Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #1

Suprising answer from wheel manufacturer re: wheel PSI rating. Thoughts?

Just got off the phone with a lady at Dexstar, who manufactured my tt wheels. I was calling to get the details on the PSI rating of my wheels (I recently purchased upgraded 14-ply, all steel radial, G-rated tires that can handle up to 110psi). Dexstar publishes load ratings (in lbs) for all their wheels on their website, but the pressure rating is nowhere to be found on their site.

Given that my 15" wheels have a load rating of 2860 lbs, I expected to be told they had a PSI rating of approx. 80lbs, but she informed me that while this is a common concern, they removed all PSI ratings from their website several years ago, as they are concerned only with the load on the wheels. "The tires will give out long before there is any issue with the steel wheels due to pressure".

Bottom line, she green-lit me to run a full 110psi on my 15" wheels with a 2860lb load rating. I was planning to run the new tires at 80 psi, given that the tires will still be approx. E-rated at that pressure, but now I'm tempted to throw on high-pressure valve stems and air them up to the max G-rated pressure of 110psi.

Thoughts?
msh45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I can’t see any issue with the wheels, but 30psi more will make them a lot harder so you’ll probably be beating up your trailer quite a bit more. I’ve noticed that people towing trailers take bumps and pot holes a lot faster and harder than folks in coaches, because when you’re riding inside the thing you really notice how destructive a rough road surface can be. So if you do this I’d also be extra careful about how hard you are hitting irregularities in the road.

Also if you don’t have the load to justify the higher psi, you’ll probably wear the centers out of the tread. Best bet is to weigh the load on each axle, or better yet each wheel, consult the load chart for the tires and fill them accordingly, using the highest weight recorded from the weigh-in on every tire.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

PSI is directly related to Load rating

Running 'G' rated tires at 80 psi is not good for the tires

Running 80 psi rated rims at 110 psi is not good

Either buy higher rated rims that are rated for 100 psi use
or Buy 'E' rated tires
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

And for goodness sake, get your trailer weighed when ready to travel, and set your tire pressures to those recommended by the tire manufacturer.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Yep, just because the rims can take 110psi doesn't mean the tires can. ....and more pressure isn't always better. As Elwood58 said, weigh your trailer and check the tire chart for your tires.......start there but certainly don't run more pressure than your tires are rated for or you trailer sticker says to use.

Dave
Old 07-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #6

OP has UPGRADED tires from 'E' to 'G'
Wants to use the Stock Rims...'E' rated at 80psi
But either:
Lower 'G' tire to 80 psi (why buy 'G' rated for 'E' rated use??)
OR increase 'G' tire to 110 psi (stock rims are 80 psi)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP has UPGRADED tires from 'E' to 'G'
Wants to use the Stock Rims...'E' rated at 80psi
But either:
Lower 'G' tire to 80 psi (why buy 'G' rated for 'E' rated use??)
OR increase 'G' tire to 110 psi (stock rims are 80 psi)
Thanks; I need to slow down! LOL

Still not sure why the OP feels the need to run more than 80psi

Dave
Old 07-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #8

Running 110 psi in G tires could make them wear faster in the center. Without enough weight to compress the tire @110 psi will cause it to lose traction under hard braking.
Hitch up with 110 psi and make chalk marks across the tread and see if you actual scrub off the chalk on the outer parts.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Running 110 psi in G tires could make them wear faster in the center. Without enough weight to compress the tire @110 psi will cause it to lose traction under hard braking.
Hitch up with 110 psi and make chalk marks across the tread and see if you actual scrub off the chalk on the outer parts.
Running 'G' tire at 80 psi will wear inner/outer thread

'G' Rated tire is for loads higher then 'E' rated

OP should have bought better quality 'E' tires
Old 07-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Just my 2 cents.
Weigh the TT or look at the GVW in your manual or data tag, I believe you said you already have the G Tires- Most all G's I've ever seen and used myself recommend 110 PSI--If you experiment with 80 psi your gonna build excessive Heat and Always install High Pressure Steel Valve Stems. I towed an Enclosed Race Trailer close to 250.000 miles-( not much different than a TT in most respects) 9400 lbs loaded Dexter 6K axles- Always used G Rated 110 psi tires and never had a tire failure (Goodyear G614)
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #11

This from Dexstar wheel mfg and much the same from several other trailer wheel mfg that I've seen.

Dexter
Wheels and Tires
The wheels and tires should be matched in capacity to the axle whenever possible. The Gross Axle Weight Rating of the running gear will be based on the lowest rated component.

Tires are designed to be mounted on specific rim sizes and contours as defined by The Tire and Rim Association. Mismatching of these vital components is dangerous and can result in serious injuries, catastrophic failure or poor performance and reduced service life.

Tires of greater capacity should never be mounted on wheels of a lower capacity since most end-users will inflate and load them to the rating embossed in the tire. This practice can result in dangerous failure of the wheel which may lead to an accident. ***

Having towed GN/5th wheel/pintal hitch trailers with 14"/15" 16"/17.5" tires for a living I've seen a lot of ruined wheels from overload and over pressured. Steel wheels bead seats can split suddenly without any warning. Aluminum wheel can crack/break in the valley or bead seats. I've had both happen.
I am not a fan of over tiring a trailer above a 15 percent load rating.

I would suspect anyone saying a 2860 lb rated 15" wheel can handle 110 psi...unless its a Specialty wheel made for that use.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 PM   #12

This is the OP's FIRST post

OP joined the forum on 7/27 (thats Tuesday) made the post at 11:41 and was last logged on the site (with their user ID) at 11:44 am.

OP has not told us what year, make, specific model of trailer they have

OP has not told us what brand, and size tire they are using

OP has not told us how many lugs or how wide his steel 15 inch rims are

All of that being said..................

For a 15 inch trailer rim to have a 2860 lb rating, it has to be a 6 lug/on 5.5 circle rim (except for "Directional" and "Solid Center" patterns which are limited to 2600 lbs) (five lug rims are limited to 2200 lb ratings, 2150 for "Directional" and "Solid Center" pattern wheels.)

Still trying to figure out what tires the OP might have. I have GY Endurance ST225/75-15E tires rated at 2830 lbs (which is the highest rated Endurance ST tire GY makes in 15 inch.) and I have mine on Sendel T03 "bullet" wheels with 6/5.5 lug pattern and the wheels are rated at 3200 lbs, but I have 3500 lb axles and thus 1750 lb spindles (and hubs), so I am way "over tired" for my 7000 lb trailer.

By the way, for those that are not aware, Dexstar is NOT owned by Dexter Axle. Dexter Axle sold the steel wheel division a number of years ago to Kenda Group, and not to bad mouth them, because the wheels are 100% American made and of good quality.

Charles
Old 07-28-2021, 04:49 AM   #13

And the G rated myth on lighter trailers lives on.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #14

This might be the tire he bought.

https://www.prioritytire.com/transea...-trailer-tire/