Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
I owned a Hensley for about 8 years it was a fantastic hitch.
I would not hesitate a moment to buy another if I were to go back to a bumper pull.
This oversteer you speak of is a non issue.

What move on doesn’t get is that any rig can jackknife, but the 2 PPP hitches out there make it much harder for that to happen. I will take my ProPride over anything on the market for bumper pull. There is no comparison.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 07:47 PM   #30

We can all make statements and give our opinions, but why not have a test report?
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
We can all make statements and give our opinions, but why not have a test report?

I’ve stated the facts. Post you’re report.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:07 PM   #32

You don't have a test report. But I'm sure Hensley does. Ask them for a copy. Then well talk.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #33

Sway Elimination hitch recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
You don't have a test report. But I'm sure Hensley does. Ask them for a copy. Then well talk.

Thought you had one( report). Have you ever actually used a Hensley?
Old 05-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molfpedal View Post
Thought you had one( report). Have you ever actually used a Hensley?

That’s what I thought[emoji79][emoji79]
Old 05-20-2021, 02:54 PM   #35

No Sway Chevy

I am pulling a 34 ft 2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite with a 2020 Chevy 1500 Silverado. My hitch weight is considerably more than what yours is. I have an Equalizer hitch and have absolutely NO sway whatsoever. I also experience no “push” or movement when passing or being passed by 18 wheelers. Highly recommend the Equalizer!
Nutz4OSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #36

Hitch Weight, % of Overall Weight, Then Reese Dual-Cam WDH

I didn't look up the truck specs for towing, but that's pretty easy.

After verifying the truck's capability, check the tongue tongue weight: it should be 10-15% of the total trailer weight. Might want to shift weight forward.

If it still sways, the Reese dual-cam is awesome. It acts like the saloon doors in the old west movies: it resists outward movement and actively moves things back to center.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66086.html
RiverRnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #37

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbarton View Post
Hi. looking for recommendations/suggestions/thoughts about sway elimination weight distribution hitch. Towing a 2015 Forest River Salem - dry weight 6700# plus 1100# of gear - I am at 7800#. Towed with a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi Ext. cab with weight distribution hitch. HORRIBLE sway. Used Add on sway controller, that made it worse. Now have a 2015 Ford F150 Super crew 5.0 V8. Same deal The sway, especially with ANY wind is horrid. Are there any sway elimination hitches out there that don't cost 2k?

If you want a cute little f150 get rid of the rv and find something else to do. If you want to rv get a f250 or f350 that will control the trailer then keep the rv.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #38

To small of TV for the job, regardless of hitch choice. No idea why you would trade 1 1/2 ton for another, for towing that size trailer. Stopping and wind create many situations making that un safe. Move up to at least a 250, then consider a Pro Pride hitch, which is a newer version of the Hensley. I speak from having one, and worth the money, if safty is any consideration. The internet is loaded with light weight pickups flipping over while pulling to large of trailer. Think of your family, if not your self on the safty aspect. Dont mean to be brutal but sometimes direct is best. Happy C
Gforceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
4 load rang E tires on the truck , side wall pressure on the trailer tires and possibley a higher load range trailer tires.

almost all of the new hitches set up correctly should be able to control the trailer . The hensley arrow or the new model from hensley is the top of the best , but the price is my issue with it.

One of the guys I work with is very happy with his Anderson . I have never use that hitch. He said compared to his friction hitch did do much to stop sway. He was towing with a crew cab 150 and a very short bed. His payload on the truck was a round 1200lbs so its not much of a truck. His trailer is about 5200lbs. The truck has a 5.4l and is a 2008 , Now he has F350 crew 8' bed with a 6.4L diesel and the truck laughs at that trailer. His F150 made him not want to pull the trailer now he doesn't care how far or where. My point is same trailer different towing experience with just a truck upgrade. At 7000lbs your topped out with 1/2 ton and a long trailer just adds to the problems. longer heavier truck is be biggest change you can make but you can make your 1/2 ton better with some changes .

trailer shocks helps with stability , up graded shocks on the truck will help regardless of the miles on the OEM. Tire load range E on the truck and NOT mud tires or really aggressive tread. michelin LTX defender is my suggestion. AS for the hitch a properly set up hitch that keeps the weight on the front axle of the truck should be stable to the point your able to pull it at 65mph and be near a large truck.

I replaced the passenger car rated tires on my Silverado 1500 Z71 with HD towing package , with Cooper Discoverer AT3 load range E. What a difference. No more tire squat which contributes to instability. My trailer weighs about 7000lbs loaded. Also switched to the Equalizer 1200 lb hitch. It has built in sway control. My toy hauler has a tongue weight close to 900lbs. The hitch is rated at 1200lbs and the truck at 10,000 trailer weight.

Would love to have a 2500, had one ordered lat yer, but covid hit and no more trucks.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #40

When I first brought home my new TT, I thought I had sway problems, also. Turns out I had to make a couple small adjustments and the problem is no more. It turns out my problem was not trailer sway, but rather too light steering on the truck. So I adjusted the bars on my Equalizer hitch to put more weight back on the front axle. Then I inflated the truck tires to max sidewall pressure (just using the load range D tires that came with the truck). Then I installed Timbrens on the rear axle. And the truck handles perfectly.

Now, I have not put many miles on, but plenty enough to know my changes made a big difference. Took it to the scales and verified my setup is right. Also, my towing is going to be through the flatlands of Michigan and Ohio, so no grades for me.

The point is that setup and minor adjustments can make a big difference.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #41

I have a 2019 F150 Lariat w/ Max tow hauling a 2020 Jayco Eagle HT that weighs 8800 loaded to travel. I’ve hauled it from Detroit to Tampa twice with no problems with sway.My hitch is a Reese Dual Cam dialed in to return the same height at front wheel wells as not hitched. I did change out the weak P rated tires for Michelin Defender E rated. I set my cruise at 67 the whole trip mountains on I 75 and all. Never a problem. If there’s 3 lanes i try to stay in the center lane to avoid all the idiots that never learned how to “merge” if only 2 lanes i stay in the right lanes and those same idiots can just learn to figure it out. You don’t need a 3/4 Ton truck.
Lorenclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #42

Best hitch IMO

20 years ago, I had a trailer that swayed all over the place. My friend driving behind me said it was so bad it occasionally got on two wheels. So I bought the Hensley hitch (https://hensleymfg.com/) and it totally eliminated the sway! The design is based on the trapazoid concept.. push one way and it goes the opposite way.They are pricey but it was worth it to me. I bought one of their demo models for about 30% off. I used it for about 2 years and when I bought a motorhome, I sold the Hensley hitch to another happy camper. You will never regret it! Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch