Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
the locker is cheaper than a tow truck. if you are looking at anytime being off pavement you could find a soft spot. buy the locking diff you will not regret it.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #44

Hi Brad. Like you I ordered a new 2WD F250 last year to pull a 5th wheel. For the cost the electric locker was a must have for that rare occasion when on a slippery surface.

Already used it to rescue my neighbor's Ram after he dropped the rear off his steep driveway & was about to take out a tree. My right rear began to spin while pulling him, so a flip of the switch to lock the rear & poof... up he came back onto pavement with both of my wheels pulling.

Point being... you won't know when you'll need it until you wish you'd ordered it. Just my $.02 worth.

Mike
430Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #45

I have a 2WD F-250 with a rear locker. How long before your locker engaged? 1/4 spin, 1/2 spin or a few spins?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:27 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a 2WD F-250 with a rear locker. How long before your locker engaged? 1/4 spin, 1/2 spin or a few spins?
Engaging the rear locker while one of the tires is spinning is a great way to destroy the rear diff - trying to mesh two gears turning at different speeds. On my truck, pulling the switch and then gently applying throttle engages the locker instantly - so in answer to your question I'd say "less than 1/4 spin". I've had to use the locker several times in off-road situations where one front tire and one rear tire were pretty much hanging in the air. If I remember correctly, the owner's manual states that the system will not allow it to engage if one of the tires is spinning.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
Engaging the rear locker while one of the tires is spinning is a great way to destroy the rear diff - trying to mesh two gears turning at different speeds. On my truck, pulling the switch and then gently applying throttle engages the locker instantly - so in answer to your question I'd say "less than 1/4 spin". I've had to use the locker several times in off-road situations where one front tire and one rear tire were pretty much hanging in the air. If I remember correctly, the owner's manual states that the system will not allow it to engage if one of the tires is spinning.
An auto locker like those GM uses meshes once wheelspin occurs. Unless one is doing something stupid it'll last a long time. If someone has a 1000HP modified truck with 37" Monster Mudder tires and is stuck in 3' of muck flooring it, well, it'll break. I've been plowing with my 94 with auto locker for 16 years and it hasn't broken yet. It gets used often,as you can imagine.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
An auto locker like those GM uses meshes once wheelspin occurs. Unless one is doing something stupid it'll last a long time. If someone has a 1000HP modified truck with 37" Monster Mudder tires and is stuck in 3' of muck flooring it, well, it'll break. I've been plowing with my 94 with auto locker for 16 years and it hasn't broken yet. It gets used often,as you can imagine.
For the GM that's correct. But he's asking about the Ford which is not an auto-locker but is activated manually with a switch. That's how it works in my F150, in my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and even with the air lockers in my van. Don't want to activate the locker on any of those if one of the tires on an axle is turning at a different speed than the other tire.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
For the GM that's correct. But he's asking about the Ford which is not an auto-locker but is activated manually with a switch. That's how it works in my F150, in my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and even with the air lockers in my van. Don't want to activate the locker on any of those if one of the tires on an axle is turning at a different speed than the other tire.
I'm unfamiliar with that one and there may be different variations on it too. I'd rely on what the owner's manual states for operation.

I know some of my older trucks I had I could not get out of 4wd while rolling whereas the newer ones actually engage and disengage better while slightly rolling. This is why I read the manuals (RTFM) of every new to me rig I get.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
Went with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed auto transmission. Thinking it would be good to get electronic locking since I'm interested in taking it off the paved roads in the future sometime. Don't think I'll ever do anything too crazy with it though where I would need 4WD.
Haven’t read every post here, but my response is that for $390, it’s cheap insurance. Especially on a 2WD. You may never need it, but if you ever have one wheel in loose gravel or sand or even wet grass, and the other of hard ground you’ll be glad you have it if you do, and wish you had it if you don’t.

It also engages very smoothly and easily and it’s a full locker, not limited slip. So when it’s engaged, the truck will buck a bit on turns (don’t want to do this on pavement) but it will get you out of a tight situation if you need more traction.

When I lived in snow country, I always added a Detroit Tru-trac to the front end of my 4x4s. These days life is easier and I stay out of snow, so I just ordered a F250 Lariat diesel 4x4 with electronic locking rear dif. Good enough for what I do. If I were doing it again, now that the 7.3 gas is available, I’d order that and not the 6.7 diesel.

A locking rear is also handy on a boat ramp if you are so inclined.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #51

Agree not to engage the rear locker while the other wheel is spinning. Best to stop, engage the locker knob, then slowly try again to go forward.

Thanks for answering how long it takes to engage the Ford locker. So real close to immediatly.

Now my next question - can the rear locker be engaged then go in reverse? Probaby yes.

I engaged my 4WD once when trying to back a big heavy 5th wheel (probably 20,000 lbs) up a grade in sand. The back wheel was spinning in sand and the front wheel was still on concrete. Engaged 4WD and backed up like I wanted to.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Now my next question - can the rear locker be engaged then go in reverse? Probaby yes.
Absolutely. Works the same whether forward or reverse.

As far as backing up with a heavy load - this is one of the situation in which I almost always put the transfer case in low range. The reverse gear in most trannies these days is geared much too high and, especially with an automatic, can quickly overheat the tranny when trying to back up with a heavy load.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #53

I should have mentioned I engaged 4WD low.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #54

I’m 75 and have worked in construction all of my life. Currently class A full time. In the past Most of my driving was not only in the muddy job sites. But if you have the option and can afford it get a 4x4 and locking diff. There will be a time in your future that you will use it and it will cost less than the wrecker you will pay to get you out of even a marginal situation. Use low range and take your time. It will get you out of trouble.
The truck will be more desirable when it comes time to sell it. Happy Camping!
Old 04-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #55

A Ford package that gives you both 4x4 plus a locking rear differential in the FX-4 package. You will also get skid plates and I think that truck is raised a little. Maybe 1".
This was Ford's off road truck until the Tremor came out.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:29 PM   #56

Rear end info

I have a Chevy 2500 HD 2WD. Love the truck. BUTTTTT..It does not have a locking differential. I just screwed up, because I knew better. I didn't check the window sticker close enough. That being said..This truck will get stuck on any slight incline if it is wet. Don't forget to buy the locker! MOMCAT