Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #1

Sway control question

Hi there -

I have a weight distribution hitch that has a friction-based sway control mechanism. The hitch itself can rotate horizontally as the bar on each side pushes its connection point on either side of the hitch, and there is adjustable friction in the vertical hinge that is doing the rotating. There is an allen nut that I can adjust to increase or decrease the friction.

When the dealer who I bought my trailer from was showing me the ropes, he showed me the allen nut and told me it would adjust the sway control. When I asked him how tight it should be, he said (thoughtfully) 'If you think there is too much sway, tighten it. If you think its too tight, loosen it up some. Right about here is where I'd have it." I wasn't sure how to implement that advice, but I didn't think it was likely to get any clearer so I didn't ask further.

So, with his adjustment, there was enough friction that I couldn't effectively move the hitch around by hand (no trailer attached). I could give it a hard knock with the heel of my hand and nudge it some, I'd have to hit it hard enough so that it did hurt a bit, basically it wasn't stuck, but I couldn't really move it.

After towing for a couple thousand miles, I can now move the hitch around by hand (no trailer attached). I can feel some friction, but I can move it smoothly back and forth. I am inclined to tighten it back up, but thought I'd ask for opinions on how tight it should be, in general, and if there is any way to assess if I have it adjusted to an optimal spot. I guess too loose and I am not getting as much sway damping as I might need, and too tight and I might have some trouble turning the trailer a low speeds when backing up. These are just guesses, though. I didn't notice any sway when I was towing, so me adjusting the friction nut on the hitch would only be because I noticed that I and now move it around by hand and before I wasn't really able to.

Any advice on how tight to keep it?
MarkSaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 12:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have a manual? I'd start there if you don't have one.

In general, I don't think you'd want to be able to easily move it by and I personally would tighten it up a bit if you can. Certainly if you can move it, your trailer will move it very easily. I don't think it should be super tight though.

When I had a TT and used the equalizer hitch, it had bars that were friction based. With a bar installed, it was fairly tight to move by hand and I usually had to lean on it with my knee to move it.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #3

Also look at YouTube. YouTube will usually have alot of helpful tips.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #4

What brand/model is it?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:32 AM   #5

Its a ReCurve R3.

The manual says what the dealer said, basically.

==

Activating the Sway Control System
Activation of the sway control is easy - simply tighten the activation bolt until the desired sway resistance is achieved. [use 48758 wrench (11,7c)]

Disengaging the Sway Control System for hook up and
travel in adverse road conditions
To disengage the sway control function - Loosen the activation bolt until the
clamp force is removed.
==

So I guess I'll shoot for tight enough so I can't smoothly rotate the hitch by hand.

I haven't towed before owning this trailer, I don't know what not enough sway control would feel like. I guess too much sway control on a slippery surface would mean the trailer would stay straight when I want it to be rotating around the hitch.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSaxton View Post
Its a ReCurve R3.

I haven't towed before owning this trailer, I don't know what not enough sway control would feel like. I guess too much sway control on a slippery surface would mean the trailer would stay straight when I want it to be rotating around the hitch.
I looked briefly on Youtube for videos of the adjustment, but didn't see anything really super relevant according to video titles (I didn't watch any).

Really sway control comes into play when driving and being passed by semi's or passing semi's or larger vehicles. Slippery surfaces are a concern, but in every day driving, it's not on the top of my list. What you'll find is that when you get passed going up a long grade by a semi running 75mph up the hill, it'll push you around and you'll feel the trailer sway just a bit. What you want to feel is the entire package moving to the side in one plane (truck and trailer together). You'll get pushed out and then sucked back in. In time, you'll get the feel of that, be able to anticipate it, and steer into and out of it and not get moved very much at all.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:34 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Mark, I also have the R3 WDH and really donít know how much to adjust for the perfect sway control.
But itís much easier installing the trunion bars when itís loose. I then tighten it snug before driving away.
Sammicic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #8

Thanks for those comments - very helpful.

Sammicic - I know what you mean. I drop the trailer on the hitch and then pull forward a bit to straighten it, then I put the bars on. I considered loosening then re-tightening and now that I know it self-loosens over time anyway, I'll start doing that.

Tags
sway