Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #1

HI There,

I am looking for some advice on adding a sway control component to a boat trailer being pulled behind a fifth wheel.

This set up is not legal in all states and provinces, but here in Sask. It is still legal and my father insists on towing his boat behind. He had a friend pulling a trainer and boat set up and after being passed by a semi, the whole rig flipped. Luckily no one was seriously injured. He is concerned about sway with his boat and is looking at installing a friction sway control arm.

He Is currently not experiencing Sway, but is considering a friction sway control as a preventative measure.

My question is will this help reduce sway?

The other question is that the boat trailer has a straight bar up to the hitch and not a v shaped one straight back from the hitch as most cabin trailers do. If he installs the sway arm 24" back from the hitch it will be basically straight back and not angled as shown in the installation instructions. Will this diminish sway or will it still work the same?

Any recommendations?

FYI he is set up with proper tongue weight and level etc.
stalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 AM   #2

HI There,

I am looking for some advice on adding a sway control component to a boat trailer being pulled behind a fifth wheel.

This set up is not legal in all states and provinces, but here in Sask. It is still legal and my father insists on towing his boat behind. He had a friend pulling a trainer and boat set up and after being passed by a semi, the whole rig flipped. Luckily no one was seriously injured. He is concerned about sway with his boat and is looking at installing a friction sway control arm.

He Is currently not experiencing Sway, but is considering a friction sway control as a preventative measure.

My question is will this help reduce sway?

The other question is that the boat trailer has a straight bar up to the hitch and not a v shaped one straight back from the hitch as most cabin trailers do. If he installs the sway arm 24" back from the hitch it will be basically straight back and not angled as shown in the installation instructions. Will this diminish sway or will it still work the same?

Any recommendations?

FYI he is set up with proper tongue weight and level etc.
stalt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #3

It probably won't work unless he's only going to mak right hand turns. That is, if that sway controller is on the right side.

Pulling double is really never a good idea, and I'd recomend against it. There are those who do it and say it's fine, but to me, if he's worried about loosing control, that should be the sign right there not to do it.

Check your laws. You may be able to legally pull it, but the second trailer may require brakes.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #4

I've used a friction sway control on my double for the last four years. Mounted on a straight tongue sno-mobile trailer loaded with quads,kayaks, etc. (approx 2400#) During install, welding the little ball to the side of the ball mount, I cycled the trailer through hard left and right turns manually. It doesn't kink through a normal turning radii. You can kink it when backing up, but you've stuffed the trailer up against the rear bumper of the RV by then. I followed the mounting placement instructions for the straight application.

Usage has been great. Vastly dampened the swaying experienced with this setup. The neutral placement of the axle on the trailer, made it seesaw 4-5" side to side over 65 mph, not so with damper. I really crank it down too. Biggest help was adding a second axle though behind the original. Boat trailers with the rearward axle tend to tow stabiler, so in your favor already.

This topic always seems to generate the same unqualified warnings and cautions. Yes, it significantly harder. No, it's not for everybody. And, yes, it can be done safely. 8000 miles of it myself. Slow down. Look waaaaaaaayy ahead. Keep your equipment in tip top shape. Buy a proportional brake controller. Be prepared to unhook in a tight pinch. Most of the unsafe RVer's I see are hauling TT's at 75 plus swaying back and forth behind a minivan or Cherokee. YMMV.
DoubleBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #5

Doubleboss said right in his last paragraph. A friction control device has worked well for me, I really tighten it up. If your second trailer has surge brakes you can't use that type of device as it will not allow the brakes to engage properly. Hope this helps.
Dragboat Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #6

I pull a 10'cargo and I will never go sway less You can also back up straight if in a bind but as said no turning in reverse a sway is a must for I am 62'1/2'long and sway a bit at that distance and You will know it.I can say also check with the sway barr maker about mounting on the strait toung as mine is the VEE style and I know there may even be 2 kinds out there or mounts! Good luck John