Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #15

A limited slip can do pretty good if its set up right, but the factory isnt going to do that. They need to be set up so the clutches are stiff enough to spin both sides but loose enough to not chirp a tire in a bend. This is tough with different tires having different traction in different conditions so they get set up softer than id like.

The gm locker is kind of a give and take. Gov-lock, the old ones took like 3.5 turns to lock up both wheels and they were locked solid. Where this can be a problem is when one tires got no traction and the others got super good traction. Hammer down and that couple spins gets the no traction tire going pretty quick and then it engages the other. Stock power levels dont make enough to hurt them usually, but offroaders call them gov-bomb too.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 03:08 AM   #16

Seems to me if you have the GM locker you need to understand how it works so you don't do something crazy. Even on my Ford I am not 100% sure if after turn my knob to lock it if one wheel with spin 1/4 revolution or lock immediatly. I kinda doubt it would be immediate.

Best to be going straight when the rear axles are locked. I can see how people would like the GM locker as it is automatic both locking and unlocking.

Here is a short video of a truck with a rear locking differential. It happens to be a Chevy with the Eaton G80. But the jest of the video is to show how a rear locker is better than 4x4 in some cases.

https://youtu.be/xdND6o9Vsqo
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:51 PM   #17

Neither of my tractors is immediate and i can look at the tire to see. Theyve got a lever you put your foot on so i know when im using them. I guess they could be immediate if i happened to catch them just right. Neither of those will just u lock either. When they lock in it puts them in a bit of a bind where it takes a zig or zag to take the tension off the locking mechanism. I would think the lockers in vehicles would work the same.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #18

Both my GM lockers are seamless. They lock up without harsh shudder or thunk and they unlock when they need to unlock without any special technique, again, seamless.

I haven't blown one up. I did damage and replace my ring and pinion on my Burb once. returning from florida with the camper, it broke 2 blocks from home, so I limped it back. New ring,pinion and bearings and it was good to go. Locker mechanism survived and still works 15 years later.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #19

I would think all trucks would have an Eaton G80 Locker on them as a needed feature. Or even a safety feature since getting stuck is dangerous. All kinds of bad things can happen trying to get unstuck.

KD - thanks for your experience with the Eaton G80 locker.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would think all trucks would have an Eaton G80 Locker on them as a needed feature. Or even a safety feature since getting stuck is dangerous. All kinds of bad things can happen trying to get unstuck.

KD - thanks for your experience with the Eaton G80 locker.
Amen.
Thinking back to the late '50s I've bought maybe 14-15+ pickups from 1'2 tons to several one tons DRWs. Most were GM trucks
I also would not own a gazz or dezul 2wd or 4wd pickup with out some type of locking diff.

I prefer OEM clutch type LDs as I'm not into serious off roading.
The OEM LD in my '03 Dodge/Cummins is the TracRite and IMO a piece of junk.
Stop with one wheel on ice/snow pack and the other on dry pavement in 2wd and your stuck. The TracRite is a AAM helical diff (no clutches) which transfer power to the spinning wheel. This type locker needs to be rolling a bit for it to work. I will say it works great for making two long burnout tracks on dry pavement.
Owners manual suggests slightly applying the emergency brake to lock the wheels together when sitting still.

GMs G80 LD option rocks.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #21

https://youtu.be/R7HrCeDgXgQ

This video has an open, clutch, and g80 in it. This is how my experience has been with the g80. It works, but i wouldnt call that seamless. Even the way it works says it cant be seamless. 120rpm difference and a pawl catches. As far as my locking diffs getting a little stuck, those are manual locking differentials.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #22

"I have seen video of a 2WD truck with a locking rear differential will go places a dumb 4x4 will not go."

I don't know what a "dumb 4x4" is but I guarantee you no 2WD could follow my 4x4 F150. It's gone through axle deep mud you would be hard pressed to walk through.

My new F350 Tremor has a limited slip front axle that really pulls.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
"I have seen video of a 2WD truck with a locking rear differential will go places a dumb 4x4 will not go."

I don't know what a "dumb 4x4" is but I guarantee you no 2WD could follow my 4x4 F150. It's gone through axle deep mud you would be hard pressed to walk through.

My new F350 Tremor has a limited slip front axle that really pulls.
You probably have electronic traction control. Turn it off and try to obtain the same results.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #24

A 'dumb 4x4' is one with open differentials on both axles so only the wheels with the least traction gets the power. Only two wheels will spin. One front and one rear.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
A 'dumb 4x4' is one with open differentials on both axles so only the wheels with the least traction gets the power. Only two wheels will spin. One front and one rear.
Yup, genuine 2 wheel drive!
When I drove a tow truck I used to laugh (all the way to the bank) at the total idiots who would bury their truck/jeep and then say "But it's 4 wheel drive".

Uhmm, no its not really.....
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #26

There are only a few true 4x4 vehicles that I know of. The Ram Power Wagon is one and a few Jeep models like an Unlimited Rubicon I think.

AWD is entirely different and much better than most 4x4 vehicles.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #27

Quote:
There are only a few true 4x4 vehicles that I know of. The Ram Power Wagon is one and a few Jeep models like an Unlimited Rubicon I think.

AWD is entirely different and much better than most 4x4 vehicles.
I'm learning here, keep going!
Why is AWD different?
And what is the locking and auto lever on my Ford 250 FX4?
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
I'm learning here, keep going!
Why is AWD different?
And what is the locking and auto lever on my Ford 250 FX4?
Where is it? Hubs? If its the hubs, auto will engage and disengage via vacuum pulses while lock is more of a backup for when auto doesnt work. You still have a way to engage the hubs with a vacuum leak. Its just more of a redundency in the system. My 03 hasnt spent much time in 4x4, so the auto selector wasnt engaging the hubs. After a few uses, it magically started working again. I was using it as 2wd low. It was AWESOME having the ability to select low range without engaging the 4x4 for different situations. I might actually plug the vacuum lines to the hubs so my hvac works properly and i can have my selectable hubs back.