Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 01:17 AM   #1

Super lightweight hitch Anderson, others?

I’m finding the more i research, the more questions.....
I basically settled on Pullrite superglide, kit. (That price increased $55)
Then seeing Anderson kinda a GN adapter to GN, but a reverse GN high in truck bed on lightweight frame. IIRC instead of 400 lb slider a sub 100 lb metal, or 40lb AL thing. For short beds.

To my eye they extended the hitch on the 5th wheel, AND moved the attachment point behind the axle on the truck.

Hope pic worked. It looks to my eye the true point is 10” behind the axles. So why not just mount a 5th hitch that far back?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15F0C913-C9B9-4827-94E0-5AF918835907.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	283573  
Larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #2

You want the hitch to be mounted above the axle for max weight hauling. If you mount the hitch behind the axle, it's like adding a pry lever (moment arm force) force to the rear axle load. Think of the wood block as the axle and the rock as the hitch load. Now try picking up the rock and putting it on top of the wood block instead of using a pry bar.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
You want the hitch to be mounted above the axle for max weight hauling. If you mount the hitch behind the axle, it's like adding a pry lever (moment arm force) force to the rear axle load.

Further, that moment around the rear axle unloads the front axle which is...not good if you enjoy activities such as “steering” and “stopping”.

Some truck/trailer combinations can handle this...I see flat bed 450s and 550s hauling FWs out the oil patch with a hitch mounted way back at the end of the bed pretty frequently but they also tend to have smaller trailer and 2000 pounds of welder at the front of the bed.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

Goosebox. You don't get any lighter than a simple ball in the bed of the truck. Love ours.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Goosebox. You don't get any lighter than a simple ball in the bed of the truck. Love ours.
True. The simplicity and convenience is marvelous. The only issue for me is my new truck sits at the 2020 height while my fifth wheel is an 8 years old height. I can get about an 80 degree turn before the pin box would hit the side rails of my bed cover. It's enough that I can make the 90 degree turn backing up from our not very wide street onto the driveway leading to its parking spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	283584  
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

That was my concern. They are fooling themselves they are not loosing the advantages of a GN/5th hitch over axle. You might as well put hitch behind.
I have seen a guy who did that. But only to move 5th @12 miles in rural area. 45mph...

That this double adaptor is being marketed as a solution for short bed trucks.... concerns me. The idea of a sub 50 lb hitch to remove is great.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #7

I have the Andersen and I really like it. If I were to do it all over again, I would really consider the goosebox. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.

An advantage of the Andersen over the goosebox is that I can very clearly see the ball of the Andersen when I back under it. I would have a hard time seeing a gooseneck ball with the goosebox. It is even worse for me since I drive a standard. The disadvantage is that you have to store your hitch; mine is hanging on the wall in my garage.

A thief may be less likely to steal your trailer with the Andersen adapter on it, it is only a few bolts, but thieves are lazy.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
An advantage of the Andersen over the goosebox is that I can very clearly see the ball of the Andersen when I back under it.
This is a real thing. I'm getting better at lining up, but still want my wife back there for the fine adjustments. Maybe after we've done this a couple seasons it'll be old hat.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
JDT

Quote:
This is a real thing. I'm getting better at lining up, but still want my wife back there for the fine adjustments. Maybe after we've done this a couple seasons it'll be old hat.
I have the cab mounted camera with a centering line on my truck. I can see the ball on my screen so it is pretty easy to line up. I'm still trying to figure out where to stop it so I do have to get out and check to see if the Box is sitting over the ball. I have figured out an inch or so off dead center is okay and it will drop in place.

What I really like is once it is on the ball there is no chance of dropping the fifth wheel on the truck.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
It gets better, but its never as easy as hooking up a hitch you can see. Ive hooked up a ton of goosenecks and the best scenario is to have a good spotter and have the hitch lined up by the time the tailgate is under it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:08 AM   #11

Here is a strange one I saw today
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16EADA11-B1A6-4895-8FA0-D152F0E9E12E.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	284065   Click image for larger version

Name:	F79FAF5C-82FE-4C61-ACBB-72888123A961.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	284066  

Old 05-04-2020, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_minn View Post
Here is a strange one I saw today

That is a goose neck set up. That extension down from the pin box puts a lot of leverage or stress on the pin box. If you decide to use that system, make sure the pin box design can handle that stress.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That is a goose neck set up. That extension down from the pin box puts a lot of leverage or stress on the pin box. If you decide to use that system, make sure the pin box design can handle that stress.
I do wonder once ex cab, crew cabs, short boxes became popular why manufactures didn’t modify front of 5th wheels? Angle in 1’ sides (wild guess with nothing in front of me) just over a foot back. It would improve mpg, you could set cheap hitch without gears, HEAVY weight, easily removable. That stupid little closet either side of bed would be eliminated.
I have seen online video of cab hits by 5th wheel campers. It looked (remember video, scale is hard) that if front of camper 6” narrower each side it would have not hit till well past 90 degrees?
Anyone seen a cab hit in person, or even after, damage to truck, trailer?
IF the first 2’ started @1’ in either side, angled. Would it likely have passed?
Old 05-04-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

I am also a fan of the Reese Goosebox. I looked at the Anderson and would have probably gone with it, but I didn't want to mess with taking things in and out of my truck.

If you are worried about seeing the ball to hook up there are several products to do that. I have also heard that running a tie down strap across the bed allows you to stop when you are lined up.

I have to admit that when my wife is around I have her help me back up. I am probably just as good at hooking up without her..........
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, light, weight