Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Sumosprings install on a half ton

I had time yesterday to install the Supersprings product Sumosprings (Supersprings.com) on the rear of our 2nd generation Tundra. They are closed cell polyurethane bags that replace the spring bump stops on most trucks. It took me about two and a half hours and I am anal (dull-witted) so anyone else might accomplish it in less time. It was easiest for me to lift one side of the truck at a time. One has to remove the two u bolt nuts (X2-so 4 per side) on the bottom of the spring pack that holds the stock bump pad in place and slip in the Sumospring, making sure it aligns with the bump plate above. Torque it down and that's it. I didn't even take the wheels off.

With the 740 lbs tongue weight of our 22H, the truck sat level (a TRD Toy is normally higher in the rear). So I gained a little over an inch and it required less jack height to attach the WDH bars. Not a huge difference, but I'm hoping the bags also lend a bit of lateral stability.

For less than $200 and an easy self-install, I believe this is a slick addition for half tons. No, it doesn't increase the GVW figures, but it just might add a little bit more confidence, especially in a windy situation. And that's all I was looking for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Looks interesting. Let us know how they feel once you get a chance to use them.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Did you consider air bags instead for about $140 more?
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggplaya View Post
Did you consider air bags instead for about $140 more?
Yes. We only get out three or four times a year and the truck has been more than adequate without supplemental help. All I wanted was to firm up the spring pack a little and see if they reduced sway. These are "set it and forget it" much as an extra leaf in the spring pack.

If we towed heavier or more often I would have given more thought to the air bags.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
I don't understand how it can add a little bit more confidence. A 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton unless you upgrade the suspension system, brakes, engine, and transmission.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #6

Apples and oranges. Some people fit thicker anti-sway bars. These bags act more like airbags and add stability through an earlier engagement and added stiffness. I realize my truck is an inferior 1/2 ton and has a lower GV carrying weight, but theoretically you can add heavier components to approximate a truck with more stiffness (capacity). I am not near my carrying limit and don't anticipate a larger, heavier trailer. This allowed me to back off the WDH a notch which is what I was looking for. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry if that doesn't answer your question. Bottom line is, I'm happy.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

As long as you are happy with it that's what counts. I added air bags to mine made a nice differance I don't use much air 25 pound just made things ride a bit nicer.

And as we know with this site if you don't have a 2500 or 3500 you are not suppost to tow anything at all.

Have fun and be safe.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

So true.
The IS suspension is talked all over as being better on trailers.
I find the rubber suspension can give a much needed stability without the need of constant readjusting.

I see it all the time when unhooking, having to raise the trailer high and the truck raising. Only to lower the front of the trailer again to level it.
No wonder everyone needs expensive level up system.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
I don't understand how it can add a little bit more confidence. A 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton unless you upgrade the suspension system, brakes, engine, and transmission.
Adding airbags will restrict sway in a 1/2 ton as well as any truck. Heavier duty shocks help with rebound. Just because it's a 1/2 ton doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. Even 3/4-1 tons can be improved upon. After market shocks, sway bars, airbags, etc will improve any truck.
Any understanding about suspension handling enhancements will show that adding those items improves handling.
Adding those items won't transform a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton. That's not what the OP was intending anyway. He was just looking to improve his towing experience.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #10

Air bags usually increase sway in a truck and are no substitute for the factory suspension to add load capacity. Overload springs will add to the load capacity without changing the ride and handling characteristics of the truck whether or not there is the tongue load in place. Air bags are useful when you need more height only when using a trailer and can lower the rear of the truck when the trailer is not being towed. Otherwise why go with something that needs to be adjusted all the time and if one bag fails on a trip you are in trouble. I looked a Sumosprings and read the 2-year warranty and decided to pass on them.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
Air bags usually increase sway in a truck and are no substitute for the factory suspension to add load capacity. Overload springs will add to the load capacity without changing the ride and handling characteristics of the truck whether or not there is the tongue load in place. Air bags are useful when you need more height only when using a trailer and can lower the rear of the truck when the trailer is not being towed. Otherwise why go with something that needs to be adjusted all the time and if one bag fails on a trip you are in trouble. I looked a Sumosprings and read the 2-year warranty and decided to pass on them.
How do airbags increase sway? They didn't on my truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install