Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #1

Super Duty Differentials

Ordered our 2022 F250 and stock option is a 3.55 non-limited slip differential. There is an option to add electronic locking to it for a few hundred. I've researched the different types of differentials and understand physically what is going on. But can someone explain real world use. I should note that I believe the electronic locking only works up to 20 MPH.

Right now our main use is daily driver and towing our ordered Outdoors RV 23DBS to state and national parks. Currently don't have any plans for taking it off of paved roads, but maybe thinking about trying to do some BLM camping in the future.
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #2

Since you don't plan on doing any off roading I don't see the need for an air lock differential. It's only useful if you get stuck and need both back wheels to have traction. If you plan on traveling in snow it might be useful. It might also be useful if you park you rig on the grass and it rains. Your choice.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:50 PM   #3

Good evening BradS7535; Just read your post and you did not mention if the F-250 is 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive. To me, my opinion, I would not consider any vehicle that does not have a rear locking diff. If your ordered truck is 2 wheel drive in any slippery surface you only have 1 wheel drive. A 2 wheel drive truck is usually light in the rear and loses traction very easily. If it's a 4 wheel drive, depending on surface traction, only 2 wheels will have power. My very first trucks did not have locking diffs and spent times just spinning my wheels trying to get going. Do you use that option every day, no, but I run the idea I would rather have it and not need it than need it and don't have it. Just my opinion. Been dying for a new one but the price is just out of this world! Enjoy your new ride when it gets here! Just wanted to add, up here in Wa. state, it's always wet!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
/ you did not mention if the F-250 is 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.
Ordered 2WD. We are in sunny and dry SoCal.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #5

Hi again BradS7535; Thanks for the response. Yes, in sunny Ca. not much need for the locking rear diff. Just a curious question, gas or diesel. My current F250 has the 7.3 diesel. Retired and don't tow so I would go the gas route. The 10K for the diesel is a hard pill to stomach if not towing and just going back and forth to the store, hardware store that is!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Just a curious question, gas or diesel.
Went with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed auto transmission. Thinking it would be good to get electronic locking since I'm interested in taking it off the paved roads in the future sometime. Don't think I'll ever do anything too crazy with it though where I would need 4WD.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:54 AM   #7

I live in Florida and I have a 2017 F-250 2WD with a rear locking differential. I used to have a dumb 4x4 truck. I got it stuck once in a soggy field after a rain. 4x4 did not help. Only two wheels would spin, one rear and 1 front. The wheels with the least traction.

I do not have faith in limited slip as IMHO it is a tiny bit better than 2WD.

We have sand in Florida but I have never used the locking rear differential yet. Once I almost got stuck but 2WD pulled me through.

I would not buy a truck a 2WD truck without a locking rear differential.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
2wd is even more of a reason for a locking diff. Consider your worst case scenario and plan accordingly. Sure you might be a pavement pounder but what about that one time when you have to pull over to check something and the shoulder is soft or is wet grass.
Your lil ol open differential is gonna do its job and send torque to the wheel with the LEAST resistance. You might have one wheel on pavement but your just gonna spin.
YOUR STUCK!
How about backing into a site and having to go up on leveling blocks- you back into the blocks and the dirt is a bit loose- your spinnin again!
YOUR STUCK!

Cheap insurance IMO
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #9

For pickups that have limited traction in the rear, I consider the locking diff essential. It is also a resale value item.

Though you may not think of times you will want it, even simple things like getting into hookup position on wet grass or starting on soft ground (BLM site after a rain) will make it worth the price.
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:16 AM   #10

it's a few hudred dollars; I'd get it for the reasons mentioned.....if you have to, ditch the heated cup holders!

cheers,
Dave
Old 04-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #11

Id never even consider a vehicle with open differentials. I understand that the traction control assisted deal is better, but for what an lsd costs as an option from the factory, no way would i do without. The thing with the locking diffs is that theyre not automatic like an lsd is. If you dont unlock making turns the inside tire will chirp. If available, id do lsd and locking.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

If you are considering going off-pavement then by all means get the locker.

Get the truck in any kind of a twist - uneven road surface where one front tire and one back tire are nearly off the ground and without a locker you are done. That one tire that has no weight on it will just spin. I drive mainly dirt roads (not much pavement where I live) and have come across this situation many times. Lock the rear end - both back wheels are locked together so the tire that is firmly planted on the ground has to turn and you drive right on out of the situation.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #13

What gets me is the wheel with the least traction gets the power and will just spin. Zero power goes to the other wheel. Limited slip is not much better and I do not think it will ever spin the wheel with traction either.

I have seen video of a 2WD truck with a locking rear differential will go places a dumb 4x4 will not go. On a 4x4 get the right side tires on ice, only the right side tires will spin on a Ford.

I saw a 2019 F-250 (I have a 2017 silver) white King Ranch 6.2 Boss engine and was going to really put my negotiating hat on until I saw where I had a rear locking knob it had a little coin holder. I got out of that truck so fast the salesman's head was spinning.

For the $295 option it will be a 'good to have' feature IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #14

A limited slip or locking rear axle is a must IMO. I've seen some Ford 4x4s have a tough go getting their RV out of minor mud or even wet grass when they didn't have a locker! I had no issue doing the same in 2WD with my GM rear locking axle.

An Eaton locker is very popular on GM. Almost all GM trucks sold up here have the option.

Contrary to some beliefs the Eaton locker is a passive unit, meaning you don't need to press a button, turn on a switch and there's no air nor electrical actuation. It is purely mechanical and the 2nd wheel "locks" within a couple of spinning revolutions. On a 4WD with a rear locker it makes for very good traction. I can push 1 ton of snow no sweat.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote