineered to break at exactly their posted weight limits. Bottom line is the proof is in experience and I have it towing my trailer with my truck and my own trip to a scale. I know what it can do and that's how I base my opinions I share here and on other forums. To post an opinion based on numbers you find on the net and guesstimate the rest really doesn't help anyone.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Got my popcorn...
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

Honest question here since this is always debated. Is there any difference between the brakes in a srw and drw? I don't think there is even between the 3/4 ton srw and a 1 ton drw. At least not on a gmc. As far as I've always known the only difference between a 3/4 ton srw and a 1 ton drw is 2 tires and 1 extra leaf spring.
Kingw2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingw2001 View Post
Honest question here since this is always debated. Is there any difference between the brakes in a srw and drw? I don't think there is even between the 3/4 ton srw and a 1 ton drw. At least not on a gmc. As far as I've always known the only difference between a 3/4 ton srw and a 1 ton drw is 2 tires and 1 extra leaf spring.

Not 100% sure on brakes between DRW and SRW. I think the DRWs have hydroboost while the SRWs have vacuum boost. I believe the brakes themselves are the same though. I do know for certain that between the SRW 250 and 350 the only difference is a taller spring spacer block and an overload spring. Everything else is identical.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I do know for certain that between the SRW 250 and 350 the only difference is a taller spring spacer block and an overload spring. Everything else is identical.
Nonsense. The Ford specs say different. For example, the 2009 Ford specs show:

F-250 and F-350 SRW have different rear axles. They are both Ford Sterling 10.5" axles, but with different guts. F-250 rear axle is rated for 6200 pounds with 35 splines and major spline diameter of 1.50 inches. F-350 SRW rear axle is rated for 7,280 pounds with 37 splines and major spline diameter of 1.57 inches.

F-350 DRW has a completely different Dana 80 11.25" rear axle rated 9,000 pounds.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
Old 06-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Nonsense. The Ford specs say different. For example, the 2009 Ford specs show:

F-250 and F-350 SRW have different rear axles. They are both Ford Sterling 10.5" axles, but with different guts. F-250 rear axle is rated for 6200 pounds with 35 splines and major spline diameter of 1.50 inches. F-350 SRW rear axle is rated for 7,280 pounds with 37 splines and major spline diameter of 1.57 inches.

F-350 DRW has a completely different Dana 80 11.25" rear axle rated 9,000 pounds.

ABSOLUTELY untrue SRW info based on an old misprinted chart that still has life with the uninformed on the net. If you took two minutes to call any Ford dealer you would find the part numbers for both rear ends and all the internals are IDENTICAL. I've personally done it along with others on the Ford forums. So say "nonsense" all you like but you are completely misinformed. I used to be on the wrong side of that very argument and actually posted the misprinted Ford chart you quoted from a few times until people who actually bothered to verify it corrected me. I, like you, didn't believe them until I checked the part numbers myself only to find I was wrong like you are...

The bottom line is that the F250 and F350 SRW trucks are identical other than the block and overload spring. They are just marketed differently and help those that GVWR restrictions get a capable truck without registration issues.

Also, if you don't want to call your dealer, call Randy's Ring and Pinion. http://www.ringpinion.com/

They have just a little bit of experience with these trucks. Ask them about the differences between the two and that 2011 Ford misprinted chart. They will laugh or be irritated with the "not this crap again." Either way, once that is done, you'll get the real story...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...SRW info based on an old misprinted chart ...
If the Ford Truck Source Book is wrong, it has been wrong for the last 15 years. It shows basically the same differences every year from '99 through 2014.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
If the Ford Truck Source Book is wrong, it has been wrong for the last 15 years. It shows basically the same differences every year from '99 through 2014.
That is correct. Now take 30 seconds and look up the part numbers and report back.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Kingw2001,
GM diesels, the difference between 2500 and 3500 SWR is the wheels, tires and springs. The axles and brakes are the same. The Gas motors have a smaller rear axle, and I am not sure what brakes are on them.
SmokeyWren,
I agree with everything that you are saying, except that, at least on GM pickups, the weights of the truck itself are 500 to 1000# less than a comparable Ford. This is not to disagree with you, just a FIY.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, on GM and Ram the differences are more pronounced than just a taller block and overload spring which is the only difference on the Ford's.

Tags
5th wheel